Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
salalitten

Need exterior ideas!

Laurie
9 years ago
Keeping the siding for now on our new house. What would you do?

Comments (40)

• Laurie
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    We are going to add a roof over the front door and my husband wants to use dry stacked stone on the middle section. Obviously we are replacing the double glass doors: what kind if glass? Black shutters?
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    Can't really see your doors. Can you take a close up of them?
  • PRO
    Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
    9 years ago
    Black shutters and black front door...then do some more planting in the yard to soften the grounds...and make a more pronounced walk way up to the front door. the stacked stone may look a little more modern...just wanted to make sure you realize that...but if that is the look you are going for it will look very nice!
  • PRO
    JILL OF ALL~Kaarisa Blackwell
    9 years ago
    What colour will the roof be, and the dry stacked stone for the middle section? Is the fascia wood or metal? Sorry, you are replacing the front doors with...???
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    9 years ago
    I agree with Interior affairs, paint those pink looking shutters to black. And add upper windows to the garage door. Upper windows gives good look and prevents peope from looking in. And add some black hardware to garage doors
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    9 years ago
    Octagon windows near at peaks
    Zen, koi, floating steps, beach plantings, bungalow · More Info
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    And lastly, think of losing that peak think on garage roof altogether. If that's not an option then consider replacing it with dormers
  • PRO
    JILL OF ALL~Kaarisa Blackwell
    9 years ago
    If you go with black front doors and shutters, I would also suggest doing the overhead garage door, and all trim as well, to create continuity. My personal preference would be a 'dark brown' rather than black...as it would be a softer, more natural earthy look, and would go better with the cream/white trim of the fascia, etc! Or paint the front doors and overhead door to match the shutters...again creating continuity. Good Luck and have fun...do it the way you envision it! :-D
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    9 years ago
    To much lawn. Give it a break. I would go with a red maple http://www.naturehills.com/autumn-blazer-red-maple?gclid=CO3AzqbJt8ECFQmQaQodURYA2w
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    9 years ago
    And about giving the lawn a break, here's a photo i saved to my ideabook "walkways".
    Historic Lake Forest Cottage Renovation · More Info
    Notice the curves...so much better than a dull straight path
  • Denali Sham Sham
    9 years ago
    I don't know how familiar you are with the bovid genus, but if you chain a yak to that ornamental cherry, you shouldn't need to do much else. good luck.
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    9 years ago
    mooseygoose...Say what ? :))) A yak tied to a cherry tree ? Does that help the yak and/or cherry tree ?
  • Laurie
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I just realized I won't have an exterior shot of the doors until we get there this week. This is an interior pic and they are white on outside currently. I was thinking black but wanted your unbiased opinions so that's great! But I am also liking the dark brown idea!!!
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    Don't see room for a peaked portico. Maybe a flat one would serve you well.
    My Houzz: Updated Federal Style in Massachusetts · More Info

Colonial Revival · More Info
  • Laurie
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Okay here are the front doors currently.
  • Laurie
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    And the stone that I think we are leaning towards...
  • Laurie
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    And mooseygoose that tooke a day to figure that out!!!! Heehee!!
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    9 years ago
    The portico idea is a great idea. BTW salalitten is the stone gonna to be as siding ? I'm seeing the stone as planter boxes on both sides of door (about 3 feet high )
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    Bob Borson wants you to know that your shutters are improperly sized and therefore are actually shudders. He wants you to remove them: http://www.lifeofanarchitect.com/residential-architecture-101-shutters/
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    9 years ago
    Lol: Well i guess if that is bob wants then he shall have
  • carlyprouse
    9 years ago
    The wall that you do the stacked stone don't put up the shutters. Can you remove the grids in the windows? maybe consider using stone accents on garage halfway up to tie into middle section paint the garage door one of the dark colors in the stone.
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    Or maybe with a roof to match the house. Yeah, that's the ticket.
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    9 years ago
    Okay groveraxle that looks good (color needs tweaking of course)...
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    9 years ago
    And let me repeat please, with groveraxles' pics, it just confirms my initial suspicious's...your garage door needs upper windows and black hardware. I know that garage door is automatic...but hardware is still needed IMO to give it that face lift
  • Marianne Scoggin
    9 years ago
    I can't picture all the black that's been recommended, particularly for the garage door. I think it would be too much contrast, draw attention away from the entrance to the house and collect visible dirt and dust.

