Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mbiber

Need help with my kitchen backsplash

mbiber
11 years ago
I have espresso cabinets and a neutral color yet busy granite island and countertops. I want to add a glass backsplash stack pattern to it and was considering a cool color such as aqua, turqoise, arctic, or teal that would give contrast and add color to the kitchen. Would that look OK or what would you recommend? See attached photo of my kitchen.

Comments (29)

• feeny
    11 years ago
    I think cool colors like aqua would be lovely, but I'm worried that your granite counters already have a small backsplash and I'm not sure how a different color will look starting part way up the wall on top of that. I'd be tempted to take off the 6" backsplash (but keep the counters), and then add the tile backsplash going from counter to cabinets.
  • mbiber
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @feeny: Thanks for the advice. Arizona Tile said the same thing but also said it is very risky to remove the 6" backsplash as it may chip/break the main countertop and they're not going to be liable. I guess I may have to get a neutral tan/beige earthy color that would go well with the countertop color.
  • dchartley
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    The 6" granite backsplash has to go if you want to avoid the kitchen looking short and squat with all the stacked horizontal layers...i.e. a line of dark cabinets, followed by a stripe of glass tiles, followed by a granite stripe of the existing backsplash, countertop etc. While there is some risk of damaging the counter granite in a careful, controlled removal process, the results of glass tile from counter to cabinet will be well worth the gamble. (I've lifted and detached an 8' x 4' counter slab, sliced it lengthwise, and reattached the pieces in a staggered height with no problems, despite lots of disclaimers by the granite installers.) Chose your glass tile color carefully, as glass in shadow (underneath a cabinet) changes color dramatically from the same sample with either LED or incandescent light. Mixing cool blues with the brown granite would be gorgeous...but so, too would be a monochromatic look keeping in the sand beige family. To that end, Ann Sacks Tile has a "sand" color that comes in assorted sizes which you can use in a straight set.
  • PRO
    Patricia Keating
    11 years ago
    Hi,

I agree with previous comments about upstand removal and going for the sand splashback tile. May I suggest bringing in the lovely aqua or teal hue in the blind/shade fabric? It would really bring the space to life!
  • dlang
    11 years ago
    I also agree, here's an example of a costly mistake. I have dark granite and light cabinets and the one small tile sample I selected was very close to the cabinet color but all the others were grayish. The glass tile sample was a lighter celery green then when installed it turned olive! Way too choppy, I hate the whole look but fear the damage it will cause by removing it.
  • inkwitch
    11 years ago
    I sympathize with your dilemma. If you are stuck with the granite backsplash, consider a glass backsplash that integrates some copper and other earth tones. There are websites where you can "build" your own backsplash colors. If you aren't adverse to a stripe instead of a random splattering of colors, you could create one with bands of colors going from light to dark in either direction. No more than 3 colors, but you have to like stripes as that is what you will end up with.

There are some earth-tone backsplashes that are so gorgeous, I'd almost alter my whole color scheme to have one! YOu don't have to settle for "beige."
  • PRO
    Marcia Moore Design
    11 years ago
    If you are afraid to tackle the granite removal, then you need to use a tile, stone or glass that is very similar in color to the existing granite to avoid the choppy look. Maybe rather than all glass choose a neutral stone and use glass as accent pieces set with the stone.
  • dlang
    11 years ago
    I think the glass accent is part of the problem, I'd rather just use a single tone, and the stone made it look like brick when it was supposed to be subway
  • Thuy
    11 years ago
    I agree with Marie's idea about the vertical height. Also you could have neutral beige glass or tiles that are are glossy/shiny rather than matt, to give the neutralness more life. If you want to brighten up the kitchen, accessorise with simple and bold aqua pieces, eg. Vase or bowl, tea towels, place mats. Just don't clutter! Good luck :)
  • rkmom
    11 years ago
    I think glass mosaic with granite is often way too busy, and more horizontal lines are going to be too much. If you really want colored glass, something simple like this (
    Waikiki Chic 2 · More Info
    ) might work, but you don't have a lot of space between the backsplash and the cabinets. Otherwise I think a neutral tile of some sort would be better--you could have it installed vertically or on the diagonal to add some interest and break up the horizontal lines. For example,
    Gorgeous Kitchen Remodel · More Info
  • butchicles
    11 years ago
    how about stainless steel or smoky mirrors? simple and not challenging to the granite or small space available.
  • modeskixx
    11 years ago
    My suggestion would be to not risk removing the back, but rather make the rest of your backsplash in same granite. Put a stainless edge on top of what you have now, and get either a mosaic pattern or rectangle pattern tile made form the same granite.You do not seem to have lots of square footage, so cost would not be crazy, and look would be both rich & classic.
  • glorfred
    11 years ago
    One more idea. I had a similar dilemma when I remodeled my kitchen. I looked around for a long time and wasn't really sold on anything I saw. In the end, I installed mirror, and I love it! It is bright, and it opens up the space under the cabinets. Also, it is a breeze to keep clean, especially behind the cooktop area. Keep in mind that glass comes in all shades and colors, and when custom cut, it is seamless.
  • paulineledao
    11 years ago
    I think the granite backsplash looks good just as it is with the wall painted white. It has a clean look to it. I feel introducing another media with the patterned granite would be a costly mistake. Leave it as is......
  • PRO
    Andrea Colburn
    11 years ago
    I would do stainless steel backsplash.
  • Colleen
    11 years ago
    Actually a mirrored backsplash is modern, relatively inexpensive and looks terrific!
  • PRO
    David Landy ASID CID NY State
    11 years ago
    you should be able to remove the granite back splash with no problem... Just call the company who put it in and find out if it was siliconed into place... If so, with an extendable razor blade (available everywhere) you slice under the back splash to cut the connection.... do the same at the top where it meets the wall.... then you will be able to remove it with no damage....If it was cemented with say a Laticrete thinset, then that is going to be a job....Still follow the same procedure but use a VIBRATING CUT OFF TOOL such as a Bosch or Dremel or Fein with a flat scraping blade.... This will aggressively remove the adhesive or cement.... There is no pounding and thus no damage..... Whew !!!!

