Countertop durability
lynnmorgan1035
April 29, 2012 in Photo Questions
Can anyone comment on the durability of the limestone countertop. I want to use this same color but I am concerned about stains in a busy kitchen. Any comments will be appreciated.
I have a limestone countertop that was not sealed when we bought our house and I wouldn't do it again. I know some people like the patina you get with use and etching over time, but it makes me feel like the counter is never clean. :/

I think it comes down to care, maintenance and personal preference. If you are okay with being more careful with the surface, being sure to seal it periodically, and living with the wear that shows up, you are fine.
May 10, 2012 at 4:40pm   
Marie Meko, Allied ASID
i agree with Emily's comments and even if the are sealed in the beginning you will have the same problems. They are very beautiful and like a lot of beautiful things they can be high maintenance!
May 10, 2012 at 4:44pm   
Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC.
My experience with kitchen countertops is that granite and Caesarstone (Quartz), are the most durable. I have the perspective of seeing what people are ripping out before their remodels, it's often marble and other softer materials that have been damaged. I love the way it looks too, it's just better in other applications, especially vertical applications like fireplace surrounds and accent walls. In my opinion, the maintenance on these softer stones is a nightmare. I would not want chips, stains, etching or any of that stuff on my countertops. My advice is to go with the most durable material that fits within your color palette and budget. There are so many good looking granite and quartz options. You will be glad you did this when your countertop is still shining like new in 10 years. Hope this helps. Good luck with your project. Charmean Neithart
May 10, 2012 at 7:03pm     
kterri
I am looking for a granite but love the carrera look. I live in the Pasadena area and would love to know where to purchase the "carrera look" granite. Thanks!
May 12, 2012 at 4:18pm   
sbthompson
Don't know vendors in the Pasedena area, but for a Carrera look check out " Kashmir or cashmere granite, or Alaskan white
May 12, 2012 at 5:27pm     
Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC.
Try Pearl White or Bianco Romano granite. Call Kim at Stonemart in North Hollywood or Marble Unlimited in Van Nuys. Hope that helps. Charmean
May 12, 2012 at 6:13pm   
La Pietra Marble, Inc.
If you are using marble or limestone and you want it to always look new, there will take a little bit of work but it's not the end of the world. First start by asking your stone to be sealed with stone proof from Dry treat, in my opinion its the best sealer out there. Second etch marks will happen but they can be fixed with a simple 600 sand paper, using it in a circular motion will refinish the stone and get rid of the etch mark. If you prefer you can get that done by a professional once every five years is a good time. Stay away from azul lagos limestone, it will react with water creating efflorescence. Try to use a limestone like pietra del cardoso or jerusalem grey. If you are looking for a limestone look but not the maintenance I would also recommend some of the Caeserstone colors. Also a honed super white quartzite can look stunning with much less maintenance.

Best

Fabio Figueiredo
La Pietra Marble, Inc.
http://www.lapietramarble.com
May 12, 2012 at 6:27pm     
Laura
I agree with Fabio - We have the super white quartzite in a showroom display and often clients are drawn to it as it resembles marble without all the maintenance. Beautiful stone in the honed finish!!
Laura - Braam's Custom Cabinets
www.braams.ca
October 7, 2012 at 7:21am   
Our new house in Tampa. New flooring? New cabinets? Paint colors?
We will be living in this house and want some suggestions...
Mirror Help
I need help accenting a unique chest. I bought a mirror...
New apartment: what to do, what to do!
I have a new apartment and love all my furniture. What...
Remodelling antique teak wood cupboard
The cupboard is old teak wood. It is very heavy for...
Please help me tie my room together!
Hi everyone! I've been decorating my living room and...