mold on ceiling

melinnbMay 13, 2012
Our house is 17 years old. Our bathroom has what looks like mold on the ceiling. I will be redoing our bathroom this summer and I want to treat the mold correctly so that it wont come back. I have heard of bleaching but thought a commercial treatment may be necessary. What do you think?
I think I've also seen bathroom paints with additives to prevent this, but I am not positive.
    Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 1:45PM
3D-Tile-Design - Bertram Tasch
Hello melinnb,

I assume your ceiling is a regular gypsum board covered by a layer of paint. If the mold is only a thin layer on the surface, you may be able to remove it properly. Especially when your ceiling is covered with a good paint.

However, mold is not like dust or dirt. It has a reason why it is on your ceiling. The most common reason is to much humidity and not enough air circulation over a longer period of time. It could be also caused by condensation water behind the ceiling panel e.g. from your vent pipe. In this case you have to remove the molded ceiling panel/board and replace it.

Very important is to figure out what exactly caused the mold to eliminate the source. If it is too much humidity and not enough air circulation, clean or replace your old ceiling fan. Install a countdown timer (http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/3/HouseHome/Lighting/ElectricalTimers/PRD~0528841P/Leviton+Digital+20A+Countdown+Timer.jsp?locale=en) and let the fan run at least 30 minutes every time after having a shower.

If it is condensed water from your vent pipe, wrap insulation around the pipe before you install the new ceiling panels.

Our advice: Use in your whole bathroom and especially on the ceiling a panel which will not accumulate any humidity. There are a couple different materials with this characteristic on the market. If you have further questions, do not hesitate to contact us. We will be glad to help you.

3D-Tile-Design.ca - Bertram Tasch - http://www.3D-Tile-design.ca
    Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 3:01PM
melinnb
Thank you so much! I am sure that it is from too much humidity and not enogh air circulation; we do have a fan and it does need cleaning - I will check into the timer. Thanks again and I will check the vent pipe as well.
    Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 6:22PM
3D-Tile-Design - Bertram Tasch
Here are two pictures where you can see a typical stain pattern caused by condensation water from a vent pipe.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 11:37AM
Trim color help needed on a 1920's house with 1970's trim :)
I have an old house that was built in 1925, but remodeled...
bataillm
Backsplash and countertop help
I would like to update the countertop and add a backsplash....
rr3k29
Build Online Store India
http://nationkart.com/online-store/
Mala Verma
Curtain help?
We have four large windows in our living room (ignore...
Megan Audet
Drape-gate
Due to a Houzz issue and amount of comments on the...
Stefanie
Sponsored Products
Halcyon 12-light Nickel Chandelier
Overstock.com
ELK Lighting Villa 1-Light Pendant - 8W in. - 10181/1AMB
$158.00 | Hayneedle
Hinkley Lighting Path & Landscape Lights Low Voltage 18-Watt Outdoor Bronze
Home Depot
Natural Rope Aged Bronze Six Light Chandelier
$698.00 | Bellacor
LBL Lighting | Scarlett Suspension Light
YLighting
Homelegance Orleans 9 Drawer 2 Door Dresser w/ Mirror in Rich Cherry
Beyond Stores