What is the island surface material? This a magnificent kitchen!!
roisinmck
April 29, 2012
House of L Interior Design
Hi and thank you so much for the nice compliment. The counter is walnut that has several coats of a clear finish applied to it, giving it its luster and the wood grain depth. I hope this helps!
    Bookmark   April 29, 2012 at 6:26PM
gunner777
I have heard it isn't practical to use wood on and island if you intend on using it. What do your clients think? What has been your experience working with wood as counter tops?
    Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 6:33PM
House of L Interior Design
Its not so much unpractical as much as an acceptance that if you are going to use it as a surface to cut on, it will undoubtedly look more like a cutting board would as opposed to a well maintained wood table top. This counter is not used as a working part of the kitchen. I find that when clients want to use wood in their kitchens as a counter top, they decide and commit to the fact that it needs to be taken care of. If it is used as a work surface, then it needs to be oiled regularly so that it does not dry out. If the intent is to keep it as you wood a table top, then it does need to be handled with care to keep its original lustre. The only countertop surface that is virtually maintenance free is polished granite, which is very impervious to stains and surface scratches. It is ultimately the client's decision to determine which will suit their needs and lifestyle best. I would recommend consulting the specialist you are working with to help you outweigh the pros and cons of all of the options you are considering before making your final decision. This way you can feel educated and confident in your final choice.
    Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 6:58PM
mlehnen
Could you please tell me the thickness of the island top? 4 cm? 6 cm? Many thanks!
    Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 10:34AM
House of L Interior Design
It is 1 1/4" thick
    Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 5:14PM
lacevedo
What you recommend as a color or style of granite to get a similar look..the warm look that goes well with the dark wood floor?
    Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 12:32PM
suearmbruster
Where was the wood countertop purchased from?
    Bookmark   October 1, 2012 at 5:59PM
House of L Interior Design
The wood countertop was custom fabricated for the island from a local supplier.
    Bookmark   October 2, 2012 at 12:06PM
jenpluma
This kitchen is amazing! I would love your opinion when you have a second. Just curious what you would use in this exact kitchen for the island countertop if wood wasn't an option? My kids do homework and projects on the island and we need something a bit more durable. I'm stuck and it's driving me crazy! Thank you.
    Bookmark   January 1, 2013 at 1:39PM
emjfsh
I don't have a question...just a compliment. I have done a great deal of research using the Houzz website, and you have been, by far, the most compliant of all the designers in answering the multitude of questions asked of you. Thank you for sharing your expertise and for being so patient and forthcoming.
9 Likes    Bookmark   January 20, 2013 at 7:16AM
ninadf
i agree!! thx!
    Bookmark   October 15, 2013 at 6:05PM
rilefamily
I read that the center island countertop was custom fabricated from a local supplier..was it a countertop company? a woodwork? Could you pls offer some guidance. THANK YOU! I love your work!
    Bookmark   November 5, 2014 at 9:12AM
Getting a new vanity
Are these taps ok to use, or totally out of style
stoehrlis
Area rug, does it work?
Just purchased this area rug 8x11 and trying to decide...
criticalaoa
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Stefanie
best furniture arrangement
how would you arrange the furniture in the small living...
kim1101
What ONE thing do you LOVE that your spouse / partner does at home?
Your spouse / partner is the best, of course! What...