Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sprtsk

Need help with my living room

Lexi T
9 years ago
My living room needs pop of colors and accent pieces to make it look warm and inviting. I'm planning to buy an accent chair but I don't know which style or color I should go for and where to put it. I definitely want the living area to be brighter since we have dark hardwood floor. Please help me!

Comments (32)

• Sonia Richardson
    9 years ago
    I think your space is nice, if you are looking for some pop. Add a few pillows, some colors vases perhaps, and maybe a bowl to put on your leather coffee table. If you really want some color I would suggest maybe changing your drapery to a print that would be complain entry to your pillows, and of course all blending with your animal print rug. Google luck
    Lexi T thanked Sonia Richardson
  • suseg
    9 years ago
    Very beautiful living room. You've done great job!

I've attached a picture of an accent chair. I think it will bring color and functionality to your room. Matching color pillows for your sofa.
    Lexi T thanked suseg
  • Cyndy
    9 years ago
    I think your room is beautiful! JudyG has great suggestions to make it even more so.

Because of all the dark wood finishes, I'd lighten the room up with a lighter, brighter area rug, like one of these.
    Lexi T thanked Cyndy
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    You've done a beautiful job. Just need a tweak or two to take it over the top.

Lose the art over the TV. It's too high. The plant in the corner looks crammed. Too many small tchotchkes on the media cabinet. Replace them with one big tchotchke in a color drawn from the new vibrant art you hang on the wall. Use that art to inform your color palette when choosing pillows and throws.

I chose some of my own favorites along with West Elm's Sloan chair in a neutral color.
    Lexi T thanked groveraxle
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    @groveraxle, if at all possible could you visit the post "home sick in Louisiana." Jenna could use your help. :) Don't mean to invade the post, my apology. :)
    Lexi T thanked zazfuzzroc
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    Maybe some bamboo or decorative blinds/shades would be nice. I like the room. It does look nice. :)
    Lexi T thanked zazfuzzroc
  • Sharon Stover
    9 years ago
    This is a beautiful room, just a little too staged. Pillows, throws, some greenery, books, candles...all of these items add a personal touch that will add warmth and character to this beautiful room.
    Lexi T thanked Sharon Stover
  • lkgreen26
    9 years ago
    It's a beautiful room but by adding pops of color, the beauty will increase. I think a barrel chair or armless accent chair in a teal or medium grey color would be a nice addition. Also add some brightly colored accent pillows in red, teal, green and/or dark yellow. Also a pretty throw over the sofa adds a nice pop of color! A vase with fresh flowers is always an easy addition of color. Have fun!
    Lexi T thanked lkgreen26
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Not sure where you live, but normally the outside walls of a home are not recommended for the health of a piano. I see an alcove to the left of a window to the left of the tv. Does the piano fit in it? That could be a wonderful music corner in your room and that piece could switch places with it.
    Lexi T thanked abbyjean
  • combine
    9 years ago
    JudyGDesigns! What great advice!!!
    Lexi T thanked combine
  • Lexi T
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you very much for all advises. I really appreciate you all taking time to help me. I'll be looking over all of them.
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    Don't forget.....we all love seeing pics of updates, too!!!
  • rocketjcat
    9 years ago
    I think your 4 pictures over the TV look very detailed and interesting...something to be viewed up close. I think I would hang them horizontally in the space to the right of the curtains on your piano wall, where you could walk right up to them, and remove and regroup somewhere the other 3 small rectangular pictures you have in the other various spots. I like the idea of moving the piano into the left alcove, but it may not fit?
    Lexi T thanked rocketjcat
  • rocketjcat
    9 years ago
    ^^^^ oops meant to say to hang them vertically!
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    I think the 4 pics lined up with the top of the windows throws off the look, too. Sometimes art over a tv will work.

Also wondering IF you NEED the lamps beside the tv. If not, I would move them. You have two lamps right across the room from them, by the couch. Not sure how the light is balanced in the room, though.
    Lexi T thanked abbyjean
  • PRO
    ParrotUncle
    9 years ago
    Nice Living room
    Lexi T thanked ParrotUncle
  • markliman
    9 years ago
    Love your living room. Wow. Where did you buy your curtains from?
    Lexi T thanked markliman
  • markliman
    9 years ago
    Agree with moving lamps on console table
    Lexi T thanked markliman
  • houseatthelake
    9 years ago
    I agree about the four pictures hanging above the tv are too high. A smaller grouping of two on top of the other two somewhere in the room would look better also hung the lower. There are a lot of lamps in this room I would get rid of the lamps by the TV and take the lamps off of the side table get a console table to put behind the sofa and put the lamps there.
    Lexi T thanked houseatthelake
  • houseatthelake
    9 years ago
    I would put the smaller mirror somewhere else put the four pictures above the piano and put the smaller photos from the piano on the console table behind couch.
  • houseatthelake
    9 years ago
    I would get bamboo shades to put with your drapes
  • houseatthelake
    9 years ago
    I love your room it just needs a little bit of reworking. It looks like a bright space looks like you have lots of light coming through the windows.
  • combine
    9 years ago
    Please don't change the rug, it looks so stylish!
    Lexi T thanked combine
  • Lexi T
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you again everyone for you advises. I will definitely remove the lamps by the TV and all the little pieces on top of the entertainment center. The 4 pictures above the TV and the plant by the piano will be gone as well. Thank you all so much again for taking time to help me. Really appreciated.
  • Lexi T
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @abbyjean @rocketjcat The piano doesn't fit in the alcove by the left side of the window. It would be a perfect place for the piano though if it fits.
  • Lexi T
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @marklimanThe curtains are from Ikea
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    Well, darn on the alcove and the piano.
    A low tub chair that swivels would be nice to the left of the tv. Then it can visit with the couch or watch the tv or the one playing the piano. A soft accent color in the blue already shown is nice, but maybe add a small pattern to it, too.
    Lexi T thanked abbyjean
  • houseatthelake
    9 years ago
    Show us how it turns out please.
  • Lexi T
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I'm working on the project. I'll post the photos when it's done.
  • wl606
    9 years ago
    I like the idea of red or a deep coral for the accent color. I think it brings out the beautiful richness of the wood in the room.
    Lexi T thanked wl606
  • jleestelldesign
    9 years ago
    I play the piano and i am a designer and realtor. I dont in my own home or elsewhere ever put a piano in competition with a tv. The tv always wins. Can you separate the two into different rooms? It will also help with all the heavy wood tones in one room.
    Lexi T thanked jleestelldesign
Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz