How can I get a Juniper, Cypress or Cedar tree to look like these?
Denise Vilim
I know the trees pictured here are most likely in the Juniper family, what I do not know is their variety, or more importantly how I can get any Juniper, Cedar or Cypress tree to look like the ones pictured here? From all of the research I have done, it appears as though these trees do not naturally grow like this unless exposed to harsh weather conditions (mostly frequent, strong winds). I would greatly appreciate any info or knowledge anyone can share. Thanks!!
Any luck finding an answer yet? I would think that with proper pruning, you could train them this way. They look like oversized bonsai to me, in a good way. :)
May 25, 2012 at 4:37PM   
Joseph I. Mycyk Architects, Inc.
This is a very old juniper. The thickness of the trunks suggest that. The space underneath was probably somewhat achieved by annual pruning.

I suggest you read up on the varieties of junipers paying attention to how tall and wide they grow. You can visit a nursery and speak to one of the experts there.
May 26, 2012 at 4:43AM   
sylvestercat
I am in the middle of buying this house after 95 year old died, deffered maintenance. Am wondering If I can make these junipers do the bonsai or are they too old to prune to this extent?
October 14, 2012 at 9:55AM   
gbroker83
You probably already figured it out by now, but if you haven't, start by trimming the lower branches around the trunk, up to the desired height for the base of the tree. Start small because every branch will make a big difference. Once you do that you will be able to prune for desired effect. Look up cloud pruning or niwaki for reference. Bonsai is whole different ball game.
December 24, 2012 at 9:47AM   
sylvestercat
Thank you, I asked this question months ago, while my husband and I were placing an offer on this house. We closed on December 4th, on the 5th my husband passed away......... By spring I will have new pictures of how it is going. The snow dumps on these tams really hard when it comes off the roof. They are 30 years old. This house and yard is all that is keeping me moving forward.
December 24, 2012 at 11:27AM   
Ross NW Watergardens
Oh, I am sooo sorry. Please hang in there!
December 24, 2012 at 12:13PM   
houssaon
sylvestercat: My condolences. I am so sorry that your husband will not be able to enjoy the home with you.
December 24, 2012 at 2:21PM   
CASTLE Design Studio LLC
Sylverstercat, may God bless and keep you. Hugs, Diane
December 24, 2012 at 3:18PM   
sylvestercat
Thanks for all the well wishes,,,,,,,,,,,,, I will be back with you guys when I can breathe again.
December 24, 2012 at 4:56PM   
gbroker83
Its such a tragedy. I'm in a similar situation with my wife and you're right about the house keeping you busy. I never thought so much work could be such a blessing.
January 4, 2013 at 6:46AM   
nasmijati
My sympathy.

When you are "able to breathe," consult an arborist ("tree surgeon"). You will be amazed at what a certified arborist can do!
January 5, 2013 at 8:24AM   
Kitchen help !!!
Hello there, we're hoping to move into our new home...
what should we do with our kitchen?
We've been doing a lot of thinking about redoing our...
Paint suggestion?
With newly stained concrete floors we are trying to...
Am I heading in the right direction?
My goal is cottage style with craftsman influences....