Countertop durability

lynnmorgan1035April 29, 2012
Can anyone comment on the durability of the limestone countertop. I want to use this same color but I am concerned about stains in a busy kitchen. Any comments will be appreciated.
Lido Isle Home · More Info
I have a limestone countertop that was not sealed when we bought our house and I wouldn't do it again. I know some people like the patina you get with use and etching over time, but it makes me feel like the counter is never clean. :/

I think it comes down to care, maintenance and personal preference. If you are okay with being more careful with the surface, being sure to seal it periodically, and living with the wear that shows up, you are fine.
    Bookmark   May 10, 2012 at 4:40PM
Marie Meko, Allied ASID
i agree with Emily's comments and even if the are sealed in the beginning you will have the same problems. They are very beautiful and like a lot of beautiful things they can be high maintenance!
    Bookmark   May 10, 2012 at 4:44PM
Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC.
My experience with kitchen countertops is that granite and Caesarstone (Quartz), are the most durable. I have the perspective of seeing what people are ripping out before their remodels, it's often marble and other softer materials that have been damaged. I love the way it looks too, it's just better in other applications, especially vertical applications like fireplace surrounds and accent walls. In my opinion, the maintenance on these softer stones is a nightmare. I would not want chips, stains, etching or any of that stuff on my countertops. My advice is to go with the most durable material that fits within your color palette and budget. There are so many good looking granite and quartz options. You will be glad you did this when your countertop is still shining like new in 10 years. Hope this helps. Good luck with your project. Charmean Neithart
1 Like    Bookmark   May 10, 2012 at 7:03PM
kterri
I am looking for a granite but love the carrera look. I live in the Pasadena area and would love to know where to purchase the "carrera look" granite. Thanks!
    Bookmark   May 12, 2012 at 4:18PM
sbthompson
Don't know vendors in the Pasedena area, but for a Carrera look check out " Kashmir or cashmere granite, or Alaskan white
1 Like    Bookmark   May 12, 2012 at 5:27PM
Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC.
Try Pearl White or Bianco Romano granite. Call Kim at Stonemart in North Hollywood or Marble Unlimited in Van Nuys. Hope that helps. Charmean
    Bookmark   May 12, 2012 at 6:13PM
La Pietra Marble, Inc.
If you are using marble or limestone and you want it to always look new, there will take a little bit of work but it's not the end of the world. First start by asking your stone to be sealed with stone proof from Dry treat, in my opinion its the best sealer out there. Second etch marks will happen but they can be fixed with a simple 600 sand paper, using it in a circular motion will refinish the stone and get rid of the etch mark. If you prefer you can get that done by a professional once every five years is a good time. Stay away from azul lagos limestone, it will react with water creating efflorescence. Try to use a limestone like pietra del cardoso or jerusalem grey. If you are looking for a limestone look but not the maintenance I would also recommend some of the Caeserstone colors. Also a honed super white quartzite can look stunning with much less maintenance.

Best

Fabio Figueiredo
La Pietra Marble, Inc.

http://www.lapietramarble.com
1 Like    Bookmark   May 12, 2012 at 6:27PM
Laura
I agree with Fabio - We have the super white quartzite in a showroom display and often clients are drawn to it as it resembles marble without all the maintenance. Beautiful stone in the honed finish!!
Laura - Braam's Custom Cabinets
www.braams.ca
    Bookmark   October 7, 2012 at 7:21AM
Countertop durability
I've heard mixed reviews on the strength of glassos...
katewnicholson
Help Me Choose Counter for Mudroom
My tiny mudroom is being remodeled. Attached is a rendering....
stephmal
island countertop durability
How durable are wooden countertops? I am seeing more...
currylk
Need expertise and experience: quartzite vs. Quartz
After reading countless articles on the web and on...
Rachel Silverman
Help decorating small dining room
My dining room has a entranceway from the kitchen (on...
nab5858
HELP-something is off in my living room and i don't know what it is
I need help in reviving my living room. i've tried...
pontes_mari
Living Room Dilemma
Large wall and need ideas on what to do with it. Don't...
-theresa
Wall decor ideas
My shelf is permanent so I need some suggestions on...
Melissa Gibson
West facing light & frustrated on paint color :-(
I'd be so elated to get some help here on a dilemma...
earthydecorater
Sponsored Products
Fresca Bellezza Espresso Modern Double Vessel Sink Bathroom Vanity
Hudson Reed
Warm Copper Hanging Basket
$11.99 | zulily
Virtu UM-3079-G-ES 23'' Glass Countertop Single Bathroom Vanity With Cabine
$699.00 | Blue Bath
Polaris PUPLB Porcelain Undermount Bisque
$95.17 | PLFixtures
48" Loft Vanity
Signature Hardware
Ceramic Floor & Wall Tile: Daltile Building Materials Matte Artisan Brown 4-1/4
$2.60 | Home Depot
Set of Four Ships Italian Marble Coasters
$59.50 | FRONTGATE
Cambridge Maple Caramel Stained Wood Shaker Kitchen Cabinet Sample
CliqStudios Cabinets