Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rereh

Ideas to spruce up the front of my house...

rereh
9 years ago
Just bought this semi-attached colonial (so they say) home. Bought it for the killer view and because we desperately needed a house... but I'm not such a fan of the front. I'd love to get some fun ideas on how to spruce this place up (budget friendly please) to make it a little easier on the eyes :) I am not painting the siding, changing roofing or removing the metal work unfortunately. I was thinking of a fun entry door and can't decide on color. House is a pale yellow/ cream color. Please houzzers give me some curb appeal! Would love to hear all fun ideas even if not budget friendly and just for fun to dream about ;)

Comments (13)

• Dar Eckert
    9 years ago
    The first thing I would do is remove the red carpet from the steps. Tiling or putting stone or even staining or painting would look better. If you decide on putting a stone on the steps, I would also continue the stone on the lower level instead of the white.

Pelham Shingle Style for a Modern Family · More Info

Cottage Exterior · More Info
    rereh thanked Dar Eckert
  • rereh
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    It's horrible right? It's actually paint but may as well be red carpet lol. The slate steps are gorgeous but unfortunately the most I can do right now is re-paint the existing. I think the slate would be a nice addition though. Thank you!
  • Dar Eckert
    9 years ago
    Well, how about this? Paint the riser white and the top of the step black. If you decide on a paint color for your door you could paint the riser white and the top of the steps same color as door. Here's a thought. if you paint the top a different color wrap it on to the riser 1' so you can see it from the bottom of the steps.
    rereh thanked Dar Eckert
  • Dar Eckert
    9 years ago
    This aqua blue is my new favorite color for front doors.
    Make a Colorful Entrance: 9 Unusual Front Door Hues · More Info
  • sandradclark
    9 years ago
    A red, bright yellow, even black will work. I also agree with repainting the steps, even if it just to paint the risers an off-white. It looks like you have a bit of a porch. put a couple of bright colored potted plants where they can be seen by visitors. Is it correct the bottom floor does not have siding on it. Try painting that a dark gray.
    rereh thanked sandradclark
  • weaselemu
    9 years ago
    Are the iron covers necessary? I think you could use some black shutters, a red door, new paint on the stairs-with a painted on carpet runner, and a few pots of tall grass by the door and lower window.
  • rereh
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Ah you guys are killing me. I love these ideas! I hadn't thought of doing two colors on the risers and steps. I am liking the teal color idea for the door, but also thought of black. Maybe keep it simple and do black steps and door with white risers. Teal is so fun though! pots sound cute by the basement entry. Unfortunately the grills have to stay but maybe those could be teal with black door?
  • visualizemaven
    9 years ago
    Hey- you need to ask yourself: " where do I want to draw the viewers eye"? Right now, the focal point is the steps because they are darker and pop out - that is undesirable, right? The four colors going on (brown/burgundy painted steps, black railing and storm door, white trim and light yellow siding/body of the house) is not working - but you know that! :) The solution is to simplify. Minimize the impact of the stairs by painting them a neutral which is monochromatic with the body of the house (do not alternatie colors on the steps - that will only look garish). Are you open to painting all the black iron white? The trick here is to eliminate all the competing elements. The idea to paint the door a punch color is a good one but not teal. If you want the fun of teal, buy teal ceramic pots/planters. The front door needs to be a focal point but you need to pick a pleasing color. I suggest a classic tan/taupe such as Huntington Beige. To summarize: leave the ironwork black if you don't want to paint white, paint the steps a color close to the house color (slightly lighter) and paint your front door a mid-tone tan/taupe. A classic palatte that you can funk up with your accessories: pots & plants. Congratulations on your new home! Enjoy the ride!
    rereh thanked visualizemaven
  • rereh
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you! I think I want that pop of color on the front door. Black is going to get lost and look like a black hole, so I think the Teal door and remove grill on front door if at all possible and that will help liven it up. Leave steps as is in rust/terracotta color. Thoughts?
  • sandradclark
    9 years ago
    I disagree with having to paint the stairs all one color. You have seen Spanish style homes with bright colored tile risers. You can to paint them two colors & I would paint the risers the same bright color you decide to paint the front door. Use very tall pots with overflowing plants on the lover level. I like the idea of painting the lower level dark grey with brightly colored pots, maybe coral & teal & repeat the coral and teal combination on the stairs with a bright coral door at the top.
  • PRO
    Grown Solutions
    9 years ago
    I would install a Hanging Garden Trellis in front of the lowest level window.
  • PRO
    Green Project
    7 years ago

Some details like this and changing out the colors and porch entry would be a great start. Also, assuming you need to keep security bars on the lower level windows, change them out to something less formidable and more decorative: