Need help for my living room

rosemarie
9 years ago
Do not know how to arrange furniture and how to decorate to make it feel cozy

Comments (75)

• rosemarie
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    what about lampshades? Should I change them> Thank you everyone. You are all wonderful and wish I could bring you here!!!!!
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    Yes, see my comment on Sunday.
  • Vintage...VJ Jazzy Jazz
    9 years ago
    Come back Margo
    rosemarie thanked Vintage...VJ Jazzy Jazz
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    kellerr, if you want an updated look, you should change the lampshades. A simple drum shade would look good. Something like the orange-y shade on the lamp between the two chairs would be perfect.
  • rosemarie
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Decorations on fireplace? What does everyone think???
  • Betty Latty
    9 years ago
    fireplace looks wimpy. needs a larger mantle.
  • pcmom1
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Sure this has been said, but a much larger rug!

I would move the art above the FP to the far back wall. Looks like the large scale would fill that back wall better.

Nothing will make this room feel cozy as fast as painting the ceiling a warm and darker color. That will bring it down some, more to your level.
    Arlington Residence · More Info
  • pcmom1
    9 years ago
    If you could take everything off the mantle, and reface the fireplace....
    Colonial Revival · More Info
  • pcmom1
    9 years ago
    Warm ceiling color and furniture brought in close.

Living Room 15 · More Info
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    This is what I think you should do to the fireplace:
  • PRO
    TheFurnitureCollection
    9 years ago
    An Adam fireplace mantel and surround which can be purchased ready made and installed easily, hopefully over your existing one would be much more imposing and to scale.
    Have your furniture facing the fireplace on a LARGE rug.

Lovely room! You have plenty of space for two couches. A really large rug and elegant new lamps would greatly enhance the decor. The coffee table needs to be close to the sofa. The existing armchairs should stay in that area flanking the sofas. You could perhaps purchase two new armchairs for a separate TV corner.
  • stewy2you
    9 years ago
    wow, all I see is beige. Not a fan!
  • PRO
    Maureen Stevens Design
    9 years ago
    The high ceilings are awesome! You need to get the furnishings loser together and perhaps even create several conversation areas. You can put a console behind the sofa and then some sort of another cabinetry against the wall. Judging by the image, you will still have enough walkway in this area. The area rug needs to be bigger and perhaps paint the wall where the fireplace is a bold hue.
  • PRO
    Maureen Stevens Design
    9 years ago
    I want *closer* not loser :)
  • sandradclark
    9 years ago
    Kellerr, have we totally blown your mind? I think too many suggestions. We really don't need to rebuild your house. How are you feeling?
    rosemarie thanked sandradclark
  • rosemarie
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Totally!!!!!!!!!!!
  • rosemarie
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Do you think a black cabinet under Tv would be better. I have seen one with silver handles and bigger. Thank you everyone. Means more than you know
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    If you are not planning on rearranging the furniture, then it doesn't matter what cabinet you put under the TV. Except whatever cabinet you choose should be 25% longer (or more) than the width of the TV.
  • rosemarie
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    If i put a bigger picture on far wall does it need to match the one over the fireplace. Does it all have to match color of new carpet?? Thanku as always
  • happyleg
    9 years ago
    No.
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    Scale will need to balance a bit, but subject matter and colors don't. Tape it out with painter's tape to see what size will feel best with the FP art.
  • rosemarie
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    happyleg, I love the way you were able to rearrange furniture and actually show me a picture. Is that a program you use? I am so confused as to what color carpet/style carpet I should get and I am looking at a cabinet that is an antique color that looks almost black. Will this be okay with silver end tables and oak tables?? Can I just bring all of you here to redo the living room.....lol. I haven't slept just thinking about what I should do with this room. My husband does not want to move the tv and I want to some how bring a much newer feel to the room. Not sure what kind of lamps. Can the program you use show different types of lamps. Thank you sooooooooo much. The headaches are fewer when I am able to hear some ideas from all of you. You are all so great. Happy happy holidays to all of you and thank you for taking the time to help a lost soul......lol
  • sandradclark
    9 years ago
    Go to Ikea web site check lighting in LED section. economical & bulbs last 20,000 hours. Lots of ideas there. Left click on my name & click on art & rug & ottomans (I put some art in my ottoman ideabook. I wish I could photos photos like others do, but my ideabooks give you good choices.
  • happyleg
    9 years ago
    Yes to the black cabinet. Groveraxle we're calling you! Twenty-four inch lamps should work for end table. How about a floor lamp.
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    happyleg, she wants YOU to rearrange the furniture for her. I already did it once. Apparently hubby doesn't like the arrangement, wants the TV in front of the window with everyone's back to the fireplace.

What are we lookin' at here? New lampshades and black TV stand?
  • PRO
    RugKnots | Area Rugs
    9 years ago
    You need a bigger rug so the table doesn't look like it's isolated and lonely =) It also helps to reflect the grandness of your spacious living room and beautiful windows. I recommend blue which is great for when the light hits it in the morning.

