Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smudge2011

Help with final details for master bedroom, please.

smudge2011
9 years ago
We have almost completed our master bedroom and ensuite. We both love the coastal feel as it reminds us of our honeymoon in Cape Cod, 37 years ago. I guess I am running out of steam after the total gut job and redo. I have two questions that I would like help with.

My husband uses a CPAP at night to reduce his sleep apnea, however the machine is always on view. I am looking for suggestions to hide it while still maintaining its ability to function every night. It is the black box sitting on top of the dresser with the painting above it.

My second question is a suggestion for the empty space. A chair would be nice, but I haven't seen one that would fit in with the coastal feel.

Thank you for any help.

Comments (19)

• Maureen
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Just place the machine in a low wicker basket (which will suit your decor and decorate around it to make it feel part of group) and you'll then only see the cord. I might lower your picture just a bit. How about a bench under the window and just add a Cape Cod print on the wall to the left. Or you could purchase a set of prints and place on each side of the bed (low) and move the picture you have to the other wall. [houzz=
    Master Bedroom · More Info
    ]; [houzz=
    Guest Bedroom 1 · More Info
    ]; houzz=
    Powell Turino Dining Bench, Gray Oak · More Info
    ]
  • Depo
    9 years ago
    My husband places his on the floor between the bed and nightstand. I usually put the hose and mask behind the pillows when I make the bed so you can't see them.
  • Geneviève
    9 years ago
    Another idea would be o purchase a privacy screen and keep the machine behind it

6' Tall Double Sided Lighthouses Canvas Room Divider · More Info
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    I have no idea how these machines even work or what all is needed, but placing it under the bed during the day? Does that work at all?
  • smudge2011
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    A CPAP machine is a piece of medical equipment that provides air pressure to keep the windpipe open during sleep. It should be elevated off the floor so that it doesn't suck dust into it. The basket on casters that was suggested previously looks like a possibility. A lidded basket on the dresser top was another thought that I had. Just was wondering how others have solved this little problem.

There is enough room for a chair in the corner. The picture doesn't show it well, but there is 30 inches from the door frame to the ensuite to the corner. I had a chair there before, but it doesn't fit in with the new decor, dark wood frame and not worth redoing.
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    Thanks for the info and had no idea it was sensitive to dust. Makes sense.
  • Depo
    9 years ago
    The dust is not a problem if you change the filters regularly.
  • smudge2011
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Filter is changed regularly. It was the doctor's and the manufacture's advice that the machine was not placed on the floor. Isn't aging fun! All these new things to learn about.
  • Depo
    9 years ago
    Lol smudge! My husband has been on CPAP for 14 years and it really has never presented a problem with his being on the floor, but if you don't want to try that, I totally understand. I guess the question now is, do you really want a giant basket on the nightstand? LB, a pro on Houzz once posted a little screen she made hinging two or three picture frames together to hide her sewing machine. Maybe you could try something like that?
  • PRO
    Gray & Walter, Ltd.
    9 years ago
    Can you put the machine in the top drawer, just a thought. How about a spindle lounge chair to complete the room, you can add a matching ottoman if room allows.
  • PRO
    ACT ONE DESIGNS
    9 years ago
    If you can't store it in your dresser, I suggest storing it in a bed bench.
    Threshold End of Bed Bench with Casters, Pewter · More Info
  • smudge2011
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Great comments! I never thought about drilling through the back of the dresser to provide power. The dresser was a new purchase, and expensive so must think about this clearly. These type of issues will become more prevalent as we all age.
  • PRO
    Paula Madrid Interiors
    9 years ago
    I agree with the idea of drilling a hole in the dresser in the back if you can as it is the best possible solution unless you are willing to put a basket in between the bed and the dresser. I hope it works out :)

Regarding the chair, I think this one would go really well with your decor.
    Coastal Living Resort By The Bay Host Chair, Weathered Pier Finish · More Info

less expensive options include the Beaumont Taupe linen arm chair in overstock.com
  • smudge2011
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you Despo, I appreciate the understanding.
  • mcbmd3
    9 years ago
    Unless it bothers you to see it, I would leave it where it is and hide it when entertaining. I love the look of your room.
  • PRO
    Ward Designs
    9 years ago
    My husband keeps his in the drawer and we didn't have to drill a hole. There is usually space between the back of the drawer and the back of the table. We just pulled the cord through that space and plugged it in. No more unsightly CPAP.
    As for the empty corner space - if you put a chair there, you know it will end up being a large expensive hanger for clothes. I'd go with a simple round table and place some books and a few "coastal looking" items on it.
  • smudge2011
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you, mdcmd3. A chair is needed. We both need to sit to be able to put on socks, etc. and our bed is too high.
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    I like the idea of a bench that fits right there and guess there are some that size. Put a nice tall canvas over it and it will be a cozy corner. I think a chair makes sense if you sit and read there, but for shoes and socks, I love a bench. You can put a throw over a corner of it, too, or your pillows at the end of the day.