Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kauferdesigns

Bought 4 season lake cabin. In process of remodeling - what would you do?

Modern, vintage, cottage, industrial style is what I am trying to achieve. I believe we have a little gem! We have removed a few walls, like the half wall in first photo. Just about finished with the remodel but would love to hear what you would do! Working with what is there - show me your ideas, would love to hear them!!! I will post pictures when we are done. :) FYI all furniture has been tossed!

Comments (22)

• lefty47
    11 years ago
    HI -- How cute ! Have you thought about doing a whiteish grey wash on all the wood to get rid of the orange yelllow wood . I have seen it on other knotty pine wood rooms and it looked great and lightened the place up. I think it would be a good update.
  • michigammemom
    11 years ago
    Congratulations Kelli. I love the modern industrial vibe of this inspiration space in terms of furnishings and decor. Will you be keeping all the knotty pine?
    Mill Valley Bungalow · More Info
  • mousemaker
    11 years ago
    the most precious part of the cabin we spent most of our happiest time in? the windows to watch the wildlife :) i would make sure there were more windows, to be honest. it doesn't look like there are in your photos and i would feel claustrophobic where the old sofa was :) but i could be wrong :)
  • houssaon
    11 years ago
    I'd white wash the pine in some areas too. Love that bar area it seems to have a real patina! So that would be one item I would not paint, at least not the counter. You can instill some industrial flare with lighting throughout the house and stainless steel counter tops in the kitchen. Search "industrial" in the product section and you'll find all types of products for inspiration. I'd do wide slat venetian blinds on all the windows (or cotton sheer on a tension rod mounted inside the window frame). Some windows might look good with simple panels in addition to the blinds.
    Casual dining room · More Info
  • mspitler1
    11 years ago
    I'd open up the space by removing the wall with the pass thru/ cut out window in it or make that a 1/2 wall with a counter and stools to open up the space. Sometimes one room can allow more light to pass through from the windows to other when the space is opened up and give a sense of larger spaces.The wood stove enjoyed by both rooms. Good luck with your cozy cottage!
  • PRO
    Kelli Kaufer Designs
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Here are some views out to the lake.
    MSpitler1 - We did remove the half wall and painted everything white.
    As for the windows and darkness - I must say I never have a light on during the day, amazingly there is light everywhere.
    Houssan - I put up white cotton crisp panels for the curtains.
  • Jamieson
    11 years ago
    Fun project Kelli, I'm sure you'll wow us! I think that niche with the old sectional is begging for a cozy aprés ski u-shaped conversation pit. I have to admit all that wood is a little overwhelming in this space, but I'm sure you found a great solution to create some harmony and balance. I'm dying to see what you did with the little heat stove/fireplace, considering the options! I'm attaching some of my personal favs.
    Miners Refuge great room · More Info

Mid-Century Modern Addition, Truro · More Info

Contemporary Living Room · More Info

Can't wait to see the results!
  • PRO
    Kelli Kaufer Designs
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Jamieson - Love the pics!
    It will be a long process, taking our time and making sure we do it right.
    Found a great piece for the kitchen island - 100 year old hardware store nail/screw bin - 8' long by 30" deep and holds 25 metal bins SO COOL. It is from a hardware store my dad purchased years ago. Kitchen is gutted right now but I see the vision :)
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    11 years ago
    Kelli, love the house. The chevron pattern is fabulous!
  • PRO
    Susan Mills Design
    11 years ago
    Oh what a fun project! Already it is looking transformed. Can't wait to see more pics.

Susan
  • lefty47
    11 years ago
    HI - Kelli - Things are sure changing for the better , what fun ! I know we are all waiting to see , when it's finished.
  • Manon Floreat
    11 years ago
    This is the cabin! It's absolute perfection. With those crisp white patterned walls, I can see a kilim area rug somewhere and a vintage wrought iron lantern chandelier. Maybe something like this.

Congratulations on your new retreat!
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    I agree with white washing or even painting the wood paneling white to modernize it.

lowcountry river house · More Info

Henry Island · More Info
  • PRO
    Charmean Neithart Interiors
    11 years ago
    Hi Kelli. I'm just seeing your post for the first time. Looks like great fun. Just wanted to share this with you. I did this cabin a few years ago and was surprised by how much I like this aesthetic. It's just so warm, I love all the wood in a cabin. I decided to do a little African twist with the classic cabin aesthetic. I love how it turned out. Everyone was quite happy with it. Take a look...
    Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC. · More Info

I think some of these pieces would look great with the white wood work you have incorporated. Hope that helps. Have fun. Charmean Neithart
  • PRO
    Susan Mills Design
    11 years ago
    Charmean that cabin is amazing. Love it!
  • PRO
    Charmean Neithart Interiors
    11 years ago
    Thank you Susan. It really worked and was fun doing something a bit out of the box. I'm happy you liked it. Charmean
  • PRO
    Kelli Kaufer Designs
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Charmean - fantastic job, I love all the patterns and textures. It is refreshing when designers think outside the box and decide to go with their gut - You have a great gut - in a good design sense way! ;)
    PROGRESS - we have halted working on the inside for awhile, focusing on the outside - red cedar siding with shakes. LOVE the textures but couldn't stand all the red. Would have loved to have had it all natural but that was a no go, second best, I painted it all a medium gray, white trim and adding a spectacular blue metal roof!
    The cabin sits 15 yards from a beautiful spring fed lake, with a sandy beach, a slice of heaven!
    It will take time but I think we are eventually going to move here permanently!
  • Jamieson
    11 years ago
    Kelli, your exterior sounds gorgeous! I love the combo of grey and blue, very Scandinavian chic! Hope we get a few teaser photos!
  • PRO
    INVIEW Interior Design
    11 years ago
    Can't wait to see the finished product!
  • Tami Colston
    11 years ago
    I sure would like to see the outside and more pics. I have just started building a lake house and I am planning on doing shiplap painted or whitewashed interior. I am still trying to decide on the exterior. I would love to have all the ideas I can get. Your's looks like it is going to be amazing. Congrats!
  • Hope
    11 years ago
    I live in a log cabin and am so afraid to paint my walls. I so want to see your finished interior space. Do you have any new pics? (And any advice on my space?) Thanks. Love your work.