Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cchu

Need help with my Living room/piano room decoration - wall color suggestion!!

cchu
11 years ago
I am thinking to change color on my wall in my living room/piano room.
Any suggestion? I have a black piano and a modern leather sofa and a black ikea bookshelf will be putting in this room. Any suggestion how to redecorate or put furniture layout. Thanks, carla

Comments (6)

• ihomeowner
    11 years ago
    I love your floors, but I think that light shades of silverygreys would really open up your space and make it appear larger than it is. If I knew the room size it would be easier to think of various furniture layouts. Do you have a favorite painting/picture that you can pull your colors from. Even a cushion or special throw can be the inspiration for a new room color. Hope this helps abit. Color is amazing so be brave,especially with your colorful "accents" such as cushions , drapes, paintings, plants, etc. Maybe make one wall papered, and pull your accent colors from that. Good Luck and have fun with it.
  • Manon Floreat
    11 years ago
    I think a salon vibe would work well in this room. For the walls consider going with white (ie; Decorator's White Benjamin Moore). Since your sofa is already modern, consider incorporating more contemporary furnishings in the room. Or you can go eclectic.

I imagine the sofa on the left side of the room and the piano on the opposite wall with art above it. Just before it by the window a smaller scale chair and floor to ceiling curtain panels.

I'd consider painting the book shelf white and placing it on the right wall perpendicular to the piano.

Below are some ideas to think about. Good luck!
  • PRO
    Holzman Interiors, Inc.
    11 years ago
    https://www.houzz.com/photos/18th-contemporary-family-room-san-francisco-phvw-vp~44802
    This room integrates the piano onto a focal wall but uses a sofa to balance the space. I would like the room walls whether it be a neutral or a soft color. If you are starting without furniture, maybe, pull a color for your walls from an accent pillow or from a window treatment fabric. Be creative.
  • cchu
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    thanks everyone for your suggestion.
  • sheilaskb
    8 years ago

I agree with another poster that a silvery grey on the walls would look wonderful with the wood-tone of the floor. However, a neutral light blue also would look nice because blue is the complementary color of the brown in the floor. If you have a grand piano, I would suggest you place it across the corner that is to the left of the large window unit. I would suggest you leave the large framed mirror where it is, and you might find two additional matching mirrors you could place on the wall behind the piano to reflect the light. I would suggest you move the dark-framed collection of small pictures to a place where the entire set can be viewed more easily. The dark frame would look nice above a low bookcase about 48 inches high, provided you could place such on a narrow wall next to a doorway, in the foyer, or in a hallway. A small sofa would look nice under the single framed mirror, and it would provide excellent seating for your "audience" whenever you play the piano. An occasional chair in a matching upholstery or even a bold accent color, placed across the other corner of the room, would complete the look.