Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
matt_spiegel

Need Help With Staging and Accessorizing Book/Display Shelves

DreamHaus Inc.
9 years ago
So I've finished a home renovation and am stuck with the final placement of the books, accessories, etc. I have moved it a few times, where it is now is just a rough idea, I have 2 shelves over the TV, 3 shelves in the corner, and a ledge on top of the kitchen (Currently with vases but thinking of putting books up there, have some more books in storage).
Photos attached.

Any ideas how I can move things around to flow better and create some visual interest without being too cluttered or looking too barren either?

Comments (9)

• Maureen
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    By adding all of these accessories, there is a very cluttered feeling. I hope this helps: Kitchen: I would remove items from the top of the cupboards and try to limit items on counter to what you need daily. I would move your clock down also. Window Ledge: Remove everything (except the plants) and place electronics to the table below so wires arent's so visual. Corner Shelving: Try moving bowl on 3rd shelf to the top and place the vase with flowers that was on the table to the bottom shelf along with the black bike from shelving. Computer area: Remove all small items next to computer. Remove pictures and place two on the top shelf, leaning against the wall and maybe an item to the side. On second shelf just place books - laying down and standing up and adding a small item on that shelf. Items have to work together and it will make for a much more cohesive look.
    [houzz=
    Contemporary Living Room · More Info
    ]
    DreamHaus Inc. thanked Maureen
  • PRO
    Diane Mahan
    9 years ago
    hi. I'd take down the bottom shelf over tv and declutter remaining.one. There's something bothers me about the pics. Perhaps leave one set and replace other with one wall treatment. maybe round.
    window ledge look way too busy esp with cords hanging down. Just put a few things on ledge but not symmetrically placed. Plant on one side and grouping of 3 different sized items on the other.
    DreamHaus Inc. thanked Diane Mahan
  • PRO
    DreamHaus Inc.
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Here are more clear photos
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    9 years ago
    New pics do not change advice
  • PRO
    DreamHaus Inc.
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Despite the sarcastic remark, I added the photos so that specific items can be seen and I can get specific items of what to remove and what goes where. I put the items on the shelf not as a resting place but to show the items that I have available for accessorizing and how they may be used. Declutter is obvious and already know that, the cord on the window blinds must stay for obvious reasons... Thanks.
  • apple_pie_order
    9 years ago
    Are you staging this for sale (I remember the other discussion)? or is it your own? I'm a bit puzzled why the white shelves were added over the tv and in the corner. Perhaps you might describe your vision for the room?
  • boundsgreener
    9 years ago
    Hi. I think everyone meant well and there was some quite specific advice and I think the reference to the cords was the electronic ones - not the ones for the blinds! Anyway, I'll try and start again because you have some really lovely things there.....

Ok, remove these things from the shelves above the monitor: three cameras, the chess set, the black vases, the bicycle, the glass jar with lid, the picture that you can't see, the glass bowl, and the vase with the pink flowers. You should be left with the books and the silver bauble.

You should try the blue and green items from the corner shelves and side table on the shelves above the monitor so they tie in with the canvases. If my monitor is correct, that would be the vase on the side table, the green one from the middle shelf, the blue one from the bottom and the one with the cork - that looks brownish or green. You've done a great job with the book stacks on both shelves, so fiddle with the books and these blues/greens/silver bauble above the monitor and see how it looks. Maybe add the books from the other shelves, but don't add any more curvy, decorative stuff.

Move the orchid from next to the monitor onto the side table and I think the blue one on the other side of the monitor needs to move to the "not sure" pile for now.

The glass bowl that was on the top monitor shelf needs to be seen from above as well as the side to be appreciated. Unless you have a big dog with a waggy tail or toddlers, put in on a coffee or dining table. Same with the aqua/pink/white one on the floor under the corner shelves - it is gorgeous, but lost down there.

Ok, where am I.... the cameras and bicycle should go together, so try them on the corner shelves. It might end up all black and industrial, so put one colourful thing there to tie it in - maybe the fab sculpture bowl thing currently on the floor onto the middle shelf. The little clock can probably stay. See what you think.

Try the black vases in another part of the room - then you've got black monitor in one place, bit of black from the cameras/bicycle in another corner and vases in another corner of the room.

So you should have anything that lives on the window ledge, with orchid on the little table, and we can cull those later, and a few left overs with no home, but that is good for now.

Can you try it and take some more photos? I have to go and rest my eyes for a bit....
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    II think the cords being referenced as "messy" are those connected to chargers, etc on the window ledge, not the blind cords. Thanks for letting us see all the accessories you have to work with. If you have a lot of books, a bookcase might be in order. If you have the floor space, you might consider a horizontal one under the window and behind the chairs. The only books I advise decorating with are hardbacks. I notice two color themes among your items; black and white, and aqua/teal. I'd select one of those to use in warm season and the other in cool season. Store the others away until the weather changes. I think the black and white will work in fall and winter because you can add seasonal holiday colors to them. Aqua and teal are cool and refreshing to see in the warmer weather. You can add some pillows and throws to work with the seasonal colors too. Generally, shelves should be styled with 1/3 books, 1/3 large decor items and 1/3 open space. I would like to see a larger game table between your two white chairs so the chess set could remain there, easily ready for play.