mold on ceiling

melinnbMay 13, 2012
Our house is 17 years old. Our bathroom has what looks like mold on the ceiling. I will be redoing our bathroom this summer and I want to treat the mold correctly so that it wont come back. I have heard of bleaching but thought a commercial treatment may be necessary. What do you think?
I think I've also seen bathroom paints with additives to prevent this, but I am not positive.
    Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 1:45PM
3D-Tile-Design - Bertram Tasch
Hello melinnb,

I assume your ceiling is a regular gypsum board covered by a layer of paint. If the mold is only a thin layer on the surface, you may be able to remove it properly. Especially when your ceiling is covered with a good paint.

However, mold is not like dust or dirt. It has a reason why it is on your ceiling. The most common reason is to much humidity and not enough air circulation over a longer period of time. It could be also caused by condensation water behind the ceiling panel e.g. from your vent pipe. In this case you have to remove the molded ceiling panel/board and replace it.

Very important is to figure out what exactly caused the mold to eliminate the source. If it is too much humidity and not enough air circulation, clean or replace your old ceiling fan. Install a countdown timer (http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/3/HouseHome/Lighting/ElectricalTimers/PRD~0528841P/Leviton+Digital+20A+Countdown+Timer.jsp?locale=en) and let the fan run at least 30 minutes every time after having a shower.

If it is condensed water from your vent pipe, wrap insulation around the pipe before you install the new ceiling panels.

Our advice: Use in your whole bathroom and especially on the ceiling a panel which will not accumulate any humidity. There are a couple different materials with this characteristic on the market. If you have further questions, do not hesitate to contact us. We will be glad to help you.

3D-Tile-Design.ca - Bertram Tasch - http://www.3D-Tile-design.ca
    Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 3:01PM
melinnb
Thank you so much! I am sure that it is from too much humidity and not enogh air circulation; we do have a fan and it does need cleaning - I will check into the timer. Thanks again and I will check the vent pipe as well.
    Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 6:22PM
3D-Tile-Design - Bertram Tasch
Here are two pictures where you can see a typical stain pattern caused by condensation water from a vent pipe.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 11:37AM
Molding for ceiling
Hi. Can you tell me what type of molding you have and...
elishevavanunu
Painting molding at ceiling
What color do u paint moldings
epowderl
What color is the crown molding and ceiling? Thank you.
This room is my absolutely favorite in all of Houzz...
sandiplaces
What is my Exterior Personality Compiment in Shutters !!!??
What to paint a home in SW6193 .. darker gr. contrast...
drumgoff
Bedroom/Bathroom Redecorate ideas Needed!
Need to paint bedroom and bathroom....want to use leopard...
maryb56
Pro photos taken of our kitchen.
In the running for Subzero Wolf Kitchen of the year...
pamgiovatto
Fire place tile
Ideas /suggestions for painting ceramic tile around...
Stacy Gainey
Need ideas for furniture arranging and accessories
Living room needs help. looking forward to your suggestions...
Rhonda