Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irenale

New curved sofa: keep it or sell it?

Irenale Keller
9 years ago
I started to decorate the living room of my new house. After I got the dining set (which I love) I decided I first need to find the sofa and then look for everything else. I had a very difficult time with the sofa because my wall in the living room is curved and there is very limited availability of curved sofas. Most of them are too modern looking (which I don't think would go with my house's style). So I ordered this sofa online and now not sure if it was the right choice. Should I try and sell it and look for another one? If I keep it - what would go best with it/around it? Thanks a lot!

Comments (129)

• PRO
    allyssa
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I liked how the furniture was arranged on photo #2. Looks just right.

Other suggestions to improve the look for the room...
    1.Change a different standing lamp to something more modern and put it in the exact spot (or use two table lamps with glass base) on both sides of the couch.
    2. Change the color of the railing, preferly in espresso
    3. Place a large mirror (starburst/Horchow mirror maybe) over the couch. (either in gold or silver will work).
    You can hang them even if the wall is curved, hang the mirror at the ends, not on center (there will be a space in between the mirror and the wall).
    4. Get espresso side tables and coffee table
    Irenale Keller thanked allyssa
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    With curved walls. It's best to float furn out from walls. Never buy furn on line that you can not see first. The color does nothing against those walls. Don't be in a rush to buy. Take your time. These are important decisions. Your room looks big. So think scale. A sectional may have been a better choice. What is room used for?
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    Your dining table has a modern look to it. I like the curve of the seats on chairs. Good job. Are you keeping wall color?
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    Walls look cream, but other pic they look gray. What is area behind wall of sofa? Is a TV going somewhere here? Sofa could go in that room with TV on back wall. Sofa looking at it. Back to table. Remove any small items on walls. With very high ceilings you have to think BIG! TALL. Huge art pieces. Z Galleries is great for art and Furn.
  • Irenale Keller
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Nancy, you are right! I was expecting the sofa to be lighter but there were so few curved options...

That is why I'm asking if I should try and sell it. I did find another sofa I liked but I'm not sure about it either, because it's much smaller than the one I have. I attach a picture of it.

I got dining chairs online too, and I LOVE them! You find so much more online...
  • Irenale Keller
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Behind the wall is the kitchen, but I do have another/family room with a TV, to the left, have a sofa there already.

The painting on the wall is temporary, I can't stand clean walls - I'm looking for a very tall triptych.

May be if I put the art right above the sofa it's not going to be so blended in...
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    Bring your baby grand into the center of the room. Angle slightly. With bench looking towards the front door. On that big wall where sofa was add a very big oil. Like I said before, ck Z Galleries. People cure should cover most of wall and hang low. Fill space with a big Palm in a black ceramic pot. Think very tall. On wall where piano was. PLace two small Armless chairs. In a black and white print like chevron pattern. Place side by side or add a small low round or rectangle table between. After you get furn pieces in then think of accessories and other items to warm up room. I think the piano as your focal point when first walking into home is very stunning. Use small rm behind sofa wall as a TV room. With a big 60" or bigger TV. Get a dark wood (like dining table) media to sit TV on. No need to hang on wall. Place a big 24" square coffee table In front of sofa. Dark wood or glass and metal. Place sofa so almost even with firepl. If Room add two swivel chairs in a print using sofa colors as a background color. Place on either side of coffee table. Is there carpet in that rm? Add a big piece of art bold Colors contemporary. On wall we see in pic. Plants a very good way to fill bare corners. No small items.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    Picture way too small think 5 ft by 6 ft. More contemporary. Your room already leaning that way.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    You need window covers. Get someone to come to house. Roman shades could work. Nothing on very high windows.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    Ok a kitchen. Hard to tell from photo. Sorry but still think that front rm is to small for sofa and chair looks out of place some how. I stay with putting piano in center of room. With big art behind it
    Irenale Keller thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • PRO
    Koral Boden
    9 years ago
    Have you thought about leaving the sofa against the wall and instead of using chairs use 2 ottomans facing the piano? This will keep the sight lines through the space but maximize seating and functionality of the space. If it were my space I would do a round end table on either side of the sofa, 2 colorful ottomans facing the piano a rug and a cocktail table in the middle. The other great thing about the ottomans is that if you need to move them for whatever reason you can do it easily and they don't take up a ton of space. I hope that helps!
    Irenale Keller thanked Koral Boden
  • Natalie
    9 years ago
    Hi---I haven't read all the comments, perhaps it's already been mentioned---but I think the layout would look fabulous if it were flipped-dining table/chairs at entry, curved sofa by the windows, etc. The piano could also be turned to face the FP. A huge chandelier above the table would add elegance and drama. Good Luck!
    [houzz=
    Bleeker · More Info
    ]
    Irenale Keller thanked Natalie
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    Option 3 but with two club chairs and a coffee table, no bench:
    Irenale Keller thanked groveraxle
  • Irenale Keller thanked groveraxle
  • Nancy Walton
    9 years ago
    Here's something that would be really fresh and contemporary:
    Irenale Keller thanked Nancy Walton
  • Tess Wakefield
    9 years ago
    I like Grovers last furniture arrangement. That looks more organic.
  • er612
    9 years ago
    What if you move your sofa halfway between option one and two? Then put an end table on the right side of the sofa and round coffee table or ottoman in front of the sofa.
    Irenale Keller thanked er612
  • PRO
    Jaimie K Designs Ltd
    9 years ago
    Hi Irenale looking at the images groveraxle has done, the space really looks like it could easily take a curved bench seat and in that position i would go for 1 arm chair at the end with lamp table and lamp. Another option is to have a bench seat to the right of the sofa (so as not to block the view to the piano)and two arm chairs one directly to the left of the sofa and then one at an angle by the pillar.this will give maximum seating. Well done groveraxle hopefully those images will help in decisions. If you want to define the area better then add in an area rug maybe same as the carpet with a simple black border, look at the rug company for beautiful bespoke rugs. You do need to add a little subtle colour to add a bit of warmth. Once you have decided on art work you can draw from that.
    Irenale Keller thanked Jaimie K Designs Ltd
  • PRO
    K&N Appliance Gallery
    9 years ago
    Hi!

