Empty Canvas - Need Suggestions and Ideas!
j450n74y
Just made an offer on the house, and the whole house has a comtemporary sorta style which we find it's been tastefully done, but not really our style. we really prefer the modern and uber cool look, but with the current design and style of the house, feel it's almost impossible to change...Please note that all furniture will be removed and we will only be left with light fittings and the blinds and the kitchen cabinets/stove and ovens. As such, we are starting from an empty house (empty canvas) and are looking at making changes before we move in. The current pictures show how the previous owner has decorated it. with some changes in the layout they have had previously...

Please dont get confused in regards to the layout of the TV and the sofa as there is currently 2 different layouts. One layout has the TV under the mirror and one layout has the white couch underneath the mirror.

Had a few things we want to change, but may not be able to afford to as yet.. but lets see what ideas you have.

1) we dislike the green wall, but need ideas on what colours would suit...esp in regard to point (2). Take note that they've got a white skirting on the wall (runs under the mirror) which would be hard to remove, and would need to be painted as well...and this goes around the living room and to one end of the kitchen as well.... (near the fridge)

2) the peach tiles in the living room and kitchen ..we dislike this and find it hard to match anything but are unable to rip it up to pay for wood/bamboo right now... which is what we would prefer.... as the rooms are currently wood. We need to take this into consideration in regards to furniture etc. Any ideas to get around this?

3) the kitchen and living areas are joint and pretty small (pictures may look deceptive), and we would like to have table for at least 6 ppl as we would have family and friends over (instead of the table of four they have currently) which is tucked away in a corner...near the fridge currently
Barbara Ann Holmes - Lintels & Lallies
First of all, congratulations on making an offer for this home!

Since you like modern, I would suggest painting the walls a light cool steel grey. I would carry the color right over the trim. This will make the space feel bigger. You can even carry the color into the kitchen since your appliances are stainless. With one unified color there will be less contrast between rooms, again, giving you a larger "feel".

The flooring...the rug that is there now is much to small for the space. I would simply get a much larger rug that fits at least one third under your furniture. That will cover the tile, give more warm to the space, and you can find some really great modern textures to introduce. A larger rug will also designate the two different "zones" in a less obvious way. (instead of through paint)

Seating is a little more tricky because of the hallway...do you have space for an island? If not, I have seen coffee tables that double for eating...the top lifts up to allow for more seating. So, maybe check online for multifunctional convertible furniture.
I hope this helps!
Good luck & I hope your offer is accepted!
April 27, 2012 at 4:18am   
michigammemom
You might consider using a drop-leaf gateleg table in your room. With leaves folded down, it could be used as a kind of console beneath a wall mounted TV. With leaves extended, you could easily seat guests; perhaps paired with ghost chairs.

I would remove the oddly placed wall moldings. It will require a minimal amount of patching and sanding, but go a long way in helping you achieve the uber cool look you desire. Also remove the ornate ceiling medallion and think about replacing your very traditional kitchen door. Love the idea of gray walls...it will neutralize the peach tile.
April 27, 2012 at 6:10am     
Chandani
Hi my first instinct was the same as Barbara Ann's- to paint it a grey and to carry the colour (which ever colour you chose) into the kitchen. If you wanted to paint the area above the trim a different colour, I'd suggest keeping in the same depth of colour as the bottom half of the wall... maybe add a bit of colour to the grey to give it a slightly different shade. Lots of paint stores will allow you to customize a colour this way. A hit of lavender?

If you want to change the window coverings panel blinds would work with the modern look you are after. An inexpensive option is: http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/60143746/
Or you can do a transparent white with a graphic pattern? http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/60102883/
or a combination....
I believe you can also buy the hardware and choose your own fabric to make the panels out of...but these might work with the grey?

I'd change the floors...but it might not be in the budget right now. Definitely agree about a larger area rug.

Can you do a round glass table in the kitchen area? Or do a lacquered table with ghost chairs? It would work with the modern look you are after. BTW, I love the plaster ceiling medallion. Would not touch that.
April 27, 2012 at 6:54am   
j450n74y
hi guys..whoa..i realised what a newbie i am at this when i had to search what ghost chairs/drop-leaf gate leg tables were!

A) GREY WALLS
love the suggestions. grey walls I'm thinking would look fantastic, but was wondering if it was more of a light grey or a dark grey?
eg:
1) Jewell Street Addition
2) Classic Coastal Colonial Renovation - the Anti McMansion
3)Modern living

I've found a lot of pictures with grey walls but they all seem to pair well with nice wooden floors..not tiles =(
and when you say to the kitchen, does this include the area above the cabinets, where the stove and range hood is as well?

