Curb Appeal...suggestions??
wiigs
Want to add a little pop to the front of our house - it's a bit to brown...thinking of changing the color of the shutters, and perhaps some lighting on each side of the garage door and updating the lighting that is flanking the front door. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.
HI -- First thing I see are the posts on the porch - too skinny and you need -three . Bigger square pillers and the landscaping needs to be added to. I prefer a sidewalk to get to the front door . And you have lots of room for one thats about 36 to 40 inches wide.I can't see the colors of your house very clearly so a color is hard to say. At the paint store they have exterior color plans and i think that would help you and if they have samples - that helps you choose without a big exspense. I think something in a deep gold or a deep copper. I think no matter, the front door should be satin black. And the garage door and area should be the color of the brick.
April 30, 2012 at 1:33pm   
Mishi McCoy
Don't know your budget, so will just throw out some thoughts. Putting a mini pergola across the top of the garage with 8" square posts on either side softens the "big door" view. I would paint the mini pergola white to match the trim. I agree, the posts are too thin at the porch, so continuing with the square 8" posts with the third one possibly a half post at the garage wall. The siding part of the house could be painted a rich gold, then the shutters might be painted a bronze...I think if you paint the garage area the color of the brick, it makes the house too heavy below, and too light above. The gold tone on all the siding balances with the brick. A curvy walkway with some seasonal flowers and shrubs welcomes all.
May 2, 2012 at 4:02am     
K.O.H. Construction Corporation
post should also anchor to the house, there should be a half post on the left and a half post on the right next to the brick. build the post 8", add another layer to the post about 42" high. This will give the post more charactor and diminision. If it's in your budget, get an overlay wood door. if not go with the pergola idea. paint the house with Nomadic Desert by Sherwin Williams and the shutters a softened green.
May 2, 2012 at 5:05am   
Anna Reeder
Larger posts are definitely needed on the front porch, with an extra one next to the garage. Can't see if there are any plants in front of the porch, but some flowers and plants out front are always a nice touch, and a light colored rose bush (maybe pink) in front of the open window. Instead of a sidewalk, I would put in large, natural shaped pavers, the color of the brick on the home or lighter, . A pretty raised garden centered in the front yard would also make the home look more inviting and give it a lot of curb appeal. The one light at the top of the garage is good, but I would make it a bright, motion censored light. Phlox planted along the edges of the driveway would also make a nice touch in any color. I would make the siding white and replace the current shutters with raised panel shutters in a burgundy or wine color. I think a carriage house garage door would look better with windows along the top to allow natural light inside and put a white front door in with hardware that matches the garage door.
May 2, 2012 at 5:16am   
I found this photo of a bungalow that has lots of character and could work in your situation.
May 2, 2012 at 6:39am   
IDEAL CDR
Perhaps you can try to rework your roof lines along with your front porch, similar to what we did for one of our customers that wanted to change the curb appeal of their house. See before and after photos below.
May 2, 2012 at 7:09am     
beulah61521
Love the rocking chairs on the porch.

The suggestions about beefing up the posts and adding one near the garage are great. A plant hanger with hanging ferns on each post would look nice. I actually like the color and tones you have going on. I would give the curb appeal a punch with a pretty color for the door. Then add some window boxes painted the same color as the door. A nice cupola with weathervane on the garage would also be some pop. If you change the lights near the door and add some to the garage (good idea) I would have them all the same as it makes it look cohesive. Maybe some decorative black hinges on the garage door. Some urns on each side of the garage door.

It looks like there is already a sidewalk from the driveway to the front door. Some annuals or perennials with lots of color flanking it would give a great welcome.

Post pics when you finish your project.
May 2, 2012 at 6:17pm   
Nadia
Make sure your shutters match the size of your window. Even if they aren't functional, you can tell something is off when a 12" shutter is flanking a 5' wide window. Paint the siding on the first floor around the garage a darker color to anchor it visuially to the ground. As the previous commenter suggested, enhance the posts that hold up the porch roof, they look a bit spindly. Her suggested color scheme of yellow and red is very happy and will look good with white trim. Just make sure any color you choose coordinates with the brick facade. Test your colors near the brick when you have narrowed it down.
May 2, 2012 at 9:50pm   
houssaon
I love the front facing gable framing the door, as suggested by IDEAL CDR. Changing that and reworking the posts would be all you need to do the house. I'd add some more evergreen shrubs to the foundation under the living room window.
May 2, 2012 at 10:27pm   
jlrudder
How about adding some beautiful large flowering planting next to the house and along the walkway. It's not too expensive and will add color and more life to your front yard.
May 3, 2012 at 4:51pm   
tsingtaomama
Our painter suggested painting the garage door the same color as the siding and not the same color as the trim. This makes the garage door less visually prominent and the actual porch and front door consequently stronger. We love the result. Whatever color you go with for the siding, put it on the garage door, too.
May 7, 2012 at 1:00am     
Mishi McCoy
What did you decide to do?
October 30, 2013 at 7:23pm   
Help! Suggestions for curb appeal.
We are considering buying this house, but something...
Help! Suggestions for curb appeal
Curb Appeal - Landscaping Suggestions
I'm at a complete loss about what to do with the strip...
Our new house. Any suggestions for adding curb appeal?
The house is @30 feet away from the road. The view/deck...
Curb Appeal...Zero.. Any suggestions?
I have an all brick ranch that has zero curb appeal....
My house is too dark
We bought a beautiful Victorian in the country we're...
Help to make the arrangemnet of my great room
I have a corner fireplace and wall to the left of the...
NEED HELP WITH kITCHEN.
I am remodeling my kitchen. My kitchen combines with...
What does it need ?
What does my house need ? Seems dull and want to brighten...