Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ssinghdesouza

Deck - roof or no roof

ssinghdesouza
11 years ago
Good day, I live in Ontario Canada - we have very hot days in the summer but the winter can be cold and harsh, with alot of snow but not regularly. I'd like to design my deck, which sits 6 ft. above the ground, I'd also like a covered roof, but it can be expensive. I was considering to not cover the deck, but rather use a pergola. What's the best solution to have a deck, even with a partial covered roof considering the snow might be heavy if we choose plexiglass or fibreglass to fill the slats? I'd like the rain protection...or something removable during the winter months other than tough, awning material? Thanks.
Farinelli Construction Inc · More Info

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Farinelli Construction, Inc.
    11 years ago
    Hi, it sounds like from what you are describing a nice awning with a removable roof for in the winter would be great! Hope this helps!
  • ssinghdesouza
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for your input. I'm toying with a covered rooftop, but with city permit limitations it probably won't pass. I'm looking at removable options. Thanks again.
  • lefty47
    11 years ago
    HI -- If you can swing it with the city , then go for the covered roof. We have one and we live in Calgary. The snow has never been a problem . We love ours , it has the same roofing as the house and we sit out there when it's raining and watch the lightening etc. If you can't get the permit for that, then maybe a retractable awning will work for you.
  • ssinghdesouza
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks! I'm leaning more towards the covered roof, to match our shingles, etc. It's like a little paradise and a lovely extension to the kitchen area, with some heavy drapery it'll look almost caribbean, but sadly in Toronto (ha ha). I priced the retractable awning vs. the covered roof, granted the cover is expensive, but the awnings are $2500 +. Our roof might be $3,500, so i'd rather the covered roof.
  • ssinghdesouza
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Unfortunately we don't have much room - I'm in an inside townhouse unit - I have a long backyard, but width-wise is only 20 ft.
  • PRO
    Charmean Neithart Interiors
    11 years ago
    I worked on this covered outdoor area a few years back. I can tell you that because it is covered it gets a lot more use than it would with just a pergola. Pergolas are beautiful, but when it comes to extreme heat or rain, shelter is really best. Hope that helps. Charmean Neithart
    Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC. · More Info
  • Israr Chak
    11 years ago
    I live in azad kashmir
    i love wood style because wood is a naturail matriel for home