Need help with curb appeal
tmcorkum
Built in the 60s and I think it shows but not in a good way. The siding is stained beyond repair so we're thinking of putting grey stained cedar shakes on the front and removing the stone. There's a nice flower box beneath the windows on the left which is being eaten/hidden by the bushes.

Driveway will be paved next year and the steps need to be stained something - not sure what. Windows and front door are new. What would you do to add some much needed curb appeal to this home? Any and all responses are greatly appreciated! Thanking you in advance.
HI -- This house can be done up to be so cute. Adding the cedar shake is a good idea. I think I would leave the stone on the front ( your choice ) and replace the old siding with the cedar shakes , but I would have them in sealed natural with white corner boards and trim. Then paint the garage door and shutters in a cedar color brown and add a bright color to the front door in green or red. Add a white pergola over a porch deck floor from the front door to the garage. Have a curvy walkway to the front door surrounded with flowers and add to your landscaping. I assume your removing the junipers under the front windows . Looks like your front yard needs to be graded - I think the driveway is up too high and looks like some trees had been removed.
May 21, 2012 at 4:17pm     
houssaon
I would take a look at Hardie board for lap siding and shakes. See: http://www.jameshardie.com/homeowner/siding.shtml They have a great selection of materials that can transform the look of a home.

Right now your house is almost divided in threes. You could change it so the ground floor is all clapboard and the dormer is shakes. I think it would be better if there was not so much of a contrast between the roof and the siding, too. This is a soft Boothbay Blue color of Hardie siding that would look good with your roof: Peter Dorcas

This is another look for your home: 22091 Majestic Exterior If there is not too much blue in the roof, do the dormer in Khaki Brown shakes and the ground floor in Timber Bark in lap siding. Otherwise, do the ground floor in Evening Blue.

I think it would also help to reduce the amount of driveway you have. It should be as wide as the garage door. If you want it wider, how about edging it in brick?

Also, I would paint the frame around the window in the door, that same color as the door. I think it takes away from the door to see that white box.
Last, but not least, update the landscaping.
May 21, 2012 at 4:29pm     
adelejuiamorris
I would remove the shrubs and add some graceful, curving landscaping to the front and add a meandering stone path to driveway.
The door looks o.k. painted one color but to add some charm, a mahogany or cherry door could be a focal point. Remove the mailbox which is beside the door.
Window boxes with a contemporary mix could echo your new landscaping.
I would agree with another adviser that the house should be all one color with no stone.
Someday add cedar shakes to the roof for more charm.
Have fun!
May 21, 2012 at 5:48pm     
Manon Floreat
This is a really cute house. I like the idea of cedar shake, too. You could shake the dormer and use wood siding for the rest. I think a flower box for the upper window would add even more charm. And maybe some black shutters.

I think the wood landing could be extended to the left of the house. Various plantings could go before it. Attached is a mock up of some of the ideas. Hope you post pictures of your progress.
May 21, 2012 at 10:31pm     
ourfarmhouse
Landscaping________________________________________________

1. Graceful curves and grass "mortar" make the meandering flagstone pathway softer and more inviting.

2. Plantings are low-maintenance bushes and have a brown tire mulch base. They are lush and green (not flowery) to help this house feel a bit more like a fairytale cottage. The key word is "non-fussy". The landscaping then curves around the side of the house. Window boxes are foregone to let the rest of the landscaping and the architecture shine.

3. A flair at the end of the cobble paver driveway complements the curve of the sidewalk and softens an otherwise foreboding piece of hardscape. A pea gravel (or exposed aggregate cement pad) insert sets it off.

House_____________________________________________________

1. A horizontal stone band runs up to the base of the windows and frames the garage. With the added depth of the stone, the garage and band add dimension to the house.

2. The rest of the first floor is clad in a creamy-butter-colored lap siding.

3. The dormer gets the shingle treatment and is stained gray to complement the stone.

4. Roofing facia gets wider and grills are added to the windows.

5. Garage gets a wooden carriage house door with windows.

6. All trim is a crisp white and the door is a burnt cranberry red

Second version_____________________________________________

Same as above, but with a standing seam copper roof accent and eyebrow window, just above the garage, to add texture and more architectural interest.

What a cute little house!

...for reference...

May 22, 2012 at 2:58am     
tmcorkum
I have to say I am overwhelmed with all of your amazing ideas. You guys have helped me to look at things in a way I would never have thought of. Seriously I am blown away.

I have to keep the metal roof because I can't justify the cost of replacement and the door was just sprayed charcoal so I'll have to work around that (will likely paint out the white though as per houssoan's notes). This will be a slow moving work in progress on a tight budget but I will be posting pics as I go. I'll probably enlist your help on the interior as well :)
May 22, 2012 at 4:54am     
tmcorkum
and what software are you using to create these mockups? they're incredible
May 22, 2012 at 5:00am   
ourfarmhouse
Thanks. The software is Photoshop. Good luck on your projects. What fun!
May 22, 2012 at 8:51pm     
turnerc3
tm,
ourfarmhouse had provided an awesome PLAN for you. ...just take one step at a time and you will have a lovely home.
Would love to see photos as you progress.
August 4, 2012 at 4:13pm   
Need help with color of house & trim, need CURB APPEAL!
Front door has been changed to dark walnut woodgrain...
Need some help with curb appeal!!! HELP
We are putting new siding,windows and doors in our...
Cabinet Hardware
Knobs or pulls? I'm stuck what to choose. The kitchen...
How can I separate my bed from my living room in a studio?
I just moved into a studio apartment. My bed fits pretty...
Ugly bed dilemma
My in-laws gave us their old bed frame to use in our...
Wife Wants These Colors! Please Help
Hey All, my wife wants to paint a babies room neutral...
i need help to design my exterior
I want a greek look for my exterior i took the audacity...