Update 1973 architecture
8803lakeside
We are willing to partially remove the roof but don't know what to replace it with. The "dormer" is unsightly but brings lots of light into the entry area. Also, the shed roof on the garage has solar panels, does anyone have experience with removing and replacing them?
DeWitt Architects
I think you have some potential here. Would you be able to post some more images?
0 Likes   May 7, 2012 at 3:17PM
8803lakeside
I have one of the back of the house, straight at the entry way and an elevation facing west.
0 Likes   May 7, 2012 at 6:50PM
Hi raptorwatcher, I would recommend removing the out of place shed dormer and if possible you can extend the clerestory windows and roof line across. There are many talented professionals that can help with solar panels, good luck.
0 Likes   May 7, 2012 at 9:17PM
8803lakeside
Thank you! I meet with the contractor tomorrow and will share this idea with him.
0 Likes   May 7, 2012 at 10:12PM
DeWitt Architects
Thanks for the extra images. Would you be able to take a front elevation shot showing entire house? I would like to do a quick sketch for you but I am having a hard time understanding the entire 3D shape from the shots provided.

Here is my concept for now. I like the form and shapes of the house and think the 1973 design should be enhanced instead of downplayed.

I think the front door dormer should stay. It provides relief and interest along the front and natural light to the foyer. It can be changed and worked in with the front door to give an impression that they are one form. Maybe even extended to create a front porch roof overhang.

The exterior side doors should become a full glass doors and the front door should be painted wood door with full glass sidelights. Go to this website and design a hip door for yourself http://www.crestviewdoors.com/browse/amazing-door-o-vision.html .

I would paint the brick some or all of the brick.

At the dormers and siding area add vertical fiber concrete 1X2 strips to create a board and batten effect.

This is fun style and adding color, light and details makes it even better. Browse the retro mod houses on this website to get ideas.
0 Likes   May 8, 2012 at 8:06AM
Mary Pettit
I love your house! There are some great architectural features that make it one of a kind. This girl only needs some dressing to bring out her features.
0 Likes   May 8, 2012 at 10:00AM
8803lakeside
Here is a full shot of the front of the house, at least most of it.
0 Likes   May 8, 2012 at 10:26AM
houssaon
Can't wait to see what DeWitt Architects comes up with!

On another note, the fireplace chimney seems too short.
0 Likes   May 8, 2012 at 10:52AM
Kevin
What design/style are you looking for? Modern/contemporary, more traditional... ?

Also, any chance at a higher resolution shot of the full shot of the front of the house?
0 Likes   May 8, 2012 at 10:58AM
Arlene Warda, Architecture+Interior Design
Hi, I agree with the comments above. I like the roof with skylights, on flat roof, but I think I have come up with a another solution to consider.. The house has great potential. So you can work with it the style of house you have, as inspiration. Here is one solution. i used the existing dormer at the front entry, and made it look like the side, salls, triangle shape with sloped roof. it gives it a strong solution, and yet has an idea for the front, that fits with the existing architecture, roof on the left. It is one of the solutions. Take a look. It is easy to do, your carpenter can do it an adjust it, the angles, just for you!
0 Likes   May 8, 2012 at 11:16AM
Kevin
Here's my take on it...
0 Likes   May 8, 2012 at 4:39PM
ourfarmhouse
Some suggestions...

1. Replace the dormer mishmash with a single large dormer filled with windows.
2. Make sure the eaves are generous.
3. Use wood beams and tongue-in-groove ceilings on the under side of the dormer.
4. Roof the dormer with metal standing seam
5. Mimic this treatment (deep eaves, wood beams and ceiling underside, metal roof) on the slanted roof to the left...and on a modern cantilevered entry portico.
4. Clad the body and windows of the dormer in a dark, warm charcoal gray aluminum.

____________________________________

Here are a couple of inspiration links:

Lake House One - Exterior

Lake House Two - Exterior

Pool

Rustic Exterior

______________________________________

...and the mock-up...
1 Like   May 18, 2012 at 10:02PM
Please help soon. A 1973 ranch home on the lake starts updates soon
23.000 sq. ft. Bathrooms and kitchen will be totally...
pupin
1973 kitchen needs update
Although this kitchen is long, the counter space is...
Kathy May
Need help updating this 80's architecture.
We bought this house because the interior was entirely...
c2miedem
In search of architectural recommendations to update front elevation!
We are looking for any recommendations for created...
jstephens72
mommag109
Skirting Board colours....?
What colour should i paint these skirting boards? House...
myperfectadvice
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
licksch
Kitchen Remodel Advice
We are going to totally gut our kitchen and remodel....
melissa92102
Best thing to happen at home in 2014?
Our homes are where our lives unfold. What was the...