backsplash is this look too busy?
jabx2
photos of my renovated kitchen. Love color but not too sure if these backsplashes are right? suggestions greatly appreciated
Shannon Ggem ASID
Can't see the images closely enough! But I can tell you that while the chevron is ADORABLE, I am worried about it's longevity. I'm all for risk, but just be prepared to replace in 6 or 7 years if you go that direction.
May 11, 2012 at 5:21PM     
colleenator
I see what you're attempting to achieve by introducing this backsplash. It obviously appeals to you so enhance it by changing the wall colour and compliment it with accessories. Enjoy! Who cares about whether someone else will like it. You like it and that's all that matters.
May 11, 2012 at 6:11PM     
Gary Porter
I think your instinct is correct. I can't tell what the countertops are, but the back-splashes you show don't seem to go. I'm all for the backsplash--just something more neutral. (You can add color with accent pieces.) The cabinets and exhaust hood look traditional. Perhaps a larger tile? Or, as Colleen says, simply paint it a nice glossy accent color.
May 11, 2012 at 6:47PM     
sharbaumer
these look like right style wrong color . How about gold cream and brown multi glass?
May 11, 2012 at 10:11PM   
Diann
i am not getting the back-splash in my mind . Doesn't seem to belong with your style of cabinets in my mind at least. My opinion is something that will add warmth to the rest of the kitchen . Can you add a closer pic of the back splash you have.
May 12, 2012 at 1:29AM     
inkwitch
Your light fixtures appear to be orange, from that 1 photo. Do they stay? And the countertop appears to be a natural "butterscotch" tone. Obviously you like the backsplash, so unless you're going for a natural/aqua/orange theme, the lights will be easier to change!

I agree with colleenator: if you like it, that's all that matters. Love aqua (my kitchen is aqua/white/earth tones) and the chevron is subtle but contemorary. Go for it!
May 12, 2012 at 4:15AM     
laurafbraun
It's gorgeous. Keep it!
May 12, 2012 at 5:49AM     
Judy
Here's what I'm doing to my new kitchen. The backsplash is light blue and light green, a seaglass look - with travertine stone. In person it is stunning!
May 12, 2012 at 5:49AM     
jabx2
Thank you all for your input it is greatly appreciated. I added a few more photos; I'm not the greatest camera gal yet either but working on it. Here is my floor up close with the two possible tiles.......still thinking about more neutral but love the way the blue and gray tie in my floor and cabinets. Love the subway tile but not the olive green. I thought the orange pendants helped to warm my kitchen with the wood top......obviously these are interchangeable. Also a pic of my granite which I love. It does also have lots of silver which this photo might not show :) You're all awesome for taking the time.
May 12, 2012 at 6:09AM   
jabx2
here is my granite top.
May 12, 2012 at 6:13AM   
Durpetti Interiors
I agree with Shannon, I love the chevron pattern! If you love it, go for it.
May 12, 2012 at 6:16AM   
laurafbraun
I like the group on the right, the one with the dark beige color in it, because while I like the gray group, I think the floor tile completely washes it out.
May 12, 2012 at 6:20AM   
jabx2
Thanks ! By the way not sure what the chevron pattern is??
May 12, 2012 at 6:23AM   
Durpetti Interiors
It is the blue-gray tile to the right in your original photos, like a zig zag. After seeing your flooring color, I like the coordination in color.
May 12, 2012 at 6:35AM     
skurland
The backsplash in all mosaic glass will look very busy with your floor and countertop.
Take the area right over your cooktop and put the glass mosaic there- from the hood
down to the counter and from cabinet to cabinet. Then use a 3x6 white glass tile or another color glass tile as the field - it will make your mosaic and cooktop look special
and the eye will have a place to rest. Look on tileamerica.com for ideas!!
May 12, 2012 at 7:01AM   
betsyweisberg
Let me suggest some totally different tiles.....
How about not trying to match the floor-
1.White beveled subway tile, it's beautiful and classic.
2. white glass tile, this would be beautiful in subway pattern
3.mini white subway tile, different and interesting yet classic

