Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sockaplayr

Need help with my living room!

sockaplayr
9 years ago
I have a living room that I'm really trying to figure out how to decorate. I have 2 leather chairs, a sofa and a loveseat. The rug is a wool pebble style rug. Dark wood floors and a dark brown wall make the whole room look gloomy. I do have 3 pieces of art I will be hanging that are very colorful but I'm trying to figure out what else to do to make this room actually pop.

I think I need a plant in the corner somewhere and maybe a floor lamp? I was also thinking of painting the coffee and side tables I have either a white or an espresso color. What is everyone on here's suggestions?

PS - The art hanging way high was up there because I was going to wall mount a much bigger TV right below it and decided not to in the end.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (12)

• sockaplayr
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here is some more pictures of the room
  • hayleydaniels
    9 years ago
    Get your art work up, and the one piece lowered and see how that looks.

I would put up some panel curtains that have a fair sized pattern and color to bring some personality to the room. A few plants in colorful ceramic planters would also help add warmth.

Can you afford to buy a credenza for you TV that is more formal that what you've got? If so, it would help bring the room together.
    Sauder Registry Row TV Credenza in Amber Pine Finish · More Info

Home Styles Aspen TV Credenza Stand · More Info

Sauder Harbor View Entertainment Credenza in Antiqued Paint · More Info

Tech-Craft Veneto Series 62 Inch TV Stand Credenza in Walnut Finish · More Info

I would replace those leather chairs with some in a patterned fabric to bring color to the room.
    Chelsea Home Camden Accent Chair in Frazzle Twilight · More Info

Gerber Accent Chair in Sunflower · More Info
    sockaplayr thanked hayleydaniels
  • cage
    9 years ago
    You need an off white area rug to brighten up the space. If that is too impractical paint the walls a lighter color.
    sockaplayr thanked cage
  • sockaplayr
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Is the area rug too dark for the space? I'm wondering if I painted the dark brown wall a lighter color if that would help a ton or if I pretty much need a way lighter rug because I have dark wood floors. I am thinking of getting some chairs such as the ones hayledaniels recommended (like the one on the right) and will be getting a nicer TV stand/credenza soon. I'm actually considering moving the rug and furniture in this room (well the sofa and love seat) to this room I posted over here https://www.houzz.com/discussions/is-the-couch-too-big-rug-too-small-what-do-i-need-to-finish-this-dsvw-vd~1183682 do you guys think these items would fit better in that room instead?
  • lucidos
    9 years ago
    You have a lovely home. You also have a terrible camera. I'm sure everything is not that dark and yellow to take a better picture set up lighting outside the actual shot. I love that pebble rug and yes it may work better in the other room.

This room has lost it's potential splendor. There is too much, too big, too dark and too small all going on at once.

Before I can even begin to suggest any options....What do you and the rest of the family use this room for? Where do you spend the time in which of the rooms?
  • Rina
    9 years ago
    I must say that I basically like the room, though good points have been made. I'd like to see you keep the carpet; for me the big let-down is the coffee table, so I agree you should paint it. Red gloss. Instant oomph. I've also fiddled with your staircase pics -- moved four of them to the room at the back right.
    sockaplayr thanked Rina
  • sockaplayr
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you all for your help. The room looks a lot darker in the pics since the camera sucks. I tried to get some better pictures.
  • lucidos
    9 years ago
    Thank you for taking these images they help a lot to see the actual colors.

I suggest removing the loveseat leaving the archway to the dining room physically open, easily viewable and allowing the space to flow. Spread the chairs out a bit and ever so slightly angle them toward each other then place the end table between them. On the end table I can see an unusual light colored or glass table lamp. Get a larger full sized entertainment center that will allow you to utilize it for storage and some display. A larger coffee table either round or squared. Also add some lighter colored pillows. When you have leather you need something with a bit of a texture to off set it.
    sockaplayr thanked lucidos
  • sockaplayr
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    thank you for the great ideas lucidos!
  • sockaplayr
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    So I'm thinking of moving the rug, loveseat and sofa from this living room and moving it over to my other living room. I would move the sofa in that room over here and get a bigger rug (8x12 or 9x12) for this room. Do you guys think that would look much better? at the moment the rug is making the room look smaller than it is I think and looks crowded so a longer rug would fit better. Here's a mock up.
  • PRO
    RugKnots | Area Rugs
    9 years ago
    Your new plan for this room looks great!
    A larger rug is definitely needed, as the floor plan image you have shows, it will enhance the size of the room while bringing the furniture together. For color, I would suggest something lighter or bolder. Such as these ideas below:

Hand Knotted Multi Colored Chobi Ziegler Wool Rug Without Borders 7.11x10 · More Info

Brown Chobi Ziegler Handmade Oriental Area Rug Without Borders 8x10.10 · More Info

Modern Oriental Rug Without Borders Brown and White 8.8x9.9 · More Info

Traditional Red Chobi Ziegler Oriental Wool Rug With Borders 7.11x9.11 · More Info

Contemporary Hand Made Ikat Oriental Rug With Border Gold and Brown 5.9x9.08 · More Info

Happy decorating!
    sockaplayr thanked RugKnots | Area Rugs