Wall color help.
jahenry
My entire house trim is done with Sherwin Williams SW1115 Irish Cream, I want to paint my walls a shade or two darker. Any suggestions.
Segal & Wilmot Design Consultants
Could you post photos of your rooms to give us a better idea of the colors you like?
    Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 7:51AM
jahenry
Sure here is some of my kitchen and dining room, the walls and trim are the same throughout my entire house but want to add some color to the walls.
    Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 8:08AM
Segal & Wilmot Design Consultants
Since your rooms look neutral to me from your photos, I would suggest using stronger colors on the walls. Don't be afraid, especially if you have lots of light. A few suggestions: (all Benjamin Moore) Oat Straw, Rich Coral, Bleeker Beige, Squish Squash, Poire, Etruscan. These are just some of the colors we use that are tried and true. They're all beautiful. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Carol
    Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 8:13AM
jahenry
Yes my entire house is very neutral, but looking to change this somewhat. I will go check these colors out for sure. I just wanted to paint the builders walls with some color without redoing all the paint already done to the trim. We just redid the floors and new staircase and had that all painted to match all other trim in the house. Plus looking at my familyroom attached picture here we are looking to place a new flat screen above the fireplace and build in window seats beside. Thinking I want to get rid of the oak and have a new mantel built and paint the same as all of the trim, what do you think about that. My kitchen will be the only area that willstill have the oak cabinets.Would have loved to get them redone as well, BUT just not yet.
    Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 9:19AM
Segal & Wilmot Design Consultants
I would sit on the sofa and look at where you want to place the TV. It may be too high above the fireplace. Maybe you could re-arrange the furniture; is there an empty wall across from the sofa? If so, you might want to put the sofa there, so you can see out of the windows and see the fireplace. The TV could go on the wall between the windows with a storage unit underneath. I also suggest (when you have the time and money) to replace the curtains with some natural or tortoise shell blinds. The ones you have look too much like bedroom curtains. There are also nice solar blinds which are easy to use and protect your furniture. Blinds would give your room a more sporty look.
    Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 9:59AM
Segal & Wilmot Design Consultants
As far as the mantal goes, you can paint that a different color. I usually match the trim with the paint color on walls, in a semi gloss, unless you love the trim. That makes the walls look higher. I almost always paint the ceiling the same color as the walls. If you're looking for a more modern look, let me know. I have some suggestions. If you want to keep it traditional, you're on the right track.
    Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 10:02AM
jahenry
Yes i am already into looking for a type of blind for all my downstairs windows, after I pick a paint formy walls. As you can see attached file my other wall is a french door leading into my office. I have no other wall. So you would paint the mantal same as walls not trim paint, correct? I would love to hear your modern ideas.
    Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 11:52AM
Segal & Wilmot Design Consultants
No. It would depend upon the colors you choose for the walls/ceiling.
    Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 4:32PM
angieroberts
Can u paint a piano
    Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 4:05PM
Rockin' Fine Finish
Look at macadamia from Sherwin
    Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 9:26PM
Need wall color help for my kitchen
I'm stuck! Totally gutted kitchen and started from...
dahknadler
Master Bedroom Wall Color Help!
My husband and I just bought a new bed, see picture...
Leah Brady
Wall color help
Hello! Recently we painted our kitchen cabinets with...
cn1081
Wall color help.
Looking for wall color ideas to go with our sectional....
Kathi Denn
Tween bedroom wall color help
Hi. Wanting to redo my soon to be 12 yo a daughter...
azureoak
New to Houzz, and need HELP!
Hello! First time homeowner, 1920 single family home....
Brian Van Etten
Little help with Kitchen Color Combinations
Our home has very light color maple laminated floor,...
freshvin
Need ideas for this room!
The front do ropes to this. Room but it is not the...
gailgug
Design dilemma
Need ideas for displaying department 56 snow village...
mlporter79
Color to complement gray/taupe bedspread
Need a blue shade for walls
mutzymaggie