I suggest these from www.rugknots.com

Ikat 6x8.75' Blue and Tan Classic Wool Rug without Borders

Vogue 5.33x7.5' Green and Cream Geometric & Contemporary Wool Rug without Borders

Classic Silk 6.2x10.6' Blue and Ivory Classic Silk & Wool Rug with Borders

I also attached image guide I saw for beds but same principle can be applied for furniture.
  • happyleg
    9 years ago
    Flock chairs on fp side of room angled on rug ends slightly. Put couch with sofa table behind it where it sat under the landing. End tables on sides or you can have the chairs here instead. Then can put chirs opposite couch. Is there a wall to right of sliding doors for tv? Can you put tv there? Some people put the back of couch in front of fireplace, but keep 4 feet away. If there isn't a wall for tv, then where it was before. You have a large room and tricky to arrange. My stress is on. Your end will be muscle power! Send pics for us. I hope I helped. I wish I was there.
  • happyleg
    9 years ago
    Oh, forgot the carpet, get a neutral color. One blends with floor like 8x10.
  • happyleg
    9 years ago
    Livingroom needs to be closer with fp with tv closer or make a area with tv & two chairs. It needs to look right & feel right. It needs to be cozy.
  • Shelley Blue
    9 years ago
    why do people come here and ask for advice and then have objections to every suggestion. hubby does not have very good design sense but if you want to please him do as he suggests. having a large spacious rooms seems such a waste if all furniture is pushed against walls in four corners of the room. you have such an opportunity here to take such good advice from experts and talented amateurs but ......
    up to you to decide
  • pcmom1
    9 years ago
    Most husbands seem to resist change. Something in the DNA?

Right now, spot where tv is doesn't allow for a much larger console under it. And don't you have terrible glare from the windows on the screen? And, one more thing, are those speakers mounted on the wall above the windows?

If tv must stay where it is: I would move speakers and add a wall of sheers to the windows. Then create two zones in the room: one with the two chairs to watch tv and then sofa facing fireplace.
  • pcmom1
    9 years ago
    Maybe give yourselves the present of new recliners. Then float them into the center of the room, maybe ten feet or so from the screen.
    Transitional Living Room · More Info
  • pcmom1
    9 years ago
    Panels with sheers would also up the cozy factor. I would do that in this room and the dining room.
    Easton House · More Info
  • happyleg
    9 years ago
    Under the loft with those spot lights sophia & art. You're going to have to move the chairs at an angle near tv if it's staying. Show your progress please.
  • happyleg
    9 years ago
    Hello, we're trying to help you what have you done yet? Pics
  • pcmom1
    9 years ago
    Poster is probably taking a break for Christmas, etc.!
  • happyleg
    9 years ago
    Thanks.
  • rosemarie
    Original Author
    8 years ago

please let me know what you think about lamps.can't. Just purchased and am not sure???? So thankful I have all of you to go to

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

The lamps are too short and two wiry with the wrought iron tables. Your art also needs to be rehung.

• rosemarie
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank u so much. How should they be hung and what kind of lamps. So glad your there

• rosemarie
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you so much!!!!!! I am so bad at this. How tall should they be?????

• rosemarie
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Can u come and just decorate my whole house lol. Will be sending another picture regarding kitchen island. We are going to put bead board but not sure what color to paint. Countertop green

• groveraxle
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Art should hang 5 - 8" above the sofa and be close enough together to relate to each other. Your two pieces are actually a little small for this wall; it would look better if they covered 2/3 - 3/4 the length of the sofa.

Your lamp bases are just too busy next to the legs of your tables. (IMO, they're too busy anywhere, but they especially don't work here). Get something about this tall and with a more substantial base. You could also tie in a color from the art while you're at it.

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

kellerr, how about taking pictures from every angle of the kitchen and starting a new dilemma. This dilemma is so old, it might not get seen. Also, explain where you want to put the beadboard.

• jantenor
    8 years ago
    I'm chiming in late, but there seems to be some current comments so here's my two cents. The fireplace isn't the focal point for the room because of its awkward placement in the transportation corridor from the doorway entering the room around to the stairs behind it. Instead, the view is the focal point. Put the tv where the sofa is on the wall. Use a piece of furniture that is 1/3 longer than the tv. Move the sofa perpendicular to the tv in the center of the room so there's room to walk in front of the tv through to the dining room. Use a console table or bench behind the sofa. Put the coffee table in front of the sofa close enough to to put your feet up on it. 15" to 18" away from sofa. That's what coffee tables are, after all - footstools that also hold your coffee mug. Have the two chairs face the sofa. Use a rug that is big enough to be under the front feet of the sofa and the chairs. Then the seating faces each other for conversation, you look one what to the tv and the other way to the great Windows, which are the best asset of the room. One of the end tables between the two chairs. The other on the window side of the sofa with matching lamps.

The alcove where the stairs are behind the fireplace would probably fit the existing rug with a reading chair and a side table by the window. Distribute the family photos around the room with one or two on the end tables.
  • rosemarie
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Under island thanku

• rosemarie
    Original Author
    8 years ago

You are truly an angel on earth

• jantenor
    8 years ago

These houzz photos show what I suggested for having the tv on the wall and furniture perpendicular to it. You can lie down on the sofa to watch tv and angle the outer chair a bit for perfect viewing at the right distance.

Eclectic Living Room with Pops of Color · More Info

Fire Island Home · More Info

• Mandi Kotzian
    8 years ago

Move your furniture closer together (don't be afraid to go away from the wall) and get a larger rug with warm colors in it. :)

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

kellerr, if you start a new dilemma, then you won't be getting all these comments on the old one. All the comments on the new dilemma will pertain to your kitchen.