We think that you should keep it.

Best of luck!

-K&N Sales
    Irenale Keller thanked K&N Appliance Gallery
  • Thea Angelova
    9 years ago
    Couch is beautiful, but I think the piano should go on its place.
  • Irenale Keller
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Ok, you people convinced me to try this 5th option with the piano upfront: I measured the couch and it should fit under the stairs, so I took photos from different angles and tried to Photoshop (the stuff is too heavy to start moving it around). Thanks so much for the tips on photoshop @groveraxle! Here is what I got.
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    I don't think it looks bad, but it seems like something is missing? Kind of like it's floating there. The sofa doesn't look bad there either, but seems like it would be very close to the dining room? Does it seem close when you measure? I guess I just liked the way you showed the layout before. :) Everyone is different, what are your thoughts..... that's the most important thing? :) Good Job with photoshop btw. :)
    Irenale Keller thanked zazfuzzroc
  • Thea Angelova
    9 years ago
    I thing that the piano look just right. May be if you move the couch, just reposition it a little bit, and see how it feels - half way back to the stairs and half to the wall facing the fireplace. In the corner behind the couch you can have a table, or a nice live tall plant (bamboo?) by the way, I love the yellow accent.
    Irenale Keller thanked Thea Angelova
  • Irenale Keller
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yes, the sofa is really close to the dining room, that was my initial problem with this arrangement. The piano might look a lot better on a round rug, but I am not as good at the photoshop yet :).
  • lamujerdegary
    9 years ago
    What an improvement adding more seating to the sofa will make. I realize you were just experimenting with the dining chairs :) Whatever you pick out to go with the sofa will be beautiful! You probably can see you need an end table or something to go between the chairs. Looks like you have a several options now! How fun!
    Irenale Keller thanked lamujerdegary
  • User
    9 years ago
    I like the sofa against the wall, with two chairs opposite it.
    Irenale Keller thanked User
  • dlanier1
    9 years ago
    I think the sofa suits the space, what's missing is the rest of the seating arrangement. It currently looks like a waiting room. It needs to look more inviting. A white sofa on a white wall doesn't say "come sit on me". First, I'd paint that wall. Make it a feature- it adds so much architecture to the space, make it really pop with color. Then add a small table, a couple of accent chairs and an a console table behind the pair of chairs. Or if you're really a risk taker- order the same sofa and place it directly across from the existing sofa with a coffee table between. You clearly have a lot of space an upscale style in your home- what's more upscale than two custom sofas.
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    Hi, hope you had a nice holiday. :) Saw this on a houzz stroll and thought of you. :)
    Neman Residence · More Info

How is the room coming along? Any new ideas? :)
  • Irenale Keller
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks, Zazfuzzroc! No new ideas, gonna keep the sofa by the wall. Looking for two chairs and a triptych to finish the sitting area, already got the mirror coffee table. Will post a picture when done with the room.

Happy holidays!!!
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    Hi, yes...I think it looks good by the wall. I'll be waiting to see. You do have a beautiful home. Have a nice new year! :)
  • Irenale Keller
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi everybody, my busy work period is over and I am back to my house design. I stained the rails in dark brown and I got the mirror coffee table but still working on the chairs and the art for the wall, because I want them to match.

I found some interesting pieces to put on the wall but not sure about it because it is somewhat colorless (and I envisioned some color on that wall). Here is a photo with the art, I still can return it, just trying it out, what do you think?

• everdebz
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I like it, and the calm patterns.... Especially because people will be sitting nearby, and much color might've overwhelmed conversation -- enlivened a party maybe -- and well the fireplace and other features seem to 'show'..... just a joke but maybe you bought out the store haha.

Irenale Keller thanked everdebz
  • Nancy Walton
    8 years ago

I don't care for it. It looks like wallpaper, and I think it is much too contemporary for your other furnishings. Maybe something large, so it makes a real statement.

