Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paninky

Tub/shower doors or shower curtain in a nice 1-bathroom remodel?

paninky
9 years ago
I have to have a tub (new and nice one, though) .Although the room is a decent size it's not large enough for separate tub and shower. Which would YOU prefer? Comments are definitely welcome! Is it primarily about safety, visual appeal, maintenance, age-in-place, kids etc. Please keep in mind - it'd be your ONLY bathroom in the home. thanks!
Tub/shower doors
Shower curtain
Other/comments

Comments (8)

• PRO
    VanGo Shower Glass
    9 years ago
    Hi Paninky - check out my post in design dilemmas about "rod thru glass" end panels. if you have children or mobility issues, definitely no doors. You may also be interested in a tub/ shower shield that opens up the space without limiting access - kind of a "best of both worlds" solution!
    paninky thanked VanGo Shower Glass
  • PRO
    Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
    9 years ago
    Post a picture of the tub.
  • PRO
    VanGo Shower Glass
    9 years ago
    Otherwise known as a Shower Diverter... the second & third pictures are what a hinged tub/shower shield should actually look like
  • paninky
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    There's no picture to post yet; work hasn't started . I've tentatively chosen a kohler archer tub. Vango Glass, my 86 yr old mom visits often for week at a time. I thought if she lost her balance a tub door might actually keep her from falling onto a tub edge or onto the floor. Of course, I'll have grab bars for her in the shower...but is my thinking off? In the event of a loss of balance would/could a door break or shatter and hurt her?
  • PRO
    VanGo Shower Glass
    9 years ago
    I make my living installing shower doors but I have to say that having full doors could be a hindrance, especially if something actually happened and you had to get her OUT of the tub. Even a quality installation isn't meant to be a support device (althugh please note of course all these panels are tempered safety glass). The partial options I posted may be a better option to still add that sparkle, or the glass end wall here.
  • PRO
    VanGo Shower Glass
    9 years ago
    Regarding safety, tempered glass breaks into small pieces (liked a broken car window) rather than in splinters. The weight of the glass would actually be the bigger concern. Ensure whatever you choose, quality solid brass hardware (in your chosen finish) is used. Best of luck.
  • paninky
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Murray at Vango Glass, you have been a terrific help. thank you so much! although I do love the look of the unframed shower doors (especially with a glassed third side-my very first 'love'), I don't think it makes sense for my home unless i take out the tub....which, itself, doesn't make sense for my home. Thanks again. Pamela DeCuir, I appreciated hearing that not all designers love doors.