Alternative to vertical blinds for my sliding glass door out to my deck
tom1050
May 20, 2012
need an alternative to vertical blinds for my sliding glass door . I have 2 young boys that like to destroy things so it needs to hold up. I was wondering if I could make a sliding panels maybe out of wood . would greatly apperciate some ideas for this . Thank you.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Sheila's Window Toppers & More Ltd
Poly-Satin Shutters done as bi-fold doors work well and are very durable.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 20, 2012 at 5:38PM
PRO
karen paul interiors
Hunter Douglas mini blinds are the absolute answer. You can pull them up during the day and have a complete view. You can close them at night. The dogs, cats and children can run in and out all day long and never hurt a thing, because you will have pulled them up out of harm's way. There are so many colors and varieties. Personally for a contemporary (or Deco) look, I have found the silver metal finish to be beautiful day and night. I like how they create shadows with light in their vicinity. I've had the bi-fold doors and they were beautiful. However, if you have kids, even though you have folded them back it only takes one wayward child or toy to do some damage.
    Bookmark   May 20, 2012 at 6:01PM
PRO
Sheila's Window Toppers & More Ltd
I would have to disagree with you that a child or toy would damage a poly-satin shutter, that is why I recommended them. Poly-Satin Shutters are made from an exterior grade vinyl and are extremely durable, they are not wood. I have had them in my home for 17 years, through children, three bassett hound dogs and now grandchildren. You can just wipe then clean and they stand up to alot. If a blade does get damaged (from a dog chewing it) a new one can be ordered and installed.
My opinion on mini blinds, thay are made of aluminum and bend easy. On a patio door when you lift them you have long cords dangling on the floor, which is not child or pet safe. Aluminum gets bent and damaged very easily and you may have to replace the blinds within a short period of time. We specialize in window coverings and sell very few mini blinds, only a few times a year as most people prefer a wider look in a horizontal product. Something else to consider on a patio door is R-Value. Aluminum offers no R-value for a patio door where a Poly-Satin shutter has a high R-Value because of the way that the blades are constructed.
Another product that you may consider is a Hunter Douglas Skyline Panel track in a fabric that can be cleaned with damp cloth like some of the vinyls with fiberglass. The panel track stacks to the side, a good option for patio doors. You may also like the Traversed Vignette Vertiglide by Hunter Douglas in some of the Grassland fabrics. This product also slides to the side and has a fairly small stack back.
    Bookmark   May 20, 2012 at 6:39PM
michigammemom
You might consider the Ado wrap system where traditional vertical blinds are sheathed in removable and machine washable fabric. You have the appearance of a semi-sheer drapery and the light blocking capability of a vertical blind. http://ado.mojoe.net/ADOwrap.aspx
    Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 5:10AM
PRO
karen paul interiors
I'm still in the camp of mini blinds. You pull them up and they are out of the way from young fingers. The cords are easily lifted off the ground. You can loop them in the blinds if need be. They don't bend if they are out of harm's way. The only caveat is to buy the best quality available. The bargain blinds are no bargain.
    Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 5:40PM
Cait
Have you thought about panels?? I know Levelor has a new panel track system. The great thing is, is that you can just velcro off the panels to either hose them down when they get dirty and sticky (I know, I have 2 toddlers), or you can just replace the panels without replacing the whole system if one of the monekys wreaks it!

And they have some nice natural looking fabrics - like grasscloth or bamboo. You mentioned you were thinking wood?!?!
http://www.levolor.ca/products/panel-track/colors.php

Mini blinds are a pain to pull up and down all day.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 6:15PM
PRO
Mona Ives
Sliding woven wood or solar panels - or the most basic answer - drapes on a traverse rod.
    Bookmark   May 23, 2012 at 2:56PM
PRO
Mona Ives
Oh and some of the solar shade panels that slide are made of fiberglass and are pretty darn durable - and you can wash them with water.
    Bookmark   May 23, 2012 at 2:57PM