Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
salmon143

Can this room be salvaged?

salmon143
9 years ago
I love the large individual pieces (except the small table in corner and ottoman), but the combination is sadly lacking. I am concerned that there is too many colors competing for dominance - blue, red and green. I am planning to add drapes and am afraid what color to make them (thinking taupe with a blue grosgrain leading edge), but there is still something wrong. I really struggle with "layering" - I get the bones of a room and then get stuck on accessorizing etc. Any suggestions?

Comments (22)

• Brandi Nash Hicks
    9 years ago
    Fabric on furniture looks dated ,maybe new fabric could pull the room together...try neutrals with pop so yellow it goes week with navy
    salmon143 thanked Brandi Nash Hicks
  • PRO
    Julia & Elizabeth
    9 years ago
    I would replace the lamp with a table (with a lamp) and replace the ottoman with a table. Maybe change the blue walls to burgandy? Good luck!
    salmon143 thanked Julia & Elizabeth
  • magada
    9 years ago
    oh and you don't need the pink of the ottoman either
    salmon143 thanked magada
  • flopsycat1
    9 years ago
    Do you want to stick with a very traditional style? If not, maybe mix it up a little with a more contemporary painting. Definitely nix the pink ottoman and try a more transitional coffee table. Lots of potential for tweaking the overall look.
    salmon143 thanked flopsycat1
  • User
    9 years ago
    The furniture is fine but the sofa is a bit small. If youcould buy something more contemporary. Maybe striped roman shades. And the artwork seems off in style not size. Perhaps something more classic...?
    salmon143 thanked User
  • acm
    9 years ago
    I think that the painting pulls everything together, so I'd keep that. For me, it's the competing (somewhat dated) patterns of rug + arm chairs -- I'd pick one of those and change the other. But agree that you need to decide what balance of traditional and modern you need, as answers will vary depending... (p.s.) I quite like the room right now, so you probably just need one or two tweaks to get where you want to be.
    salmon143 thanked acm
  • salmon143
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you all for the great responses! It's so wonderful to see the problem from other viewpoints! I never noticed the sofa was small - but since the comment by ideaplace222, I remember it was purchased for our much smaller scale first house. I see what acm means about competing rug/arm chairs - now if I can only talk my husband into some changes!
  • msrmom
    9 years ago
    Hi. I love your room. It has many strengths: the furniture is timeless, the wainscoting beautiful, and I love that wall color (is it an eggplant?), and the rug. It saves a lot of money to work with what you have so lets go. I'm just thinking (typing) out loud so take it or leave it.

1. How do you feel about that painting? I'm not loving it. Sorry. Is it real? If you love it maybe try lowering it just a tad to tie in with the sofa. If you don't care for it and its not pricey a place to spend some money might be to find something equally large that you really love. Could even be modern.

2. And the lamps I'm not loving either. Perhaps select some lovely wall sconces for either side of the picture. They should be pretty good sized. I'm not sure if you're trying to keep the room with a period feel or bring in a little more modern pieces to lighten up the feel of the room?

3. Overall the room is a little matchy so you can update by a bit of contrast: some geometrics and something besides wood (wicker, metal, glass, painted furniture). In houzz search on victorian sofa and you'll see some really cute ideas. You don't have to reupholster it if you like the green. I think its beautiful.

4. For curtains, instead of taupe I'd like to see printed panels with a lot of white or cream - maybe a place for a geometric. Choose one of the other colors (maybe the sofa green) to mix with white. Maybe silk gingham (not a little tiny gingham, but something a bit larger). I don't know how to add houzz photos, but there is a room called "whitstable island cottage" that has kind of the gingham except the green is lighter and don't pull them back. Keep it simple, only white(cream) and one other color.

5. If you don't like the ottoman you could replace it with an oval glass table. Or you could just get a large tray and maybe a throw to put on it. The tray should be anything but dark brown wood. Try painted or light wood like your floors, or wicker...

6. Since you don't love the little round end table you could paint it and then get a new, taller lamp (unless you do the sconces) and move your small picture and flowers closer to it. Or raise the lamp up on some pretty books. The other corner could really use an end table too though I'm not sure what? Metal base? Center base rather than legs? Or more solid? Or a garden stool? Just not another queen anne victorian look - too much gets boring.

7. Oh, and throw pillows. Pick a color from your chairs.

I hope something was helpful. Would love to see what you do.
    salmon143 thanked msrmom
  • msrmom
    9 years ago
    Just saw someone's suggestion about striped roman shades - I really like that idea too. Again try white/cream and the sofa green.
    salmon143 thanked msrmom
  • Claudianne Young
    9 years ago
    I would put the ottoman by the base of the floor lamp, put a tray on top with some photos or books. Then I would get some small pink plates and do a little arrangement on both sides of the painting. I would get rid of the plant for something fuller and add another piece of art to the other wall to add balance. I would slant the chairs so they more face the sofa and use something whimsical for side tables such as a garden plant column or small planter with a glass top. For the windows I would add white sheers .
    salmon143 thanked Claudianne Young
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Your sofa looks small because the dark green fabric is up against the white wainscoting, which is higher than the sofa.

