Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pnewell13

Should I paint my large fireplace wall(s)?

pnewell13
9 years ago
Is this look outdated? What's your advice?

Comments (53)

• pnewell13
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you Patricia. I appreciate your opinion.
  • PRO
    Mission West Kitchen and Bath
    9 years ago
    I do like how your fireplace is. I feel it's better if you repaint the walls and the mantle. Maybe also change the fireplace screen or just repaint it.
    pnewell13 thanked Mission West Kitchen and Bath
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    i guess im not sure what those lights are doing...the FP is lovely i wouldn't touch it.
    pnewell13 thanked flair lighting
  • pnewell13
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you FL. The lights came with the house. I don't like them but they do light up the room. My other lighting...a ceiling fan and 3 table lamps.
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    well if you have a fan up there you have power...i would consider new lighting plan in the future :) for your question l like the FP get a large vertical piece of art. and limit the decor.
    pnewell13 thanked flair lighting
  • User
    9 years ago
    I painted the brick in my old home and loved the look, too. Although, I must say, I really like your brick. It's beautiful and light, so it would be a hard decision for me. I would change the fireplace screen and maybe paint the mantel. Good luck.
    pnewell13 thanked User
  • pnewell13
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Great comments...I love them. "paint the mantel.". What color?
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    I think it looks very nice as is. :)
    pnewell13 thanked zazfuzzroc
  • justinalexx
    9 years ago
    I think it looks great! One thing you might want change is all the white accessories around it. Something with more contrast would probably make it pop more. But, if you live painted brick then paint the brick! Your the one that has to look at it everyday. Who cares if it's on trend.
    pnewell13 thanked justinalexx
  • halfpint2
    9 years ago
    I like the color of the fireplace.
    pnewell13 thanked halfpint2
  • logg
    9 years ago
    I think the color of the bricks is very nice...go for different bright wall color.
    pnewell13 thanked logg
  • User
    9 years ago
    Would love to see a picture of the room from the back of the room, so I could see the mantle head-on.
    Anyway, I came across some pictures that I thought might help. I agree with leelee-that you might want to change up the accessories on the mantle and maybe place a tall mirror over the mantle-something that will not take away from the beautiful brick, but just reflects light and has some presence. I think your accessories could be making the room look dated; not the brick. Look at current pictures on Houzz on how to accessorize mantles. Your brick is beautiful and in southern states, it's timeless. Good luck!
    pnewell13 thanked User
  • delyanks
    9 years ago
    Is that a traditional fireplace? The reason I ask is because it looks like a cleanout of some sort on the side. I like the brick.
    pnewell13 thanked delyanks
  • PRO
    Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
    9 years ago
    I love the brick and would not paint it. It is charming...leave it alone!
    pnewell13 thanked Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
  • leelee
    9 years ago
    Everything around the fireplace and in the other part of the room look too symmetrical. Two of this and two of that. Symmetry is good but it should be done in an interesting way.

Replace the mantel with one more substantial looking. Yours is too small for all the brick. Use light weathered wood to match the light brick. This is the best picture I could find even though it's used as a headboard.
    pnewell13 thanked leelee
  • pnewell13
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Really great ideas. Leelee and Karen Dumont especially, thank you for photos.
  • User
    9 years ago
    Yes, I agree with Leelee. Try replacing the mantle to something more substantial-one that is larger as in the pics posted by leelee and myself. Can't stress enough how beautiful the brick is.
    pnewell13 thanked User
  • Michael Joynt
    9 years ago
    I would rerock it and use a different color
    pnewell13 thanked Michael Joynt
  • pnewell13
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Wouldn't that be nice. However, that's definitely not in the budget.
  • Michael Joynt
    9 years ago
    sorry, then paint it some color to match something else in that room
  • pnewell13
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Ok, I got my husband to hang a large mirror over the mantel. With your suggestions, I've decided to leave the brick alone... :)

