Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lorrising

Living Area

Lorri Curto
9 years ago
I am trying to arrange my living area and am getting kind of frustrated! It feels too busy, like there's just too much stuff. You walk in the entry, past the staircase and into the living room, it's kind of one large area with a 'bridge' over the center. I'd like to just post pics and get opinions to start off if y'all don't mind. I will say that the rugs aren't going to change, they are all handmade wool Persian rugs that we got while living overseas and I really can't afford new upholstered furniture, it is all relatively new and in good shape. Arranging the new house is kicking my tail

Comments (22)

• Lorri Curto
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Additional photos of the entryway and overhead of the living room, would love some input!!!
  • Maureen
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    If you moved your couch to under the window, you could still view the tv, if it is on a swivel. Move the single leather chair to under the opening into dining room. Try carpet horizontally and place white chairs straight vs on the angle and have their front legs on the carpet. Place the ottoman inbetween these chairs and add a tray on top. In order to center this whole sitting area in the room, you could perhaps add a console behind the couch and add a lamp.
  • Carolina
    9 years ago
    Your coffee table doesn't do it for me. I really like the rest of your furniture, gorgeous rugs, but that coffee table... mwah. I'd love to see a table with a glass top I think.
  • anne dee
    9 years ago
    reference only of placement of furniture a la carolins
    couch facing fireplace
    large table on window side
    2 white chairs in front of window
    brown chair next to fireplace with small table
    check check check ;-)
  • Carolina
    9 years ago
    lol anne dee :-)
  • PRO
    Color Zen
    9 years ago
    I would move the brown chair to another room. Center couch on rug, facing fireplace. Place white chairs on the right and left. If you loose a little rug space, should be okay. I think you're lacking symmetry and there's one chair too many. Good luck! :) Love the rug.

p.s.- You can get a dark brown throw pillow for each white chair to balance light and dark.
  • anne dee
    9 years ago
    What happened to the ref pic I posted above with my comments ?
  • Lorri Curto
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Okay, lots of pushing and pulling and this what I ended up with...

First, the rug can't go the other direction, covers the plug in the floor that I rely on (but I did try!). So turned the rug back and centered the sofa in front of the fireplace, it's okay when floated but too far back and it really interferes with access into the breakfast area. I tried getting the leather chair out and into my honey's office but it is too big for his office space, this is the only room it really fits into. So...put one of the white chairs in his office. Also moved the large cabinet and put the elephant chair back in this room and out of the foyer. I like it much better in here, what do y'all think? Last, propped my temple window over the mantle for now. I have a beautiful Balinese painting that I have to get re-stretched and framed, eventually it's going to get place of honor over the fireplace.

I appreciate nobody wanting to move the TV (it's pretty much going to be where it is)

Carolins, you expressed my feelings about the coffee table perfectly. Eventually it is going to find a home in the game room but for now I'm stuck with it. It has a colorful family story behind it so it will always live here with us!
  • Lorri Curto
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Oops, forgot to add the pics...
  • Lorri Curto
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Ann Dee, never saw it, but really would like to!
  • anne dee
    9 years ago
    I will search for it but it won't be easy!
    edit
    Can't locate the visual but it is just a carolins described in her post which is 2 posts above mine.
  • sandradclark
    9 years ago
    I like the pairing of the elephant chair with the wall hanging. Spectacular. I'm still having a little trouble with the white chair so close to all of the white built-ins. Maybe soften the white of the chair with a color from the rug in a cushion or throw & add some white in pillows on the brown sofa. I think that might do it. Only if you like it!!
  • sandradclark
    9 years ago
    I also like the taller object on the mantle. It seems to bring more balance to that area. You have many lovely items & I don't find it too crowded, but you are the one who needs to be satisfied.
  • Carolina
    9 years ago
    This is the layout I suggested. Hope anne dee can find her example photo again.
    Bennett Residence · More Info
  • PRO
    The Sound Vision
    9 years ago
    I know it sounds silly but if you are watching TV regularly you could mount it above the fireplace. If you don't want to see it look at Media Decor for neat ways to hide it in plain sight.
  • Lorri Curto
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Sandrdclark, when you said what you did about the white chair in front of the white built-ins that pinpointed what was bothering me. So I switched the chairs. Then I tried following the suggestion about the two white chairs straight in front of the window. I'm not sure it works with the curve of the sofa though. I'm leaning more to putting one of the white chairs into my husband's office. Thoughts?
  • Lorri Curto
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Well, once again I forgot to post the photos...

And...now all I can see is that ugly coffee table, eek! I'm thinking a round or oval glass coffee table, but not too modern.
  • rainymorning
    9 years ago
    Try the ottoman, for the time being, in place of the coffee table. You have great pieces but it's too crowded for the space. Make sure there is a clear path to walk as you entre the room. You don't want to have to zig around furniture as you come through.
  • Carolina
    9 years ago
    I really do like this layout.
    But rainymorning is right about the ottoman crowding the place a bit. Up to you to decide how much it is in the way. The white chairs in their new location do balance out the space. If you prefer you could of course move one of the chairs to another spot in your home.
  • rainymorning
    9 years ago
    If you do remove the coffee table and use the ottoman in its place, put a tray, maybe brown wood, on top to protect it and make it more serviceable.
  • smartee222
    9 years ago
    Move the couch centered on the fireplace and closer to the fireplace. Put the white chairs on either side of the fireplace facing each other, toss a light brown throw over the back of the one nearest the TV. Put the white ottoman in front of the couch with a large tray on top as a coffee table. Put the brown chair facing the same direction as the couch very near the window as a reading nook. Remove the coffee table to another room or storage as it doesn't work with the decor style or color wise. Pu the tall cabinet on the short wall near the window to the left of the fire place. The side table can stay next to the couch on whichever end it fits. The fireplace is stunning.