Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rgh333

Foyer

rgh333
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
Hi, the foyer of our new home was redone in 2011, but we came upon old photos of it pre-renovation that lead us to wonder if we should remove the drywall covering the four sided stone wall and paint it out as we are redoing the railing and banister, etc. We are so confused whether or not to leave this feature as-is, uncover the stone wall on both sides, or tile over the drywall on the foyer side only, due to cost. Please, please help and let me know what you think. Thank you so much!

Comments (22)

• PRO
    Dytecture
    9 years ago
    More views of the foyer would be helpful.
  • PRO
    Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
    9 years ago
    With these photos we are only seeing the floor...and one of the pictures shows a wall that actually blocks the staircase...is that correct? If it is correct...?
  • chuppi
    9 years ago
    Like the original stone goes well with the wooden ceiling as well...it is a crime to drywall it :)
  • rgh333
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I added a few more photos, but I'm not sure what else is needed to figure out the foyer? We are changing the existing lighting, railing, and window above the front door. We are just uncertain about that stone and if its cool or way out of style. Would it be more current if stained? We are so confused!
  • rgh333
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I originally included photos of both how the foyer looks currently and how it looked prior to 2011, when this house was redone while being flipped. we just bought this house this month. We came upon those old photos via some simple web sleuthing! OK, so that large vertical wall is the former stone wall. I wanted to show different angles of that wall. The stairs wrap around that wall, if that helps to clarify things? It is a split entry, with a few stairs that are at the left of the entry leading to the main level and a couple that go down to the family room and other rooms.
  • rocketjcat
    9 years ago
    Why is there a wall there at all? It definitely looks odd to have a sheet rocked panel in the middle of the staircase. I don't think it could look much worse if it was stone. But I think it would be better without it entirely if possible. Just my nonprofessional opinion.
  • Carol Johnson
    9 years ago
    Bring the stone wall back, that's a great feature.
  • rgh333
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The wall itself looks more awkward in photos than in person. Our real question is the stone underneath and whether its ugly, dated, or simply not relevant to an interior with contemporary style. Any suggestions on that stone and how to make it current? We much prefer the thinner jagged look now shown, but we have what we have on that wall underneath the drywall. Thoughts?
  • PRO
    User
    9 years ago
    I would definitely remove the drywall. Do you know if the stone wall is structural or if it hiding a smaller supporting wall or column? it might be worth investigating.
  • rgh333
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The wall is simply decorative and meant to be a feature wall. There are no structural columns or necessary supports in the wall. Based on the feedback and our instincts we are going to bring out the stone wall and either paint it or whitewash it. It needs to be uncovered!
  • rocketjcat
    9 years ago
    Great! Show us a picture when the dry walls off!
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    Remove the wall. Looks strange.
  • PRO
    S&A Decor
    9 years ago
    the wall does look strange, but if don't wanna move it u can cover it with wall murals, add some creative shaving...
  • rgh333
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I hear you about the wall being funny. I agree. It was an original feature and would be fun to whitewash. However, if I took it down the stairs could be done to my liking. One concern is removing that wall makes things so open. Also, I don't want it to look cookie cutter. I took a few more photos of the foyer...
  • rgh333
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Some more...does that help? :-/
  • btydrvn
    9 years ago
    I think it should all be removed if possible...then put your effort to making the staircase beautiful...in such and unusual situation it is difficult to tell from pictures why it was there...the bricks are not a great look in my opinion and were probably covered for that reason..if you keep it it looks like a great spot for an art feature
  • btydrvn
    9 years ago
    If nothing else I would re- do the odd stair configuration at the bottom
  • btydrvn
    9 years ago
    The little wall opening is baffling also...this almost seems like you need a pro on site for this puzzle
  • chuppi
    9 years ago
    Not to worry about stone being 'old fashioned'
    If you want a modern look(not rustic, I mean),
    you could work with stone wall as a backdrop for modern artwork/ geometric shelves/ console/ mirror etc... to create an overall sleek look.
    Some reference images.
    The stone will add to the warmth & coziness of the space while the accessories will give a
    look to intend to achieve!
  • rgh333
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Ughhh!!!! I went to a nearby home with a similar layout. This home was not renovated and has the same wall but with the stone uncovered. Not so sure about it anymore....kind of turned off either by that home's interior or the actual stone wall! So glad I walked up to the house and they let me in to take a look. Eek!
  • chuppi
    9 years ago
    The wall art they have is very loud...
    You could select asper your taste & will make
    A difference....
    If you are completely a stone hater, then let it be concealed as is...