Chandani: could you explain more regarding the other paint colour as I'm not too sure what colour to imagine for above the panel.

B) RUG
any suggestions to what kind of rug and colours would pair well with a grey wall? In my head I have a very simple and dull black or dark blue rug...but that doesn't look very nice at all..some examples would be greatly appreciated... Im starting to realise I'm not very creative with this!!

C) ISLAND/TABLE
there is space for a small island, nothing too big as it will cut off the hallway, but i'm thinking it will also result in the kitchen being less 'open' as such.

Have actually thought about a convertible table which i've seen previously that has glass panels that can convert it to a larger table when needed, but the one I know off starts off as a table of 6 and maybe changes to a table of 10 when fully open which will be too big for my space.

You wouldn't go with a wooden table would you. Glass will probably be better?

Chandani: when you say lacquered table do you mean a glass style or a black/white solid colour lacquered table:
1) Rocca Table - Black and White Lacquer Table
or
2) Flying Point

D) WALL MOULDINGS AND CEILING
i don't trust myself to do any of the sanding etc as we're not very handy at all, and will even need to youtube and google how to paint a wall properly! and we probably won't be able to get anyone in to do it for us ..as our funds will probably be all tied up in buying furniture etc! but i do like the idea of removing it, but do not trust myself to do it!!

D) GHOST CHAIRS
love the idea of the ghost chairs.. ..will definitely look into this.

E) WINDOW TRIMS
We are going to keep the wooden blinds... do think a change will tie in with the whole theme, but for now the whole house has the same blinds running through all the rooms ...and they're pretty new and quite nice as well.
April 27, 2012 at 8:25am   
Chandani
Hi,
Paint colour- I think you simply need to get a bunch of chips and try them out in your lighting. I'd say a midtone. Think about when you will be using the space more- day night and consider the colour during the day and night. The second colour could be a slight variation of what you have on the walls. So... say your accent colour is purple, you can ask your paint dealer to tint your grey with a bit of purple. Start out with a small amount, test it... see what it looks like dry in combination with the grey and add more purple if necessary. I suggested the purple b/c a grey-lavendar reads neutral.

Rug- hard to suggest without knowing your furniture. A shag/flokati could work. Make sure that there is some variation in the colour or it will show every little speck!

Table- I simply meant a high shine painted finish. I love upcycling... so you could simple find a great round pedestal table and have it sprayed (or if you have a space, do it yourself). If you are keeping the floor, maybe a dark stained wood might be the best option.

If you will be keeping the blinds, I'd do some floor length panels in a soft fabric to frame them up. You could get rods with straight and corner extensions so that you can have one continuous rod and do panels flanking each of the windows.
April 27, 2012 at 9:44am   
Barbara Ann Holmes - Lintels & Lallies
By the time you tackle these projects, you'll be a pro in no time!

I'm on maternity leave...and still have to have my design "fix"...so I'm attaching a rough idea of colors & things to look for when you shop that I feel will work for your space & its existing features that you won't be changing anytime soon.

The colors are from Benjamin Moore. Keep in mind, that 'contrasts' are what make a space look smaller. So, by keeping a monochromatic (tone on tone) look, the room(s) will feel larger. Depending on what your furniture looks like, will determine how dark you want your wall colors.

Don't get overwhelmed, you know more than you think you do! ;)
April 27, 2012 at 9:52am     
Barbara Ann Holmes - Lintels & Lallies
...and apparently Houzz.com has file requirements I need to look into. If I have time to research their file size/type I'll repost. Otherwise feel free to shoot me an e-mail & I'll send the file to you directly.
April 27, 2012 at 10:09am   
Barnhart Gallery
Congrats! This is a long thread already, and I apologize for a rushed answer for now. For your space I want to go almost navy blue to fight back that bit of pinkishness. I think it's that white stripe of molding that would make it look fresh. If you do a medium to dark gray over the green, you could still do a navy and white rug -- I just posted a photo that had one that pops to mind --
April 27, 2012 at 10:12am   
j450n74y
Hi chandani. Thanks for the comments! Love the ideas. Would you happen to have an example of what you mean with framing the blinds?

Will definitely look into what paint options we have here in Australia...

