Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
freddie_948

Any ideas on how to decorate this huge fireplace?

Ann
9 years ago
This surround is around 24 inches deep and 55 inches wide and the hearth is even bigger. I can't put a lot on the sides of it to try to visually diminish the size because it is a very small room and on both sides are walk ways into other rooms. The entire wall behind it is brick. I am painting the brass door ring black and changing the green stone to maybe a brownish tone and trying to restain the light oak a darker color. Any ideas on how to decorate around it would be appreciated.

Comments (14)

• fos5
    9 years ago
    Paint the fireplace surround and mantle black or dark charcole that is in the brick, so it will stand out as a focal point. Everything in the room is the same warm colors, all blending everything together. Would ike to see more pictures of the room. The sofa appears to be in an odd location next to the stairs and a doorway.
  • Barbara Dunstan
    9 years ago
    My thoughts would be if you really hate it and don't want to paint it, then plaster it and the world is at your feet.
  • mariaguas
    9 years ago
    Small room: paint the brick an off white and the fireplace surround a dark chocolate or black. Go for dramatic!
  • fos5
    9 years ago
    antcap17 the white fireplace and molding is very pretty but in freddie948 home the woodwork is all varnish wood and think you would have to paint all the woodwork, doors and molding white as well.. Do you want to do that????
  • PRO
    creative molding
    9 years ago
    I would remove All The Woody frame and make it smaller with Dark brown wood
  • Roz
    9 years ago
    if you want to blend paint the brick wall & fireplace the same colour, put the tv over the fireplace if it fits. go for a couple of single arm chairs instead of the sofa, otherwise put the sofa opposite fireplace/tv
  • Ramona
    9 years ago
    pictures of other side of room
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    9 years ago
    The fireplace is fine. The brick needs to be painted.
  • fos5
    9 years ago
    Looking at the FP again it appears the fireplace surround is out of scale to the height of the room, too tall. No space over the mantle for a TV. Remove that mantle and drop it down as much as you can complying with the fireplace codes where you live. Then paint it. What color are your kitchen cabinets???? Trying to find a another color you are using in your home on case goods.
  • Sue
    9 years ago
    The best thing we did was replace the raised brick hearth with tiles the same level as the carpet. The fireplace does not intrude into the room now. We also squared the fireplace when we tiled over the brick with stacked stone. Sorry no before photo but it was heavy brick and timber like you have.
  • joetarlos
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I'm not sure what you have on the other side of the wall but I'd knock the wall down and open the room up with the fireplace along with opening up the other rooms next to it. Then finish off the remaining wall by fireplace with drywall and some tile around the fireplace...

• brizcs
    6 years ago
    I’m not sure but is there an actual chimney or just a flue back through the wall behind the heater? The mantel looks v deep as though perhaps this is the case.

Is this mantel etc just boxing in a solid wood/gas heater? In which case removal would be way less tricky and able to be replaced if desired. Or just reveal heater. Or reposition it.
  • brizcs
    6 years ago
    Haha. I just noticed this started in 2014! I think I’ve missed the moment!