Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ila2418

Tall cabinet or not?

ila2418
9 years ago
I posted about our master bath but since the cabinet maker is coming to measure, I thought I would get opinions on the hall bath. We are thinking about putting a tall cabinet either right by the door or by the toilet. I am not sure what the pros and cons of either would be. Anyone with opinions on this one?

Comments (16)

• ila2418
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    So are you saying keep the long counters and just put a cabinet over the toilet? It would not be able to be very deep would it?
  • hayleydaniels
    9 years ago
    If you really need the storage, put it in, but I think it's going to feel very claustrophobic as the room is so narrow.
  • ila2418
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Maybe it would. It wouldn't be any deeper then the vanity that is already there. I have trouble visualizing things though.
  • hayleydaniels
    9 years ago
    Find a big box or something that you can put on top of the countertop to simulate where a tall cabinet would be, and see what you think. Leave it there for at least 3 days.

Doing that will also change the amount of counter space you have on either side of your sink so the box will help you see how having less counter space will affect your day to day life as well.
  • ila2418
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Good idea. My neighbor installed a cabinet on top of the counter and I did not like it. I do not use this bathroom so it wouldn't affect me much but I have a lot of company. Can you see my post on my other bathroom?
  • yingiyangi
    9 years ago
    Take out and reuse the mirror give it to the cabinetmaker tell him to score it and glue it into cab doors and raise the height of the cab for counter space. Tell him to add hooks to the side for clips, shears, blow dryer, and light fixtures for big bulbs. Have an Extension of this cab run over the toilet. If designed correctly it can look great in regards to how naked it looks right now. Place a second framed mirror to the right wall of the entrance to add depth.
  • yingiyangi
    9 years ago
    Also that window is beautiful. Rip out the shades and just out in frost or blur. Also add a plexi shelf to the right side of the tub so you wouldn't have to store ur bottles by the window.
  • yingiyangi
    9 years ago
    Make sure the cabs run as high as the shower curtain rod lol
  • ila2418
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Completely replacing the bathtub as it is rusting, planning on taking tile up to ceiling and probably in window sill. What do you mean by raising the height of the cabinet?
  • yingiyangi
    9 years ago
    Like if you get cabinets. Start them of maybe a foot or so above the vanity and have them run as high as the shower curtain. Tall people don't mind high shelves and the shorter people can clutter the lower shelves. And it'll look good too considering that ur filling up empty space. Since ur going to remodel the tub. Why not decrease the size of your vanity? And move ur toilet beside it 3 feet and make room for a seperate shower? They are easy to install and it'll make cleaning easier
  • ila2418
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Ok I see what you are saying. Basically everything in the room is going out so what I was thinking was installing a floor to ceiling cabinet about 18 inches wide either at the wall by the door or by the toilet. The vanity would still be 48" long. The cabinet would be able to house towels, toiletries and a laundry basket. I don't like the look of a cabinet on top of the vanity very much. So would I put that tall cabinet by the door or the toilet? I could also put a small one above the toilet. The room is used mostly by children so a bathtub is great and the shower is used occasionally.
    9 years ago
    We put a custom "tower" next to the door...built in as part of the vanity...floor to ceiling and same depth as the vanity. It won't block the view of the narrow bathroom. If you put a tall cabinet in the middle of the room, the bathroom will look really chopped up and cramped. Shorten up the counter top or perhaps continue a narrower counter over the back of the toilet for extra counter space. Make sure there is enough room to get into the tank for any repairs! Keep it as open as possible. Don't forget good lighting and lots of mirror will make it look bigger. A shower curtain that isn't so bold would make it look bigger too...or a glass door . The last photo is a glass door installed in a small guest bathroom. Hope these help.
  • ila2418
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    What is the size of your tower and vanity?
    9 years ago
    The tower is ceiling height...84" to ceiling. There is about a 5" crown molding on the top at ceiling which runs around the whole room. The tower width is about 19". I will add picture of inside. The vanity is maybe longer than yours with double sinks...76"... But it is a master bathroom. It is about 22" deep. It holds tons of stuff! Keeps everything else neat and tidy. We put plantation shutters on the windows and trimmed the bathtub with wood panels in case repairs need to be made. One panel near the drain is hinged. Hope that helps.
    ila2418 thanked 194371
  • Elizabeth Bobenrieth
    8 years ago

My husband and I are currently having the exact same dilemma and our bathroom is identical to your before pic. Do you have any pics of what you ended up doing?