Barbara . Thanks so much! Not sure we have Benjamin Moore paints in Australia .. But would love to see what you've got there! Have just sent you an email..

I guess we also need to establish what kind of furniture suits this house and the style we are lookin for. I thought we may have played it safe and gone with a black leather or similar L shaped sofa and putting a tv beneath where the mirror is currently.. The tv will be bigger than what it currently is and may include an entertainment unit etc... Not sure if that will take up too much space... But we have a pretty big tv with the amps and DVD player etc....
April 27, 2012 at 10:28am   
houssaon
The space will look great painted grey. I did my living room in Benjamin Moore's Storm and I love it: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/storm#ce_s=storm It is a medium tone. I painted the ceiling a light blue. Make sure you use a matte (washable) or flat finish. The blinds will look good next to the grey, too.

Paint the trim that is at the top of the window area the same color as the wall rather than removing it. The other trim should be a fresh white.

I agree that the door should be replaced with a modern one when you have the funds. The medallion should go.

Black and white rugs are very popular now and would look good with your floor. I like this one: The Sandberg Home See what a black and white rug looks like on a light tile floor: A Shelter Island fisherman's cottage That photo has the ghost chair in the arrangement. the info said that they are stackable, which would be good when you aren't using them and I like that you can move them from the living area to the dining area when needed.

Good luck!
April 27, 2012 at 10:37am   
Stacie @ Daily Design Elixir
Congrats on the new house! I actually think that painting the walls white would be your best bet. The reason being that it will open up your entire space and will go great with the tile you have now (until you get bamboo!). I just painted my own living room white last year and was fearful that it would be stark and boring. But, it feels super modern and airy - plus you can add pops of color with accents like pillows, rugs, etc!

I agree about the drop leaf table votes above.

Have a great time updating the space!

If you want more of my tips, visit me at www.dailydesignelixir.com
April 27, 2012 at 10:44am   
j450n74y
Thanks for the picture Barnhart.

hi houssaon - did you mean the wood/brown coloured trim on top of the blinds?

this benjamin moore paint is proving popular. unfortunately i can't find anything about it in Australia =(

Guys I've also attached more photos of the house. Don't know if this changes anything. The previous owner renovated the house with a certain theme as you can see (changes def needed in the master bedroom definitely!!) and everything has a sorta classical feel to it..including the closet doors..and the bathroom in the master is all peachy coloured too.. (nothing we can really do here without spending big money) whereas the 2nd bathroom is a bit better in a black/white theme..
April 27, 2012 at 10:49am   
j450n74y
and some outdoor pictures here.. consensus is that most people don't like the diagonal pillars. anyway to make this into a unique feature of the house instead of a weird eyesore?

probably getting a bit ahead of myself, but getting excited by all the awesome tips and comments..so please keep em coming!
April 27, 2012 at 10:52am   
Barbara Ann Holmes - Lintels & Lallies
What a neat house! I'm not sure what material the beams are/if they'd have to be sandblasted first, but I can see them painted in black exterior paint as well as the the sofit supports. The black & brick will give it an industrial feel.
April 27, 2012 at 11:06am   
Barbara Ann Holmes - Lintels & Lallies
Here is a visual for the "brick with black beams". Imagine as an exterior...

April 27, 2012 at 11:14am     
michigammemom
Once you have your gray walls, you might consider a rug something like this. It would coordinate with black, gray, white....and look great with your cabinets. http://www.westelm.com/products/ikat-links-rug-b854/?pkey=crugs-flooring
April 27, 2012 at 11:45am     
April 27, 2012 at 11:52am     
houssaon
This is a great house!

I was referring to the trim that is about 3/4 the way up the wall. I would love to see the supports painted an electric color making the a design statement.

I wonder if you need the gutters and leaders with all the hardscape, especially where there is a wide overhang.

Isn't it funny, we're having the discussion around the world!
April 27, 2012 at 3:36pm   
j450n74y
Hi guys. Thanks so much again! The beams are wood, and it does rain here in winter.. So def need need the gutters etc haha.

I could imagine the beams red initially .. But not so sure anymore ...
Black sounds good.. But unsure if it will have the same effect as the black on brick industrial look as that was metal...

In regards to framing the window... Would that create a more contemporary/classical feel? We are trying to make it less of that and more modern and feel blinds will do that more so than curtains? Those curtains do look nice those...
April 27, 2012 at 6:13pm   
j450n74y
Hi guys... More excited than ever now! Our offer just got accepted this afternoon!!