Have you tried putting the sofa in front of the windows, pulled out a enough to allow for panels to hang freely to the floor?

Slipcovers · More Info
    salmon143 thanked JudyG Designs
  • apple_pie_order
    9 years ago
    Try removing the ottoman and borrowing a floor lamp from another room, then take more photos.

If you want to keep the sofa, try adding a 3-piece coffee table and end table set along with a pair of substantial lamps in a traditional style. Add a large mirror with frame, perhaps gilt, and move the artwork somewhere else. In traditional rooms, coordinating coffee table and end tables are a matter of personal taste: some people love them, some people say "too matchy matchy". There've been pairs of end tables made for hundreds of years, so it's not like matching pieces have been out of style forever.

Alternatively: I agree that a transitional sofa, end table and coffee table would tie the room together, including the artwork. Redoing the upholstery on the two chairs might be needed if you get a new sofa.
    salmon143 thanked apple_pie_order
  • blrussell
    9 years ago
    Agree with a lot of what's been said...don't care for the picture or the ottoman. Maybe you should try re-arranging. Place both chairs with table in between where the sofa is. And the sofa on the wall facing the windows. I would then place a rectangular table between the window.
    Or a least try pulling the sofa off the wall and bring the chairs in more and at a slight angle.
    salmon143 thanked blrussell
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    What is your personal favorite piece of furniture in the room? What is husband's fav? What are your favorite architectural details here that make up the "envelop" - wainscot, paint, crown, ceiling? Is the art special, sentimental... That may be where we should start. We can weed out the other pieces or change the details of the room with new ones if we keep what you love about it.
    salmon143 thanked decoenthusiaste
  • salmon143
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    For clarity: The painting is an original which I love; however, it can definitely be moved to another place in my home. The walls are a deep blue - Benjamin Moore's Kensington Blue. (sorry pictures are not a good representation ). My husband loves the fabric on the chairs (me - not so much - too fussy). I make my own roman shades (just finished a beautiful striped one for my family room), so that's cool. I think I got stuck thinking the room had to stay formal, so I needed drapes - but that would just be perpetuating the formal problem. Once again -thanks for so many great responses - each one has pieces I can draw from to make this work. I am feeling like this could be fixed! Yea!
  • sandradclark
    9 years ago
    You have a beautiful room. Love the rug & chairs. Maybe it's the Queen Anne pieces that is throwing everyone off. Love the idea of roman shades. Your wainscot detailing is fabulous. I love the shape of your sofa. Have you thought of upholstering it? Maybe the legs could be changed to straight legs. I like the idea of wall sconces on each side of your lovely painting. Maybe it is too floral for the room though. Try an abstract. take the ottoman out and try a small glass topped square with straight iron legs. Place books on it or on the floor under it. Add some smooth pottery pieces here & there. It is just looking very stiff and extremely formal right now.
    salmon143 thanked sandradclark
  • PRO
    Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
    9 years ago
    Hi, I think that the scale of the sofa is your biggest problem. Personally, I like the paint color and the fabric on your chairs is not a big deal. A new sofa upholstered in an updated classic fabric would change everything. By "updated classic fabric" I mean something rich like a Velvet or even a wool felt. I'd pick a Taupe and pipe the sofa in a Blue solid cotton Sateen.
    You might paint the wainscoting in two shades of Taupe, keeping the White on the raised moldings. If you can go further, side tables and new lamps will add a lot.
    PS, The fabric on the camel back sofa is a striped linen velvet.
    salmon143 thanked Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    We'd love to see it when you finish!
  • lessismoore
    9 years ago
    It's just a bit too much color to coordinate. While you love the painting, it's primary colors to match with would be pink/rose and turquoise blues! Yes, there is a bit of green in there, but not a "sofa's" worth :-) You could have a pink/blue/beige scheme in there, but you'd have to repaint the upper walls. What is "easiest" for you? Recover sofa? paint walls?
    I think you could get a nice glass coffee table with a gold/brass metal to coordinate with the frame it would be a good start.
  • lessismoore
    9 years ago
    For example, just one way you go ...
    salmon143 thanked lessismoore
  • Maureen
    9 years ago
    Some easy fixes. Move ottoman to under window and suggest a rectangle glass coffee table with brass (to compliment your framed art - which should be lowered) Add some wonderful silk pillows in purple and pink on your couch...it will make couch feel more substantial and rolled pillow on single chairs. Move chairs to face couch and place side table in between without a lamp. Change the shade on your floor lamp to something more modern (see last picture). On the right wall, add a console table (see 2nd picture for ideas). For drapery, one rod across both windows and white linen curtains at either end..don't add more colors. houzz=
    Black & Gold Residence · More Info
    ];[houzz=
    Living Room · More Info
    ];[houzz=
    Currey & Company Eternity Floor Lamp · More Info
    salmon143 thanked Maureen