Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
castglassimages

Are you afraid of glass counter tops?

Cast Glass Images Inc.
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
We get a lot of questions from pros and homeowners about how strong glass counter tops are compared to the many alternatives out there - or how reliable they are in areas like the kitchen next to stoves etc. Curious how many other people have the same hesitation or have other concerns?

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Divine Design
    9 years ago
    Wow they are fabulous. Do you make the counters? We are very slow to specify glass counters because we perceive them to be brittle on the corners. We use glass splash backs all the time.
    Cast Glass Images Inc. thanked Divine Design
  • PRO
    Mobilificio Marchese
    9 years ago
    In Italy we often use kaolin glass on kitchen
    Cast Glass Images Inc. thanked Mobilificio Marchese
  • User
    9 years ago
    I have been salivating for some glass counters;) I will have to satisfy my craving with a bathroom counter as I only have one vanity counter to replace. Thanks for the post!
    Cast Glass Images Inc. thanked User
  • PRO
    Cast Glass Images Inc.
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    @Divine Design we do fabricate custom glass countertops. The glass countertops are not brittle, they are actual quite strong but just like granite countertops, they can chip or scratch.

@Curt D'Onofrio glass is obviously a different material then any other countertop material like granite in it's look and feel however, just like with granite countertops you take extra care in making sure not to drop large pots or place hot pans on the granite. The same type of care should be had for glass. If there is an instance where the glass countertop is scratched you can buff out or polish out the scratches. With all of our products we provide 'home care' instructions post project to every client. You can use any amonia-free glass cleaners, X14, Shower Power, Tilex etc. We recommend for shower doors or other glass areas that come into contact with water that you don't let water mineral deposits build up over time. If they do, we recommend cleaning at least once a week. Glass countertops are a decorative yet functional alternative to other countertop materials.

@Margo thanks for sharing with us! We'd love to help you with your project, please let us know if you have any questions!
  • PRO
    Davida's Kitchen & Tiles
    9 years ago
    I love to use glass countertops but they can chip and or scratch so you have to be careful with them. Glass countertops are beautiful.
    Cast Glass Images Inc. thanked Davida's Kitchen & Tiles
  • qam999
    9 years ago

I'm a materials scientist/engineer with a lot of professional experience in glass, and I would love a glass countertop! Sure, I'd ask a few questions as all glass is not alike, and the exact details of fabrication and installation can make all the difference in the world. Done right, a glass countertop will be one of the easiest to care for and beautiful materials out there. Examples I've seen with backlighting or sidelighting are just stunning.

Cast Glass Images Inc. thanked qam999
  • apple_pie_order
    9 years ago

I'd be interested in a glass where I could set down a big hot frying pan full of chili. Borosilicate glass might work; I'm not sure if it is available for kitchen countertops. Any comments?