Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sozbas

HELP HELP HELP FIREPLACE

sozbas
9 years ago
Hello, part of our house renovation, we got this fireplace on a low budget. The contractor made the wood work larger than we want. I like the tile work. We were planning to put TV above but now we cannot. Any suggestions how we can make this work? Should we remove wood work? Pls advise! Thank you

Comments (14)

• sozbas
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    This is another picture
  • cabingirl13
    9 years ago
    If you don't like the woodwork have it removed and redone if you can afford it. I agree it is too big and I don't personally like the rope looking decorative border. The mantle would look much nicer just squared off too.
  • Patricia Kent
    9 years ago
    I think it is well done and perfect proportion to the opening and the stone. Guess you will paint it white to match your woodwork. The roping trim will add texture when painted white. The wood has to be a certain distance from the firebox by code. TV above the mantel is not a good idea anyway.
  • grobby
    9 years ago
    Looks out of scale, too tall and wide. I agree with cabingirl, the rope border doesn't work. Have it redone and give the contractor done measurements that you're happy with.
  • printesa
    9 years ago
    I don't think it's too big. Paint it white and you'll see if you like it. The proportions look fine to me
  • sozbas
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you all, yes paint is the next step but I do not want to start that before I make sure we are fine with the final product. So far I have equal opinions, posting one more picture for the full room.
  • sozbas
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    This is actually a big room, combined with kitchen on the other side, this is another view after hard woods are installed with no furniture, fireplace was cut off though , it is on the right side..
  • PRO
    C and K Curtains and More Options...
    9 years ago
    You probably already know this but make sure the heat from the fire will not affect your T.V. What size T.V. do you have in mind? Will it tilt or come out from the wall on a bracket etc? There are some that look like mirrors but they are expensive.
  • printesa
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    The proportions of the fireplace are fine. For some reason, the fireplace looks too large for the room. It might be the height of the room..It's possible that after you paint it white, add a painting or something that you like above the fireplace, have the furniture in, the fireplace will not overwhelm the room.
  • sozbas
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I am thinking about not to place TV up anymore, after all bad reviews in advice section. This is such a cozy room , connected to kitchen ( which has more light). I will post more pictures tomorrow in the daylight to give full picture. Thank you all
  • sozbas
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Christine, we thought about "tilt" option.
  • Danielle Sims
    9 years ago
    I would find a large print almost the width of fireplace leaving enough room for candles underneath. Or another option could be to purchase the rustic shelving and have a wall of pictures and mirrors all different sizes.
    I'll agree as for me, the one fireplace has been the hardest part for me to finalize, but this website has helped with all of the new house tremendously. Best of luck.
  • Kirk
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I agree with removing rope molding as mentioned above. Perhaps you can remove mantel cap and replace it with a style more to your liking. Also, I'm noticing the lack of a hearth. I'm not sure where you live, but this does not meet code here and could cause problems with selling your home. Consider adding a complementary hearth to help balance the fireplace.

In addition, we generally conceal electrical and A/V wiring behind drywall or mantel cap. Dangling wires are an eyesore and will completely undermine what you're trying to accomplish in this renovation. If you have not already done so, consider these electrical suggestions if you decide to remove/replace cap.

Kirk, MVH