Now for the tile - Use an iridescent glass - 1" x 4" laid up in sheets, running bond pattern (look it up) .... This should cost you approx $17 - $28 per sq ft... The iridescent color will add zing to this mundane dark look....

the tile I describe in a different color can be seen at www.davidlandyinteriors.com
    Good luck....
    David Landy ASID CID
    Past Pres. ASID NY Metro
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Here is an image for you to see the scale that is appropriate.... I agree the backsplash of granite needs to be removed... It is time to "professionalize" this kitchen....
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Opps - here is the closeup I forgot to include !!!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    This tile has other colorways that are appropriate for you... this green / blue / off white is NOT the color for your kitchen - the scale and type are perfect.... Just select the right brown tones from the VIHARA COLLECTION - SONOMA TILE
  • PRO
    Lyn Ross Interior Design/One Source Interiors
    11 years ago
    Wow so many comments, I actually agree with many. A professional granite installer should be able to remove that granite backsplash. I suggest a glass mosaic tile splash which will bring some life to the back wall and not clash with your granite. With some under cabinet lighting it will really make the glass tile "pop". If you just do not want to remove the granite backsplash then build the glass mosaic on top of it bringing it flush with the granite.
  • Jackie Nierman
    11 years ago
    Keep the backsplash if you want, then a row of mirror or clear glass tile, then the top row touching under the cabinets can be aqua-shade that you like. The aqua will look best next to the dark cabinets than next to the grayish granite. And incorporate aqua in accessories too. (I love beiges, but I don't think they would do any justice to your kitchen at all.)
  • Tracey Conwell
    11 years ago
    what about these colors? oops cant paste the photo on ipad. well looks like your backsplash slab goes back behind the counter. seems hard for a DIY project. try alternating squares of porcelain tile in ebony with reflective silver/pewter finish tile. this kind of look might work , incorporates the reflective quality of steel or mirror and repeats dark cabinets.
  • astroboy108
    11 years ago
    Absolutely remove the granite backsplash. This will make your counters and island top strictly horizontal planes, which will strengthen the horizontal lines of the cabinets. To balance it out, extend the wallsplash all the way up to the ceiling and above the wall cabinets, not just from the bottom of the wall cabinets down to the granite counter.

Use rectangular tiles and place them vertically to gain height. Treat it as a WALL application, which will balance all the horizontal planes and create uniformity and balance to the entire room. Your choice of wall tiles should stay in a balanced mix of very light creams, off-whites and whites.

Whites might sound boring, but the finish of the tiles (iridesent, opalescent) is what will really make the wall and your kitchen pop. Too much color on the wall will fight all the other color in the room and will lack cohesion. Basically, you want to create a neutral canvas so that you can add color(s) you love with the accessories you fill your kitchen with. Have fun!
  • Angela Sargenti
    11 years ago
    You should get some of those tiles with fossils in them. They don't all need to have one, just have them scattered around. http://www.greenriverstone.com/products/tile-selection/centerpiece/?f=combo
  • drewdot
    11 years ago
    I think you should consider natural stone to bring down the contrast. Check out Walker Zanger Shabui....it's my go-to stone for backsplashes and fireplaces.
  • PRO
    The Kitchen Company
    11 years ago
    If you can't/don't want to remove the back splash you can use back painted large sheets of glass in a color harmonious to the granite. Do not try a contrasting color because it will look choppy and loose its "modern" feel.
  • dipasapre
    11 years ago
    What did you end up going with? I am going through the same dilemma but have the granite on our wall already removed; finding a matching backsplash is my issue!