Deck - roof or no roof
ssinghdesouza
May 22, 2012 in Photo Questions
Good day, I live in Ontario Canada - we have very hot days in the summer but the winter can be cold and harsh, with alot of snow but not regularly. I'd like to design my deck, which sits 6 ft. above the ground, I'd also like a covered roof, but it can be expensive. I was considering to not cover the deck, but rather use a pergola. What's the best solution to have a deck, even with a partial covered roof considering the snow might be heavy if we choose plexiglass or fibreglass to fill the slats? I'd like the rain protection...or something removable during the winter months other than tough, awning material? Thanks.
Farinelli Construction Inc
Hi, it sounds like from what you are describing a nice awning with a removable roof for in the winter would be great! Hope this helps!
June 20, 2012 at 11:30AM   
ssinghdesouza
Thanks for your input. I'm toying with a covered rooftop, but with city permit limitations it probably won't pass. I'm looking at removable options. Thanks again.
June 20, 2012 at 12:45PM   
HI -- If you can swing it with the city , then go for the covered roof. We have one and we live in Calgary. The snow has never been a problem . We love ours , it has the same roofing as the house and we sit out there when it's raining and watch the lightening etc. If you can't get the permit for that, then maybe a retractable awning will work for you.
June 20, 2012 at 12:55PM   
ssinghdesouza
Thanks! I'm leaning more towards the covered roof, to match our shingles, etc. It's like a little paradise and a lovely extension to the kitchen area, with some heavy drapery it'll look almost caribbean, but sadly in Toronto (ha ha). I priced the retractable awning vs. the covered roof, granted the cover is expensive, but the awnings are $2500 +. Our roof might be $3,500, so i'd rather the covered roof.
June 20, 2012 at 1:04PM   
If you have room I would recommend having both a covered and exposed area so you can customize the seating arrangement as you see fit throughout the season. Having some protection from the elements will extend the usability of your outdoor space year round.

Historic Restoration and Preservation

ladner contemporary
June 20, 2012 at 1:26PM     
ssinghdesouza
Unfortunately we don't have much room - I'm in an inside townhouse unit - I have a long backyard, but width-wise is only 20 ft.
June 20, 2012 at 1:37PM   
Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC.
I worked on this covered outdoor area a few years back. I can tell you that because it is covered it gets a lot more use than it would with just a pergola. Pergolas are beautiful, but when it comes to extreme heat or rain, shelter is really best. Hope that helps. Charmean Neithart

June 20, 2012 at 1:38PM   
Israr Chak
I live in azad kashmir
i love wood style because wood is a naturail matriel for home
July 17, 2012 at 5:22PM   
Will these choices work????
Went to Ethan Allen shopping for new living room furniture...
What design style is this bed frame?
What design is this? I cannot find one like it here...
Bedroom Blues
Need help! What color bedding? Solid? Patterned? Leather...
Please help me tie my room together!
Hi everyone! I've been decorating my living room and...
"Need help with master bedroom/bath layout"
We have a current design, which I have attached, but...