We walked past a replica store today, and had a look at some of their furniture..Eg the Noguchi tables etc ... Mmm

They also has some ghost chairs as well.. But we found that it was a bit too plasticky and cheap... How do you avoid this?
I saw this at Ikea too http://www.ikea.com/aa/en/catalog/products/S19885712/
And this http://www.ikea.com/aa/en/catalog/products/60160463/#/20162077

What do you guys think?

I saw this, and thought its similar to what you guys were talking about in regards to 2 colors and this has the trim as well...except this is ina bathroom....

Everyone's probably still asleep half way across the world, but would love to hear any comments! Settlement will take a month, so a whole lotta time toplan carefully before we move in...
April 28, 2012 at 12:45am   
j450n74y
hi guys.. was also thinking about it, and i think as this house is a unit in the back it doesn't have an "entrance". was thinking that to make the gate/front more presentable, it would nice to have a gate of some sort?

right now the gate doesn't say much and looks straight through into the courtyard..

what do you think of a wooden gate similar to this?
Menlo Park Modern

Palm Springs
http://www.woodfordgatemakers.com.au/images/gallery/timber-jarrah-3-full.jpg

any suggestions or other pictures you guys know about?
April 28, 2012 at 4:52am   
j450n74y
no more comments? =(
April 30, 2012 at 7:39am   
Barbara Ann Holmes - Lintels & Lallies
As far as modernizing the Master Bath, check out these colors that will work with your existing tile. Changing your fixtures & adding accents/towels in these colors will help until you are ready to replace the tile & maybe get a sleeker vanity & vessel bowl. Did you get my email for your Master Bedroom?
April 30, 2012 at 8:10am   
houssaon
Hi,
I like your Ikea chairs and the white version of the table. Also like the way the ceiling was panted the same color as the space above the trim. That would work. You could enance the entryway with a variety of potted plants from very tall to small.

Those gates are very attractive, but are more of a barrier than a welcoming.

Good luck with you new house.
April 30, 2012 at 12:24pm   
j450n74y
hi guys.. still thinking about furniture for kitchen/living room. saw this and thought this was more or less perfect in terms of size and colour and style...
dining table/chairs + ottoman and living room chairs..
May 10, 2012 at 8:14pm     
j450n74y
Hi guys

Do you think painting the cornice on the wall or leaving it white will be better?

June 1, 2012 at 6:18am   
Barbara Ann Holmes - Lintels & Lallies
Hi there! Have you moved in yet?
Are you referring to the living room area? If so...
For a modern look, I would paint the picture rail (the moulding that is on the wall a third of the way down) the same color as the wall. It will just give an architectural feel, verses a contrasted moulding look. Then, leave the crown moulding (moulding against ceiling) white
June 1, 2012 at 7:26am   
j450n74y
Hi Barbara.. Getting very close! Within 2 weeks so trying to finalize the paint before moving in! 2 colors or 1 colour, and darker grey or lighter grey at the bottom/top? And if 2 colors, should the picture rail be the same colour as the bottom2/3 or the top 1/3??

Timber inspector says I need to sand the eaves and beams and give it 2 new coats of paint as it's worn off a bit. So definitely need to repaint those beams..still undecided..there's 2white plastic gutter drains that go down 2 of the diagonal beams as well..
June 1, 2012 at 7:37am   
Barbara Ann Holmes - Lintels & Lallies
It depends on how close the colors are. If you keep the two greys close, I'd put the lighter on the top, so the darker grounds the space. The rail I would paint the darker of the two colors. Select two colors, if your goal is to create something a little more unique. If your goal is to make the space feel larger, I would do just one color. I'm not sure what paint sources your have available. But if you have samples they are usually in gradients from light to dark...so if you pick two that are no further than two gradients away from each other, you should have good selections,that won't be too busy. Hopefully that makes sense.

For the outside, you can always "prime" in white primer first, then you can see how that looks and decide if you want the paint to be light or darker etc...

