Great patio, is it slate?
nycsd
May 2, 2012 in Photo Questions
I am looking to create this idea for my patio.
Is it slate?
Thanks very much.
Cathy Carr, APLD
The stone is Pennsylvania flagstone, 1.5" thick, installed on a base of compacted stone dust. Slate is a particular type of stone that I believe comes from VT and parts north. It is thinner and shiny and thus not good for outside use in areas where winters freeze and ice films making surfaces slippery. PA flagstone can certainly get slippery in ice but the surface is a bit more absorbent of moisture. Slate is worse in the Dc area where I practice landscape design since ice forms more quickly and stays on the surface. We see slate used inside homes, particularly entry halls and sunrooms, where ceramic tiles are often used interchangeably.
May 7, 2012 at 4:45AM     
rbcola
Cathy.....this is very nicely done. Would PA flagstone be OK for Southern IN??? We defiinitely have the freeze/thaw factor. Perhaps if it is.....it might be better further out in the areas you might put an outdoor fireplace and seating rather than in the walkways. What are your thoughts/comments.
November 17, 2012 at 10:55AM   
rbcola
November 17, 2012 at 10:55AM     
Buechel Stone Corp
This is fine for your area. Bluestone ok in all climates.
November 17, 2012 at 6:41PM   
Cathy Carr, APLD
I'm glad you like it. PA flagstone should be fine in IN. It can be installed on a concrete base or on dust. I suggest you speak with a landscape designer (try apld.org) or a mason in your area to see what is readily available, or visit a local stone quarry or yard.
Good luck!
November 18, 2012 at 4:41AM   
rbcola
Thank you Cathy. I think we're on the right path and appreciate and solicit further comment.
We're planning a home build - haven't broken ground hope to do so 1st part of 2013 weather permitting. Over the last 2y identifying "all".....or as many finishes as I can before ground break (help manage cost issues - even have 1st, 2nd, 3rd choices...just in case!). The focus over the last few weeks deciding on exterior finishes.

Thank you for offering apld.org - there isn't a listed member in my area - only 1 for Indiana. But had a preliminary consultation with "Designscape Horticultural Services, Kyle Lueken, Landscape Designer/Consultant, LEED Accredited Professional - several months ago at our lot discussing ideas on landscaping, home placement, and how to "cope" with deer/wild life since our lot is surrounded by trees, woods, etc. (I was thinking of planting roses around the perimieter as a deterrant! (Just kidding)

Also working with a local stone mason to determine selection and interest.
This IS limestone country - multiple quarries in this area. Although I haven't dealt with the quarries directly - my experience has been to go through the masonry dealer and discussions w/our archtect.

Can you see why houzz.com has been such a God-send for me. I'm a houzz.com junkie!!! Discovered about 6 months ago. I can't tell you how helpful it has been. Thank you personally for your role in that!
November 19, 2012 at 5:28AM   
Difficult living room layout
I have a long and narrow living room with way too many...
Need help picking out cushions for living room
I'm trying to finish up the living room. Would love...
Need help with flooring
I am constructing a new double-story house which has...
Floors !
Looking into new flooring, love the look of wood but...