Co-ed Kids Bed
nena01
I just had this bed made for my 5 year old daughter and 3 year old son. I'm having a difficult time trying to find a theme or just decorate their room because its for both boy and girl. The blue wall is now gone and the room is now painted all white with one wall yellow. Help
Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC.
I think these silhouette murals are so fun. They look whimsical, but could still grow with them for a good amount of time. Definitely gender neutral, perhaps consider something like this...

If you painted multiple trees on the bedroom walls, the beds could be the treehouse. Hope that helps and keep us all posted on what you decide. Charmean Neithart
May 22, 2012 at 9:38pm     
Eye to Eye Interiors, LLC
I'd bring the outdoors in! The quirky picket-type fencing on the top bunk would feel right at home with a backdrop of trees, birds, bugs, butterflies or bubbles. Choose two or three elements and keep it simple. You might consider painting the picket fencing white. It'll pop nicely with the white and yellow walls you describe. I'd also bring in a play rug, a loveseat for pre-bedtime book reading, a wall sconce (lamps get tipped over easily by little ones) and some colorful bedding. Take a look online at wall decals too - they're a great way to liven up kids rooms. Easy to install and remove again once they grow out of the look. You can also use them creatively in conjunction with shelving and hooks for storage. Check out these great ideas:
Girl's Room
Floating Booshelves & Tree Wall Art
Alicia Ventura, Interior Design
Best of luck to you - enjoy the process!
May 22, 2012 at 9:45pm     
michigammemom
How about a beach shack theme? This bedding from Pottery Barn Kids would be appropriate for a girl or boy with its bright primary colors and mix of patterns. http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/blue-island-patchwork-bedding/?catalogId=84&cm_src=AutoRel
May 23, 2012 at 4:04am     
I think a fun green palette would be gender neutral and look great with the wood of the beds--emphasizing the treehouse theme. Example:

I like the use of different greens in this room, plus the little pops of red, orange, and black.
May 23, 2012 at 4:21am   
njames1998
I love the outdoors or beach theme... An indoor swing would work great if you played up the treehouse look!
May 23, 2012 at 4:51am     
Barnhart Gallery
Here's my brainstorm -- I'm thinking of one of the terracotta pots I painted back in the '90's; I've just scanned a washed out and blurry old 35mm photo...

Looking at the large veggie garden and the small onion pot, I'd be tempted to make it a garden room, where the boy gets the lower bunk and the lower walls are "underground," showing roots, mole trails, bugs, etc, and then the upper half with the "fence" is all bright sunny garden, birds, rabbits, etc for your daughter.

Doing just the two walls where the bed is would help to keep the room from closing in on you. It's an awfully themey idea, which I tend to avoid, but this is the age where I make an exception and I think you'd get seven years out of it before having to sand and paint to something more neutral.

Great ideas above, too -- have fun!
May 23, 2012 at 9:29am     
Fabulous Interior Designs, LLC.
The bunk bed is a bit overwhelming for the room, maybe adding some soft fabrics with fun color and a theme, may be a quick and easy solution. Hope this is helpful.
May 23, 2012 at 9:58am     
HI -- I just have a comment about the fence railing --- looks like a hanging hazard to me !
May 23, 2012 at 12:03pm     
houssaon
I agree with lefty47, if the space between is 4 inches or more at the top of the pickets. I'm not too keen about having a bunk bed right next to a window either - falling or fire egress hazzard.
May 23, 2012 at 1:04pm   
Fabulous Interior Designs, LLC.
Yes, I agree too, safety seems to be an issue with this particular unit; the owner may want to have some adjustments made to the "pickets". I also agree with Houssaon, I am not too crazy about having a bunk bed next to a window; it is a hazard.
May 23, 2012 at 1:26pm   
nena01
Bed is not by the window anymore
May 23, 2012 at 1:39pm   
HI --- Looking at this unit again -- I have some questions - how do you tuck your child in at night and when the top child is ill - how can you tend to them ?I think you will be looking for something else very soon - I don't see this working at all . It's just a bad design -sorry! As a mother and now a grandmother I would not use this bunkbed for my child. It would be easier to make this a cute safe room, without it.
May 23, 2012 at 2:06pm   
nena01
The bed is very sturdy. I go up there daily and read books and tuck them in with out a problem. I also can sleep with them. Its just as safe as a regular bunk bed. If I knew my children where out of control and they would be trying to climb the railing I would not of bought this
May 23, 2012 at 2:53pm   
Sheila Edmond
I think that since this is for a boy and girl the theme of Peter Pan and Tinkerbell could be an excellent source of inspiration. I see trees, glowing fairies, flowers, mosquito netting, a crocodile, a flying ship, a deep dark cobalt sky with glowing stars....
May 23, 2012 at 2:54pm   
HI -- One of the first things kids learn is shapes and colors . So if you go with poka-dots in crayon colors then that will work for both kids.
May 25, 2012 at 12:10pm   
Lumina Pets
Hi nena01...a little late, but you could personalise your kid's own area of the room with their own lamps.
One could be suspended from the ceiling for the top bunk and a bedside lamp for the bottom bunk...If your kids like Nemo then they would love our orange Lumina Fish....have a look at some of our pics for more ideas..
October 16, 2012 at 7:23pm   
nasmijati
This is your children's room. Both of them are able to make some of their own choices, as you well know. Allow them to help.

Have them each make a piece of art with paint or markers, and sign their name to their piece as best they can. Put the date on the back. Have each piece professionally framed, or purchase the type of frame that allows art to be changed easily.

It is doubtful that someone on Houzz will have expertise in the area of the impact of environmental color on the learning capacity of children, and the physiological response of the human child's body to different colors. I suggest you devote time for considerable research in this area. Be sure you are keeping in mind that you are looking for the effects of color on CHILDREN.

Your children are learning at incredible rates at ages three and five. Help them by providing a "nourishing" physical environment in terms of color.

Have fun and hug them every chance you get. They will be all grown up in only 936 Saturdays.

Retired therapist tipi
October 16, 2012 at 8:03pm   
anitajoyce
Light blue and green make a great color scheme. You could add some orange or red accents also. Makes for a nice coed space! Bean bags for the floor also.
October 16, 2012 at 8:21pm     
nasmijati
Anitajoyce, I like your idea. tipi
October 17, 2012 at 8:52am     
cyn222
Might want to consider horizontal rails. Easier to make the bed for you and safer for the children.
October 17, 2012 at 9:19am     
Do you grow your own veg?
Homegrown carrots, potatoes, tomatoes... There's nothing...
Fireplace Frustration
Hi! Looking for suggestions on what to do with this...
Which polyurethane finish for dark oak cabinets
What is the most appropriate poly finish for dark oak...
Update orange ish oak floors
Want to update the stain of current orange ish oak...
Lordy Lordy, Margo's -
Actually, I don't know how old Margo is, but I do know...