Can't wait to see pics of whatever you guys decide, have fun!
June 1, 2012 at 8:32am   
j450n74y
thanks Barbara. great help as always. what do you think of the following..had a play with a website which let me map out the living room...
June 1, 2012 at 9:21am   
j450n74y
any other furniture arrangement suggestions?
June 1, 2012 at 9:22am   
Barbara Ann Holmes - Lintels & Lallies
Sorry it took so long to get back to you...did you already purchase an L shaped sofa? I think your placement is good, but the sofa size might be a little overwhelming...maybe try to get one with a shorter chaise. Or better yet, just a sofa and two chairs. (putting chairs and a round accent table by the windows) that will give you more flexibility for future arrangments. Without being in the space it is hard for me to advise on scale/placement...
June 2, 2012 at 3:51pm   
j450n74y
I did think it was too big. This was to see what the biggest sofa i could fit in ... But haven't bought anything yet. Any suggestions as to what colour sofa with the grey walls? We were looking at black or white leather.. And as for the 2 chairs.. Same style/model or completely different?

Would a 3 seat (facing the tv) and 2 seat sofa (facing the kitchen) work with a table on the corner?
June 2, 2012 at 8:19pm   
Barbara Ann Holmes - Lintels & Lallies
Black or white will keep with the modern feel, however if you go with a different shade of grey, the furniture wont contrast the walls as much and will make the room feel larger. I'm not a fan of matching everything because it looks like you just put your room together based off a cataloge. So I would recommend a medium to dark grey sofa and two black or two white chairs. The chairs should be same "modern" look but I wouldn't select something from the same line as the sofa. Yes, you can do a 2 seater, and chairs on the opposite side. But if you don't do the chairs, it might look very heavy to have all your furniture up against the corner. Just something to think about. Happy shopping!
June 3, 2012 at 6:18am   
Chandani
Hi- I don't think you need to restrict yourself to black and white furniture because you are planning paint the walls grey. I love the look of brown, taupe & champagne with grey. With white metal, it could work quite nicely for a modern look you are after. Think of mens' suiting.... Also, I think you said you will not be replacing the floor, right? Since your floor is brown toned, it will pull the colours together. Look through some of the Houzz pics by putting grey walls in the search heading....lots of amazing ideas. As far as sectional vs sofa & chairs, I think both could work well in the space. Think about how you want to use the space. For me, I love sectionals for the comfort factor.... more relaxed and good for hanging out. The sofa and chairs, though could also evoke the same feelings, I find a bit more formal. The sofa and chair option is also more versatile. You can move the pieces around...and if you move, will be more flexible.
June 3, 2012 at 10:09am   
j450n74y
Hi barbara! Thanks again. So dark grey bottom 2/3 wall, lighter grey top 1/3, an a darkish grey couch... Would that be too much grey? Trying to see it in my head and can't imagine how it will look..How would you position the other 2 chairs (assuming sofa like chairs?) would you have the 3 seater, a table at the corner and 2 chairs next to each other? Or the couch right into the corner and a chair with table between.. Just to get an idea of how big a chair and table if needed?

Thanks chandani! Had no idea what sectional was and putting that into the search shows it as these modular couches! The floors mre of a peach colour, and heaps of nice pics with grey walls... But most have really nice wooden floors or nice modern neutral tiles... Whereas we have Peach tiles and the kitchen also has a gold coloured splash back....
June 3, 2012 at 7:46pm   
Barbara Ann Holmes - Lintels & Lallies
I'll include some links on a monochromatic (grey on grey) look so you can visualize. Think more charcoal than black etc. I usually encourage first-time homeowners and DIY-ers to purchase timeless/core pieces & bring in color through art & accessories...because that way you can change the look of the entire room when you get bored with it without spending $ on all new furniture. If you hate the idea of all neutral furniture, maybe splurge on the chairs being an accent color. As far as placement, I would center the sofa to the TV table. The two chairs I would place slightly angled towards each other (conversational placement) with a small round end table between them. Modern design is all about clean lines & function. So, you could add a 'C' shaped sofa table in the side by the corner. (I'll also try to include a link)

Tailored Sophistication

Hyde Park Loft

Personal Home Tour

Table:
South of Market living room
June 4, 2012 at 5:54am   
j450n74y
thanks for all that barbara! great help as always!

