Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skamen

Curb Appeal Desparately Needed

skamen
11 years ago
As you can see this house is ugly. We can't make any major structural changes, like an addition on the right side. What would make this house look better? Should I plant a big tree on the right side to balance it out? Take out the sliding glass door? If I keep it, what kind of railing would look good? Any help would be great! Thanks in advance.

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    11 years ago
    A tree on the right is a great idea for balance, and I'm wondering if you'd have any use for a roof deck?
  • lefty47
    11 years ago
    HI - I'm afraid your stuck with it, if your not able to put anything into it , structurally. What it truly needs is to replace the roof on the right side to raise the pitch. This was a poor addition with no thought to the style of the house . It looks like it was done by a home handyman without an architect , and now it will cost to fix it. It won't hide behind a tree- it will help a bit but not really.It also won't help by removing things from the left side. Get some prices for the proper roof and consult with an architect for a plan. Plant a tree or two anyway because the landscaping needs it. When all else fails you could add a roof deck on the right side and have a railing like the one on the left and have another patio door onto it, but this will maybe cost more than the new pitched roof.
  • rosalynhutton
    11 years ago
    I think a paint job would work wonders for this house. A rich deep taupe color for the body of the house with pure white trim, new wrought iron railing painted black for the deck, black outdoor light fixtures and a glossy black paint job on the front door, with new hardware, if it is in your budget. I would also bulk up the pillar near the front door to make it look more important. I like the idea of replacing the glass sliding door with a French door, painted in white. The vent in the wall above the slider could be dressed up with a better looking frame around it. I would also hang a decorative wall "object" such as a wrought iron piece on the wall to the right of the new French door, centered on the end of the railing. It should be a fairly large piece to balance the deck and to be seen from the street. I like the idea of a tree planted on the lawn to the right, but don't center it on the right side of the house. Take a picture of the front of your house to your local nursery and ask them to recommend new plants for under the windows of the house on the right. I think a symmetrical design with all of the same plants would look great. A flower bed surrounding the new tree would add some color to your yard, too.
  • PRO
    Joseph I. Mycyk Architects, Inc.
    11 years ago
    I will always agree with consulting with an Architect for discussing your options based what you believe your budget to be.

That being said, I would suggest you keep the sliding door. Depending what's behind the solid wall to the right of the slididng door, consider adding horzontal windows (matching the first floor).

Consult with a landscaper.

If your budget and your consultation with an Architect indicates a roof deck is possibility then only do so if you think you will make use of the roof deck. Don't do a roof deck for any other reason.
  • PRO
    Business_Name_Placeholder
    11 years ago
    Wow. I love that, ourfarmhouse. Beautiful! Take a look at my discussion. I have a 1970's split level that's similar in style to your house. I hired a designer to produce our plans for our remodel and I have a picture under my "discussions" section. It was really worth it to have someone work with roof pitches and design something that will look less like a box attached to a box. I'm just struggling with countertop and flooring choices. So, I understand budgets as well. At least ourfarmhouse's suggestions gives you some ideas for the future if it's not in the budget at present. This looks fabulous and has lots of potential.
  • PRO
    Susan Mills Design
    11 years ago
    Once again a round of applause for our farmhouse, brilliant!
  • Stacy
    11 years ago
    ourfarmhouse - what a wonderful solution. Beautiful!