What type of wood is on this island? What about the countertops?
nrizz231
May 23, 2012 in Photo Questions
Martha O'Hara Interiors
Thanks for your interest! The wood type on the island is walnut and the counter top is Carrara Marble. Best!

-Martha O'Hara Interiors
www.oharainteriors.com
1 Like   May 25, 2012 at 1:53PM
ellenjohn
This kitchen is absolutely gorgeous! I would love a wood countertop for the island, but worry about how functional it is. How have you found a wood island to stand up to the wear and tear of a busy kitchen?
0 Likes   May 26, 2012 at 5:07AM
Sarah Beth
It's definitely Black Walnut (can't tell from this angle if it's Plank or Edge style construction - but it's definitely not end grain). It may have a stain on it to make it a bit darker, but it's hard to tell from that angle.

I have Black Walnut in my kitchen on the entire perimeter (sadly, no room for an island). It is ONLY durable if you have it finished by a company like the one I went through (Craft Art wood countertops). The finish is the only way to make it durable. They have a "modified Tung Oil finish" that is water proof and food safe and totally food stain proof. Just can't put bleach on it because it makes the finish sticky.

I LOVE mine.
1 Like   May 29, 2012 at 11:31AM
Sarah Beth
woops, forgot to include link www.craft-art.com

I've had it for just over 1.5yrs now and still perfect. I have a family and a counter-surfing (and adorable) dog so I have been pleasantly surprised by durability.

Clean with anything you are allowed to clean granite with. I use a 20% vinegar to water solution because it's green, inexpensive and a natural disinfectant.

ps. Great design, Martha! I hope I can use a designer half as good as you on my next home.
1 Like   May 29, 2012 at 11:34AM
Martha O'Hara Interiors
Thank you for your interest! Typically any wood surface is vulnerable to damage or distress. The wooden island top in the image above didn't interfere with our client's lifestyle. However, this solution may not be for everyone.

When deciding on materials for a kitchen we suggest thinking about what you will be using the surface for. For instance, display and entertaining vs eating and food preparation. I hope that helps you with your question. Best!

Martha O'Hara Interiors
www.oharainteriors.com
1 Like   May 29, 2012 at 11:55AM
ellenjohn
Thanks for all the comments...very helpful!
0 Likes   May 31, 2012 at 7:27AM
Need help with awkward entrance and stair landing.
My entrance hall looks straight into our kitchen, and...
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
view multi window treatments in 1 room
LR has 2 focal long windows in front and 3 on the side.I...