TOPIC: FLOORS!
we've been thinking back and forth about those ugly tiles..and went to look at some flooring shops last night..and got some quotes. we decided last night..we're gonna get new floors for the kitchen/living room and the hallway (the rooms have already got laminate wood lookalike clickboards. we're going to go with vinyl floors...either the vinyl boards or whole piece vinyls...not sure if this is common in the States?

the question now is..because the rooms have already got clickboards (laminate) in a lighter wood colour, we can't match it.. (previous owner did this..and was probably easier to put clickboards as rooms were carpet). we can't use laminate boards because its currently tiles..and to put laminate will mean we need to rip out the tiles. instead we're gonna get the installer to prep the surface over the tiles and then stick vinyl strips on top.

what do you guys reccomend as a wood colour?
examples of what we have access to: http://www.karndean.com.au/en-au/floors/wood-flooring.aspx http://polyflor.com.au/expona-domestic-plank-new.html http://polyflor.com.au/camaro-studioflor-plank.html
June 7, 2012 at 7:54pm   
j450n74y
TOPIC: SOFAS
so ive also looked at what we are able to get in the stores here..taking into account what you guys have suggested..
got some pictures here and please comment!
June 7, 2012 at 7:56pm   
j450n74y
more SOFAS...
June 7, 2012 at 8:03pm   
j450n74y
and one more...
June 7, 2012 at 8:03pm   
j450n74y
and also looked at rugs...
1) dual grey walls..
2) wood floors (unsure at this point dark or light or other style?)
3) possibly a 3 seater: white leather couch (the wife likes the white couches) or a black leather couch OR a grey cloth couch
4) 2 tub/individual chairs? ideas?
5) thinking a noodle plush rug (see attached) ..or would this not work??
June 7, 2012 at 8:05pm   
j450n74y
my attempt at an inspiration board...
June 7, 2012 at 8:18pm   
Mint Design
Congratulations on your cool home! Please don't block your beautiful full length windows with the sofa....Painting your walls, trim and ceiling the same color is more uber modern and will visually expand the space. You can paint ceramic tiles...try ehow or youtube and lose the peach bathroom. Try a few chartreuse accents with the grey...and please use a pale grey. I prefer white for uber but the grey works too. Take your time and work on one area at a time so you don't burn out. Enjoy and savor the process. Attaching a few chartreuse photos...hope they give you some ideas. PS did you see the real Philip Stark Louis ghost chairs? I think they are divine....they are clear acrylic so they are a form of plastic....I used them from uber to rooms full of antiques as an element of surprise....invisible so it is not found right away! :)
June 7, 2012 at 9:12pm     
Mint Design
June 7, 2012 at 9:13pm   
Mint Design
oops other chartreuse photos ( the door is just to see the color with dark grey....
June 7, 2012 at 9:15pm     
j450n74y
oh wow..thats probably a tad too uber cool for me. hahaha

i was looking at paints and thought these greys were good? any suggestions? http://www.bunnings.com.au/learn-how-to-DIY_online-diy-tools_paint-colour-trends.aspx
(click on the "RAW" set of paints)

was thinking if i left the white trim as white..it may add a special feel to it? or even adding a few extra lines in like this? or totally not?
June 7, 2012 at 10:10pm   
Mint Design
ok, just checking....different people have different ideas of uber....lol! I predict you will see a lot of chartreuse in the next couple of years....not so much just yet. we'll stick to the grey palette...perhaps more uber industrial???
June 7, 2012 at 10:16pm   
j450n74y
Yeh industrial sounds good... Without being too cold. Suggestions on flooring colour? Dark wood, light wood, grey wood or stone like ??

Trying not to match the laminate/floating floors in the rooms too mch as its going to be different colour an texture... It's going to be vinyl in the kitchen and living room and hallway whereas the rooms already have wood laminate (see pics)

Looking at flooring colours this Thursday and paint too so need ideas!
June 12, 2012 at 3:21am   
Barbara Ann Holmes - Lintels & Lallies
Wow, you've been busy! Took me awhile to get caught up! :). I recommend medium to light flooring...it is more forgiving as far as clean up. (drk floors show everything) maybe the Walnut Parquet, or the arctic driftwood. Definitely get some samples in person though and hold everything together. Images online can be deceiving when dealing with color & finishes.
June 12, 2012 at 6:36am   
Mint Design
WhIte is fine with grey. So t doesn;t look too cold, get a grey with some brown in it....tell your paint man you want a warm grey. Perhaps consider a medium drey for the walls and a slightly lighter grey for your trim instead of white. Will you post photos of where you are now in the project? :)
June 12, 2012 at 7:29am   
Mint Design
Pale to medium grey....a pickled look would be a good choice with light industrial. I suggest you top it with a rug of whatever color you decide to use for accents. Here are a couple of photos for you to consider...... :)
June 12, 2012 at 7:46am   
Mint Design
oops, here is the other.....
June 12, 2012 at 7:49am   
j450n74y
hi guys..thanks for all the comments.. thinking i need to get the palettes on thursday night and check out how it fits with the house. those tiles annoyed us too much and limited everything from furniture to paint to rugs etc..so we had to get the floors done first.