I think the multi color tiles may be too busy and read too dark in your beautiful kitchen.
This is a big decision and you don't want to be bummed next year and want to replace it.
May 12, 2012 at 8:04AM     
Gary Porter
I think...that not only should you consider the color, but also the number of different textures and patterns going on here. I'm afraid that if you add mosaic tile on top of the granite counter and the patterned stone floors it's going to start looking like a tile store--too much going on at once. But if you can't bear to part with your tiled backsplash, and it is your kitchen, I'd say the neutral squares are the better choice and would work better with your flooring. Maybe do the backsplash on the stove wall only, leaving the other wall alone? The brown/gray rectangles are a no go for me.
May 12, 2012 at 9:00AM     
DeWitt Architects
Although some like the pop of a strong loud backsplash, I am not a fan. I like the splashes that drop back in prominence to allow the cabinets and kitchen more depth. Often we don't even use tile, or not full tile, on the backsplash and just put full sheet of stainless behind the range. Maybe a 6" splash using your countertop granite and paint the wall. If you have extra paint of the yellow wall color you could always paint it as a test.
May 12, 2012 at 9:43AM     
greypuss
Don't think I'd like to see these chevorns with hangover, the morning after the night before. I'd soon be so fed up with them, I'd rip them out.
May 12, 2012 at 1:42PM   
jabx2
true they can be dizzying. I think I will look for something more serene and classic and add color with accents or kitchen decor. ITY all........I will keep you posted. :)
May 12, 2012 at 1:59PM   
shaweli
You have pattern on the floor that must be considered as well. The tiles appear too vibrant for the stark white cabinets. The running bond pattern would look best but perhaps in a more neutral tone.
May 12, 2012 at 3:13PM   
roseglow3
I tend to go with the simple, such as the suggestions for subway tiles...I think the busy backspalshs do not look well with traditional but that's me. I did a full granite backspalsh to match the counters and I love it...I have oak floors, my cabinets are two colors (honey and slightly off whilte, lots of granite (juparana millenium) which is a softer style....It made my kitchen look bigger and I can add pops of color and change them from time to time...

By a simple backsplash your floors will be more distinctive
May 13, 2012 at 1:02AM   
laurafbraun
I love the chevron. Don't forget that you won't even notice it after a while. It only looks too busy right now. That will change. Also, the backsplash is far away from the floor tile so as long as the colors don't clash you're good to go! Keep the chevron. It's gorgeous.
May 13, 2012 at 4:26AM   
melrhos
While white is a great accent for a neutral palette, like on the wood trims, I think the cabinets being white really contrast with your backsplash, counter & floor neutrals. Maybe choosing a warmer paint tone, such as a shade of or taupe or tan, could pull the whole look together for you. The color you choose would not have to be dark at all; I would look for a creamier shade that all three tiled areas have in common. I love the chevron pattern! A paint color alongside it whose tone is incorporated with it will make it pop while the cabinets serve as a calm background....after all, the focal point is the chevron, not the WHITE cabinets in this case....happy decorating!
May 13, 2012 at 7:23AM     
Chroma Design
The tile is great. But any of those will be visually "noisy" with that floor. Keep the tile, redo the floor. If that is not possible use a neutral field tile and use the mosaics as a listello or accent. The chevron would be hard to incorporate as a listello due to its pattern.
May 13, 2012 at 9:36AM   
marilynstorm
since you already have pattern in floor & granite--consider using ONE color of glass tile for your back splash; it shouldn't be too busy or clash with granite if there's one color w/same color grout & the glass tile has the advantage of reflecting light. I've seen single-color glass tile backsplashes in a lot of recent kitchen designs & they look fantastic
May 13, 2012 at 10:51AM   
marilynstorm
I didn't see the orange pendants as a problem. Sometimes we obsess too much about making things too "matchy-matchy" PLUS orange & blue are complentary colors so if they look good & you like them....why not keep them
May 13, 2012 at 10:55AM   
HI -- All the examples shown are too busy -- go with something classic and simple that is in the color tone and like material of the counter tops , then it will stand the test of time. Kitchen counters are busy places so having too much visual clutter gets dated very fast. You can add your extra color with your accesories.
May 13, 2012 at 11:06AM     
jesseyd
I am with Chroma Design.
May 13, 2012 at 4:45PM   
Need advice on bathroom remodel - using hardiebacker boards
Hey Guys, We are remodeling our bathroom and replacing...
how to upgrade an existing wrought iron stair railing?
i love wrought iron designs. is there a way i can...
50's bathroom demo
I'm planning on remodeling my 50's bathroom, I wish...
Recommendation for shower remodel project
Replacing enclosed tub 32x58x84 (in master bath upstairs)...
Add a sound proof door for a home business
I would so appreciate suggestions on the best door...