I like the house without shutters, but would some framing need to be added to the windows to make them appear a little bigger or to fill some space? I love the entryway with the peak to match the roof.

Adding black hardware to the garage door, would that fit with this current-day house style? I picture that as rustic, old-fashioned. I, too, have a garage door that will need to be changed, so I'm particularly interested in what that would look like.
  • delyanks
    9 years ago
    I'm concerned the stone on the bump out will make it look bulky and tower like. The portico may help. Maybe grover can help.
  • PRO
    Soothing Company
    9 years ago
    Beautiful home. Consider adding a water fountain to the landscape to bring more curb appeal. See more at https://www.soothingcompany.com/water-fountains/outdoor-fountains.html

Acorn Garden Fountain · More Info

Palamos Garden Fountain · More Info

Platia Garden Fountain · More Info
  • Laurie
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Grover, thanks for putting that idea in a pic. Looks awesome! What so you think of a metal roof that would curve, flat at the top but curve out towards the steps? Let me find a pic. Also what does everyone think about no shutters? I found a color between black and brown that I think would be great!!
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    Do you mean like this eyebrow portico? I like it, but I don't think it fits quite as well as one that repeats the same roofline.

FWIW, porticos are not the easiest things to steal. They're bulky, and it's hard to get them off quietly, and this one even had some landscaping with it. You have no idea what I went through to keep that porch light intact. I may have to start pumping iron. ;-)
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    grover, I don't think there's space between the top of the door and the bottom of the upstairs window for more than a flat portico. How about teleporting one of the ones I posted above?
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    I gotta admit, deco, it's kinda nice having someone else do the thieving for a change. ;-)
  • armchairshopper
    9 years ago
    1. I would not do anything to the garage door. It would draw attention away from the front door.
    2. As much as I like the stacked stone, it might be a little too casual to go with the beautiful and stately flat portico above.
    3. One more thing, check with your city to make sure that putting a portico on the front of the house will not violate any building set back lines.
  • PRO
    Katz Builders, Inc.
    9 years ago
    Your shutters are way too small. The purpose of the shutters is to close them, protecting the interior from a storm. I know this are permanently mounted and not usable but.. . These shutters are small and not to scale for the windows. Amazing the difference when the scale is correct.
  • Laurie
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I'm liking the flat roof that you two stole ;) you wouldn't leave anything white would you? I have no idea why that one area of house is white. I cannot wait to change it. We get the keys Thursday!! So what about stone in middle section and no shutters; flat roof. Then bigger shutters on remaining shutters. A color called safari brown. It's close to black. There are shutters all around the house we will have to replace.
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    Thanks for the "visual" grover! If hubs wants the stacked stone, you might consider a pergola spanning the front of the house. That, with shutters removed, would be a more casual look for your home. You might want to beef up the trim around the windows on the front facade once the shutters are gone. Here are some inspirations for style and color of a pergola.
    Crisp Architects · More Info

Traditional Exterior · More Info

needham studio - dphj.01 · More Info

Pergolas and Arbors · More Info
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    9 years ago
    Good flat roof portico decoenthusiaste & Groveraxle. What ya guys think making the roof a balcony and replacing the upper windows with french doors
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    Only if you will make use of it? Is there something to see from there? Do you mind the neighbors watching you enjoy it?
  • Laurie
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I thought I would post a pic of what we did! Took the advice and did dark brown. But! We’ve already moved again!!! :)
  • shirlpp
    6 years ago

Very nice!