where i'm up to? haven't started anything yet! i get the keys to the house on friday, and will be doing the floors and walls first thing!!

a lot of things to consider..thinking the walls and floor..so need to sort those things out..before we decide on colours of the couch etc!!
June 12, 2012 at 8:18am   
Mint Design
Take a deep breath....You are right...decide on those first...have you investigated painting and sealing those tiles with the special products for that purpose?
June 12, 2012 at 8:37am   
j450n74y
Yep.. Thy call it feathering (2 layers) and then laying a glue and vinyl strips over the top. Cheaper than floating floors or removing the tiles (labour costs are high)... And cheaper than wood too obviously
June 12, 2012 at 9:10am   
Chandani
Hi again- wow, I think you must have the record for the most replies!! I think you made the right choice to do something about the floors. It doesn't make sense to be limited by something you don't like.
Floors and big ticket items, I tend to be practical and choose something that will stand the test of time. Paint is easy to change, floors, not so much!! As Barbara suggested, bring home lots of choices and see how it looks in your space at different times of the day/light conditions. I also tend to prefer medium-dark floors as it grounds the space. Since the plan is to go with grey walls and a more modern look, it will also add some warmth to the space.
June 12, 2012 at 11:51am   
Mint Design
I have not done "feathering" so I do not know how well it holds up. It sounds as though it would hold up as well as if not better than any other vinyl floor. I have seen tile walls plastered over and they have held up perfectly. I imagine you could also have a stamped or colored concrete floor poured over it. Before you decide, check the parice of pouring a terrazzo floor over the tile. Terrazzo is quite inexpensive to install (get someone qualified though), very low maintenance and will last for generations. I will attach some photos which I hope will help. :)
June 12, 2012 at 2:03pm   
j450n74y
feathering is needed due to the grout grooves between the tiles...so that the vinyl is able to see flat on the floor

unsure if its concrete or what..but as far as im aware..we're not gonna be able to use the tiles after this process.. (not that we want to..given its awful colour)

hmm don't really like the look of the terrazzo...reminds me of a kitchen counter top from the 90s

thanks for the reply chandani. was thinking of making seperate posts for different things..(eg a topic on floors) a topic on wall colours etc. but the few ppl commenting here are giving good ideas and keep it up!

whcih brings me to barbara..who has been the best of help!
thanks again guys! will update after we see the paints and flooring! so many things to decide on!
June 12, 2012 at 7:48pm   
j450n74y
hi guys..quick update for everyone who has helped out! after painting from 10am-12am sunday...here are some pics...
although it looks patchy or has different shades of colour in the pics...its actually a flat colour and non glossy. the lighting the existing owner had is quite dim and has crystals hanging from it so it casts shadows and rainbows onto the walls =(
leave the kitchen white or paint it light grey??

for panaroma from before-after:

Before: http://360.io/CgQRv8
After: http://360.io/TvhfDc
June 17, 2012 at 6:20pm   
Barbara Ann Holmes - Lintels & Lallies
Thank you for the compliment! I bet it is exciting to see color on the walls huh?! Thanks for continuing to share pictures as you go. For the kitchen I would go a very light grey (noticeably lighter than what you've already selected), or paint it whatever accent color you decide on for the living room. A light grey will connect the spaces better, especially with the dark beam/sofit that runs from the living room to the kitchen. If you leave it white, your eye will go up to that beam, and I'm not sure that's what you want. I can't tell from your images what the backsplash is...tile/paint? That will play a part as well, you don't want your paint to clash with that...also, are your counters gray?
June 17, 2012 at 9:32pm   
j450n74y
hi barbara! thanks again!

"A light grey will connect the spaces better, especially with the dark beam/sofit that runs from the living room to the kitchen" - did you mean the wall thats next to the door (thats currently white?) or did you mean the white cornice going across the wall??

- pretty good fun to see the before and after photos.
- kitchen counter top is currently a marble swirl colour ...need to look at it again.. hMmmm.
-the splashback is like a glass/glossy laminate..and in gold. kinda clashes with grey if the walls are painted.. thinking may leave it white.. hmmm
- i will note that the colours look darker than they are..not enough lighting as the existing lighting is quite bad..(esp without lamps etc)...

- we've made an order on a liquorice (dark grey) couch..(3 seater) and in a cloth. thinking of getting a white/light grey/silver rug to brighten up the place and 2 white tub chairs for additional seating. we will then add a bit of yellow or charteuse coloured pillows or a bright side table to brighten up the place as its a bit grey and dull at the moment!!
June 17, 2012 at 9:53pm   
j450n74y
So I know it's been almost 4months but was hoping to see what else I can do to make things better in my living room and kitchen... We've moved in and changed a few things and bought new furniture etc...

Thinking we need a side table of some sort and maybe a big feature floor lamp that hangs over the top at the corner between the couch and the white chairs?

Ideas or suggestions??
October 20, 2012 at 2:36am   
j450n74y
Any other changes to the kitchen area would be appreciated too.. Right now there's this empty space also which I'm wondering what I can do... And the wife wants pictures of us on the wall which I think will spoil the clean look... So I told her she can have it on the white wall next to tr kitchen table...
October 20, 2012 at 2:40am   
j450n74y
This is the white wall behind the dining table...
October 20, 2012 at 2:40am   
Barbara Ann Holmes - Lintels & Lallies
I was just thinking about you guys not too long ago. You are really doing a great job. My main suggestion would be art. It will give your living room more personality & give you a finished look. If you select art with some white to put behind the sofa, that will pull things together more as well, just like how your tv & console table pull the room together. (even a white background in an abstract painting will do the trick) I can see a small round table between the chairs & something where the fan is. Are you planning on a coffee table or ottomans? Not sure what the space feel like, if there is room. I would probably pull the sofa out of the corner a little bit as well. Also, maybe look for something no typically used as a table...something artsy you can repurpose but get a surface function out of. (just a thought). As far as art, when the sofa is exactly in the place you want it, you can put one piece behind it & maybe three pieces (stacked vertically) above a side table (to the rightbof sofa). Keep in mind the bottom of art should be hung 4-9" above furniture. I think family photos would look great either above a side table (hung as mentioned above) down the hall, or in the kitchen. Lastly, for accessories (and art color) I would pull in the color of your blinds). They are dominate in the space & I think there should be hints of that warm color in pillows etc. Everything is really coming together, great job!
October 23, 2012 at 5:58am   
j450n74y
Hi Barbara! Nice to hear from you once again! I was thinking of abstract art too .. But something that's relatively big and hangs horizontally... But haven't found such art yet (haven't really started looking as I wasn't sure where to look haha).

For a guide the rug is approx 2x3 and the white tv stand is 2m.

The fan isn't a permanent fixture so that will be removed.

The couch can be pulled towards the hallway/kitchen another ~1/2 metre which would provide space on each side of the couch.

1) Was thinking a big overhead lamp (we need lighting... As the ceiling lights are dim) between the white chairs and the couch in the corner of the wall .. But was unsure If that would overpower the size of the living room..

2) a small table between the 2 white couches OR/and another table next to the couch where hallway is..any suggestions of something that isn't a table but can be repurposed would be appreciated!!

3) ottoman.. Unsure how it would work here.. Any suggestions? Right in front of the couch? How big etc...

5) When u say pictures on the right side of the couch .. Did u mean where the fan is?

6) And for pulling in colours of the blinds.. I don't know if I can put anymore pillows.. The white chairs don't suit pillows and the couch has 2 huge pillows on it already as arm rests..

Thanks for the tips regarding the pictures ... Will need to look at abstract art (have no idea..) and have agree for family pictures to go on the wall in the kitchen haha

Any examples of art tables paintings ottomans pillows cushions etc would be greatly appreciated! Thankssss!
October 23, 2012 at 7:21am   
Barbara Ann Holmes - Lintels & Lallies
I just emailed you an inspiration board.
October 23, 2012 at 8:17am   
Empty canvas needing some ideas- living room dining room
Hi All, This is more of a beg than a plea for help!...
Blank canvas landscape in need of suggestions
This lot can take flood irrigation. We have the corner...
Suggestion need for empty wall please!
I love my house entrance foyer! I want to decor the...
Need help, empty space suggestions
The space between my dining room and kitchen has a...
Keep the Floor or Replace?
I have a beautiful, 30-year-old, hand laid, UNFINISHED...
Titan Range Hood
Tell us what you think about its design www.elica.com ELICA...
Kitchen design help needed
Hoping you guys could help me. 3 questions in particular: 1....
need help with my living room
I am repainting our house. Need some ideas on something...
Patio: crushed gravel bed base vs concrete base
Wondering about best method for patio construction....