to vessel sink or not to vessel sink
Deborah Murphy
May 23, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I am thinking of installing a copper vessel sink in a powder room. Are they on the way out?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jamieson
Hmmm, touchy subject. I'd be very leery of purchasing a vessel sink, think this trend is going to burn out soon. If your decor is eclectic, it might have a few more years in shelf life before it his its "best before date". I confess, I'll be interested what other posters thoughts and views are on the issue.
0 Likes   May 23, 2012 at 1:39PM
PRO
Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC.
I remember the first time I saw a vessel sink...oh about 16-17 years ago...Yikes! I thought it was so weird, still do. I would just do a regular sink, instead consider a wall mounted faucet for a little novelty with some great wallpaper for your powder room. This is probably personal preference, but this style has never grown on me. Hope that helps.
Charmean Neithart
0 Likes   May 23, 2012 at 1:57PM
feeny
Wow, it looks like we are all going to pile on against vessel sinks. I too am very skeptical about this trend. I think many of them look absolutely beautiful, but I find them a bit awkward to use, and I vastly prefer the ease of a continuous surface, undermount sink. And I do think that once the trend passes, they are going to look dated in ways that a more classic style won't. Having said all this, there are a couple of styles that are wide and low enough to tempt me just a little.....
bathroom

But if I were redoing my bathroom right now, I'd choose this more classic design:
Farmhouse Reinterpreted
0 Likes   May 23, 2012 at 2:09PM
PRO
Mona Ives
I don't feel vessels are out but that they are less functional. More splash, less counterspace. I'd suggest a hammered copper sink from Elkay. They patina well and are available in many sizes. They can be self-rimming or undermount. I believe I have a picture of one in my profile under the basement project.
1 Like   May 23, 2012 at 2:13PM
lefty47
HI -- Vessel sinks have been around for almost twenty years now. I would only use a vessel for a powder room- Not a main bathroom . I don't think they are going out of style anytime soon. The idea is very old going back 100's years -- remember the water pitcher and bowls they had before indoor plumbing ? If the bathroom vanity is fairly small - I would use an undermount sink. Actually for all bathrooms - just a better look.But powder rooms are different . As for your question - I think the copper vessel sink will be lovely for your powder room ,providing you know what else you are doing with the room decor. It's a powder room so you can go bold - this room does not need to be the same as the rest of the house. Copper is very in right now. Have fun with it !
1 Like   May 23, 2012 at 2:39PM
PRO
Shannon Ggem ASID
Poor vessel sinks. I don't care for the function of them either.
0 Likes   May 23, 2012 at 2:51PM
PRO
Chroma Design
I would only use a vessel sink in a powder room. They are a splash mess! If you will have lots of little ones using it, fuhgeddaboudit!!!
The right faucet- proper height, water exits straight down not at an angle, and proper extension so water is near center- can help with potential mess.
Copper is classic, I wouldn't be too concerned with trend since with that material.
0 Likes   May 23, 2012 at 9:12PM
Manon Floreat
I think if you're going to stay in your house for some time, you should do what you like and not be concerned with what's "in" or "out". It's your house that you paid for and should reflect your sensibilities.

If, however, you plan to sell any time soon, you may want to think about what will appeal to the greatest number of buyers and install that.
1 Like   May 23, 2012 at 10:23PM
michigammemom
I like to think of the vessel sink and sculptural faucet in my powder room as art. It is beautiful to look at but not entirely practical.
2 Likes   May 24, 2012 at 4:09AM