As requested, I'm attaching a view from the back of the room. Am I doing better. (got to use what I have).
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    I understand that and your room is nice. Can't wait to see pictures. :)
  • Craig CraigMDesigns
    9 years ago
    The brick is adding important texture to the room and is a great color. That track looking lighting should be replaced with some half bowl type sconces that uplight. The fireplace is not the problem in this room and the brick looks like it suits your style. I would make other changes like a rug or accessories etc.
    pnewell13 thanked Craig CraigMDesigns
  • pnewell13
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks again for your ideas!
  • pnewell13
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Craig, I've been hoping someone would offer a replacement suggestion for the ugly track lighting. Thanks!
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    That looks nice. I'm wondering... it looks like you have a lot of height in the room? Maybe standing it the long way for more height? Just a thought. :)
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    I agree, the lighting is the issue, not the FP. However, I would darken the accessories around it, including the mirror which should hang vertically so it stays within the visual footprint of the firebox below and will double the reflection of a grand chandelier in place of the fan.
    pnewell13 thanked decoenthusiaste
  • pnewell13
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Asked my husband to hang it vertically, but he wasn't willing to go that high and place another hole in the mortar.
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    Oh sorry, I thought it was just leaning. Hard to tell in the photo. :)
    pnewell13 thanked zazfuzzroc
  • pnewell13
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Added dark accessories... Will buy pillar candles and paint screen black.
  • sandradclark
    9 years ago
    Flip at least 1/2 of your track lights upward to show off the beautiful wooden beams.
    pnewell13 thanked sandradclark
  • hgpzc
    9 years ago
    I would leave the brick alone, update the room and get rid of those lights.. Recessed lighting is what u need in that room!
  • pnewell13
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Love this idea!! Will do.
  • hgpzc
    9 years ago
    However I do realize everything is expensive and I just realized you had vaulted ceilings.. The sconces would be a great addition;)
    pnewell13 thanked hgpzc
  • Michael Joynt
    9 years ago
    Or use a modern stack stone on it.
    pnewell13 thanked Michael Joynt
  • Lynnie
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Without reading every single comment, I do want to add that I think your color of washed out brick is beautiful and modern.

As far as the wall color, I would change it for sure. Now I am seeing your other pictures with different angles so even more see I see your need for color and decor in other aspects of the room. I "liked" a couple of your comments as well.

Even two different colored walls can dress up the fireplace and the whole area. Below are some ideas.

Hammett · More Info

Ranch to Rustic · More Info

Wicker Park Renovation 1 · More Info
  • User
    9 years ago
    Now that I'm seeing the room from another angle, I agree with Lynnie that you should consider changing the wall color. Your ceilings are high, so I think it would warm up the space. Also, consider changing the fireplace screen and updating the lamps. If it's in your budget, it would me nice to change the ceiling fan to a chandelier. Your bricks are beautiful!
    pnewell13 thanked User
  • pnewell13
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Good stuff. I've been thinking chandelier too. Someday...
  • pnewell13
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Several years ago I painted the foyer and into the dinning room a burnt orange. Not sure why I went all neutral.
  • User
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    The mirror looks nice. You could probably just lean it on the mantel vertically. Do you even need the screen? Is that a working fireplace? If not, you probably don't need it. Have fun with the accessories-it all takes time :-)
    pnewell13 thanked User
  • foci88
    9 years ago
    If you leave the white accents around the fireplace then it would look best to paint the dark brown beams on the ceiling white as well. Replace the long outdated light fixtures on either side of the fireplace. Keep the brick fireplace as is but pull a neutral color out of the brick & paint the entire room in that color. Some unique tall groupings of candle holders & candles would look great on the mantle and give height to go with the height of the brick wall above the fireplace to the ceiling.
    pnewell13 thanked foci88
  • sandradclark
    9 years ago
    Please don't decide to paint the brick. Lean the mirror on the mantle the other direction. Get rid od some of the white in the room. Change out the ceiling fan for a chandelier. Maybe a rustic one made of iron with candle lighting. Would enhance your rustic beams. I agree with changing out your mantle with a heavier unpainted recycled wood to further enhance the beams in your rooms.
    pnewell13 thanked sandradclark
  • pnewell13
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I'm not painting the brick. I'm happy to say I got my husband to hang the mirror lengthwise and about 5 inches off the mantel. I agree a chandelier would look great, but it's a someday thing. Thanks for your suggestions.
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    That's great! Enjoy that great room. :)
  • Maggie Andersen
    9 years ago
    I would not paint that brick. I think it is beautiful.
  • dovacain
    9 years ago
    I wouldn't paint the brick. It looks great the way it is. I would paint the walls a color if you were looking for contrast.
  • kpappal
    9 years ago
    I think painting the mantel and fireplace screen black would provide some much needed contrast, and tie the fireplace in with the beams on the ceiling. You could also paint the frame of the mirror black. I agree it would look better turned the other direction - maybe you could find a friend who is willing to help you hang it higher? I also think some color on the walls and in accessories would make the room more interesting and inviting. You have a beautiful room!
  • wantsideas
    9 years ago
    I like your brick so I'm glad you decided not to paint it. Agree with others about the lights. Congrats on getting your husband to hand the mirror how you wanted!
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    you can achieve better lighting, if that track was on the ceiling actually aiming at the fire place, and the rest of the room, and also having a chandelier for more dramatic lighting.