Irenale Keller thanked Nancy Walton
  • PRO
    Furnish Plus
    8 years ago

Thats nice

Irenale Keller thanked Furnish Plus
  • PRO
    Jawahir Belmoh Ltd
    8 years ago
    Keep it but change its position. Better opposite or adjacently opposite the fire place
    Irenale Keller thanked Jawahir Belmoh Ltd
  • everdebz
    8 years ago

I think I recall a narrow area near the front door - unusual and modern with curved staircase. If the space isn't traditional, to me you don't need a traditional piece. Did anyone photoshop something?

• ashtonchic
    8 years ago

I think the art goes too far up the wall. Would a second sofa, like the first fit in the space? Is this space mainly for listening to the piano? Use a round ottoman as coffee table.

Irenale Keller thanked ashtonchic
  • ashtonchic
    8 years ago

Here is some large artwork from Etsy. So much original art to choose from at reasonable prices.

Original large XXL abstract fine art abstract art by ARTbyKirsten · More Info

Canvas Triptych Large Wall Art Abstract Seascape by klgphoto · More Info

ORIGINAL LARGE paintings Blue abstract art Modern by largeartwork · More Info

Irenale Keller thanked ashtonchic
  • Irenale Keller
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ashtonchic, I don't want to go with one big piece, the wall is really curved and beautiful and I don't want to hide the curve - I wan't to emphasize it, so I need multiple and narrow pieces. The problem that type of art is actually not easy to find, especially with vertical position, most of the multiples are horizontal. You can scroll up to see more photos of the room.

• everdebz
    8 years ago

You know how way up N.Walton posted art with chairs - is that what you mean by matching: the art very similar to the chairs?

• Irenale Keller
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Everdebz, yes that the idea - may be not completely matching but having the color of the chairs as an accent color on the art. Here is something I photoshoped before, but think it is too much color and the paintings are not real... In reality they are small and I am not even sure I can buy them (unless I just have them custom made).

• everdebz
    8 years ago

Yes, that'd be tough to find enough pieces for your wall. Just asking how you feel about placing art most of the way up, as opposed to placing only at couch/eye level.... honestly from where I sit, your art looks great. Oh, just wondered if you like seeing art from upstairs -- if we all could be there... :)

• Irenale Keller
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yeah, it's a huge wall, the last picture doesn't show the whole thing - actually the art is not going all the way up there.

• User
    8 years ago
    Wow, this is a very long thread, but did read your comment about buying a couch online as well as your dining chairs. You have a lovely space, but I feel your sofa is out of scale for the room. This is a perfect example of measuring and buying key furniture pieces that are in scale with the room.
    A professional designer could have come up with a plan for you for a couple hundred bucks. It would have saved you time and money to have a cohesive plan before buying things online, that may or may not be returned.
    Take your time, this is a huge space with very high ceilings. You need some dark pieces to ground the space as well as color and texture in your fabrics such as window coverings.
    Have you thought of wallpapering some of the walls to break up the vastness of the bare walls?
  • Irenale Keller
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Sandy, the couch wasn't a simple online buy, it was custom made online and actually a designer who came to my house suggested the measurements for it. I don't think it is out of scale, the room as really small, it's just tall but not big (you can see it on some other pictures in the thread). So I am pretty happy with the size of the couch, it fits the space perfectly, it's the color that I chose suddenly made me doubt if it was the right decision. I did have a couple of designers come in (with "a couple of thousand dollars" suggestions, not hundreds), but honestly I got some much better suggestions from the houzz folks. I still believe online buys give you a much better selection and price and I would still go with it, after all you can always resell it (I actually had people asking me if I want to sell the couch to them:).

Now I am not concerned about the couch anymore, I actually really like it now, it's the art piece that I am trying to find now... I just continued with it in this thread since a lot of people already know this space and also asked me to follow up with updates of what I did to the room.

• everdebz
    8 years ago

Yeah! [and not to contradict Sandy, but this is not a longggg thread, which is the way it goes....]

• Wendy Fatz
    8 years ago
    Is there a reason you can't float the couch between the pillars? Perhaps an appropriate sofa table at the carpet edge between pillars with couch in front, standing lamp, oval coffee table, beautiful large tryptic on wall with bold graphic and color. Finally two comfy wing backs with shared side table. Maybe a tall bookshelf on the wall to bring another height level into the room. Just a thought.
  • Irenale Keller
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Wendy, the pillars are right by the entrance door, may be 3 feet away.
  • User
    8 years ago
    Sorry I thought you said you bought the couch online. I meant for a few hundred dollars you could have had a designer help you with a furniture plan, not for the furniture of course. Have used many wonderful designers over the years and they don't order furniture online, but have showrooms and samples available to them through the trade.
    If you are happy with your sofa go for it. I find this forum very redundant at times, and think it is a hobby for some to pick out others furniture. If you have the time to rearrange furniture, and keep trying new ways to improve the space more power to you!
  • User
    8 years ago
    If I was unhappy with a custom made piece, my designer would make it right. I would never be able to recoup the money spent on a custom sofa, approximately $5,000-$7,000 by reselling it. A designer, who orders through the trade from a reputable furniture maker stands behind their product.
Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH