Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laura_sheppardson

Medicine cabinet shelf supports

I happened to get a Pottery Barn "Vintage" recessed medicine cabinet for a great price at one of their outlets. On installation I discovered that there is missing hardware. The shelves are tempered glass. The cabinet walls have small slits/loops which should hold some type of clip or bracket. I've been unable to find any photos in which these are visible. Most modern cabinets seem to use some variation of pegs, which clearly won't work here. I'd love to just buy the hardware, but after holding for 20 minutes with P.B. service and being cut off, and then holding for 10 minutes with no human answer, I think contacting them directly will have to wait until after the holidays. Does anybody out there have one they could provide a picture of?

Comments (45)

• User
    9 years ago
    Have you put the shelves in place? It looks like they might just rest on the thingies. I have an old medicine cabinet with a similar configuration.
  • PRO
    Maltby Design
    9 years ago
    There's no hardware. The glass shelves sit on those metal lips.
  • Laura Sheppardson
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    That was my original assumption, but the shelves are too short to sit on those metal lips.
  • PRO
    Maltby Design
    9 years ago
    perhaps they gave you the wrong shelves. It would probably be easier to get glass cut to size than track down unknown hardware. Take the measurements you need and pop by your local glass shop. They'll be able to cut you shelves in no time at all. Be sure to ask for ground edges so you don't have sharp edges.
  • ajooshie
    9 years ago

I have that cabinet too, this is what the extra piece looks like. It slips in the the loops on the side of cabinet and the glass fit above the two wings. Except I have yet to find these in any hardware store but I'm still looking. Good luck

• Taylor
    8 years ago

i'm having the same problem with the PB kensington medicine cabinet with the exact same problem. it came with a mini L shaped metal piece with a rubber pad but i only had 1 and then lost it trying to find something at Lowe's that would work. i think you can take a thing strip of metal and bend it with pliers into an L shape and add a clear rubber foot/ pad (you may need to cut it down). the glass shelves then sit on it. good luck!

• Taylor
    8 years ago

by the way, customer service won't help since the brackets don't show up as a replacement part... and if you bought it at the outlet which is what i did too.

• lavenderwater
    8 years ago

Hi - I'm having the same problem, but I purchased my vintage style medicine cabinet from Pottery Barn online and the shelf supports are missing from the box as well. Thanks for posting a pic of the clip! If anyone finds replacement parts, please let me know. Needing all six.:) We are in Canada and would have to drive the medicine cabinet back to the US to get a replacement unit.

• brian418
    8 years ago

I have been calling PB once a week to try and get replacements. I thought my contractor threw them out-maybe they were never in the box? This is too expensive to be missing pieces! I am out of my mind that I cannot use this cabinet.

• essmith2
    8 years ago
    PB should fix this situation for all of you. This is neither good customer service nor good press.
  • User
    8 years ago
    I would send it back to Pottery Barn. It is missing pieces!
  • brian418
    8 years ago

I am debatiing what to do. Just hoping they do the right thing. The customer service people have been helpful but no one can get the pieces! This cabinet was $350. I would never pay more money to have glass shelves made!

• brian418
    8 years ago

Pottery Barn came through! They could not get the missing pieces from the manufacturer. So they sent me another mirror! Because mine was already installed, they told me to take the pieces I needed, wrap up the box and they sent UPS the next day to come get the mirror! I can now use my medicine cabinet!

• Dianne Hunt
    8 years ago

I too have the same problem. Found them on a web site called Architectural Salvage Inc. Just wrote them, waiting for an answer. You guys have made me feel like I'm not alone. We should talk to Home Depot about selling them. Sure theirs others like us.

• brian418
    8 years ago

You have to get the ones pottery barn has. The others will not fit. I would contact Pottery barn

• rberry1209
    8 years ago

wow moved into a condo with the cabinets with no shelves or clips like the ones you are talking about if anyone finds the clips and the shelving let me know. my e-mail is rberry1209@gmail.com

• brian418
    8 years ago

I had to contact Pottery Barn and they sent me new ones.

• Emily Schannep
    8 years ago

Has anyone had an issue with the mirrored door on the Vintage Recessed Medicine Cabinet from PB not having enough clearance on the wall the cabinet is mounted in, that the door hits the wall and won't open a full 90 degrees? We just got ours and are installing them now and the door only opens about 60 degrees and then the bottom left corner hits the wall and leaves a mark.

• lindsw7
    8 years ago

Hi eschannep,

we are having the SAME exact issue. We had our professionally installed and even the contractor was surprised. Not sure what we are going to do. Can you tell me if you figured out a solution? Thanks!,

• shelby63lady
    7 years ago

Would love to see if anyone else found these clips. We remodeled a small bath and the old medicine cabinet and had 3 clips and no glass shelves so I am need of at least 3 clips and 3 glass shelves if anyone knows who sells them. Thanks!!

• User
    7 years ago
    You can have glass shelves made very easily at a glass shop. Not sure about the clips, sorry.
  • 30chickens
    7 years ago

Thinking of getting this. Did you figure out the install issues?

• Karen Lichty
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I found the clips!! http://www.bascoinc.com/ $1.50 per pair, specify piano hinge or european hinge

• katkiki
    5 years ago

If anyone has not found the clips I have enough for two shelves out of an old medicine cabinet I am throwing away.

• lppkids
    5 years ago

I have the same issue with a jenson medicine cabinet! going crazy trying to find them, have had cabinet in for a year with no shelves because I don't have the little clips that slide in

• lppkids
    5 years ago

katkiki would love your clips...i am at lppkids@hotmail.com

• lynn2235
    4 years ago
    Eschannep and lindsw7,
    Just installed the cabinet and have the same problem. How’d you fix it? Thanks.
  • kenphilr
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I just installed a vintage Miami Carey Medicine Cab. Any one have these Aluminum shelf brackets?

• PRO
    Basco Inc
    4 years ago

Please note that while the information "I found them" and Basco is in this post we do not supply our components on any other brand. We apologize that if a home owner was able to purchase them it was in error and is no longer permitted. A photograph of our label and a photograph of a shelf clip is required now to purchase them. Basco.

• Ché Pressnall
    3 years ago

anyone ever find a solution to this?

• Trinity B
    3 years ago

Please help with the support clips. I have this same problem too. Has anyone figured out where to get these clips? I need six pairs.

• HU-922255707
    2 years ago

I am also in this club. Purchased the cabinet a while ago for a house renovation project that got delayed due to Covid. My contractor finally installed the cabinet, but the clips were missing. It is worthless without the glass shelves. Was on the phone with Pottery Barn for over an hour yesterday trying to come up with a solution, but no luck! This is insane!

• Laura Sheppardson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I went to my hardware store and bought some plastic tubing, which I split and cut to fit the ends of each shelf. I’ve been doing well for several years now

• HU-922255707
    2 years ago

Does the tubing just rest on the slats?

• Laura Sheppardson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes. The little loops that would hold clips protrude enough to hold up the shelf.

• HU-922255707
    2 years ago

Great, thanks!

• jfscianna
    2 years ago

I am in a similar predicament except I don't have the glass shelves, either. Has anyone had any luck purchasing replacement shelves from PB?

• lauraj01
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Hi! I too have the pottery barn vintage medicine cabinet. I wanted to add a 3rd shelf to mine, and found brackets on eBay 15mm x 11mm x 12mm Fixing Clip Bracket Holder Right Angle w Suction Cup 50Pcs 714998085696 | eBay. The eBay brackets are the same size, but stainless rather than bronze colored, and they have a suction cup rather than a tiny foam pad. Otherwise, I think these are a perfect fit. The photo are the clips that came with the cabinet.

• lauraj01
    2 years ago

Brackets arrived and they fit beautifully! Top photo is of the brackets that came with the cabinet. Lower photo is of the replacement brackets.

• michelle abell
    2 years ago

Pottery Barn Item no. 4501433

"Vintage shelf Pegs"

• HU-8592516404
    last year

OMG same issue all these years later! 1 kit not in sealed box. Pottery BArn not so helpful.

found on amazon with link above. Actually bought 2 cabinets . Just missing 1 set of screws and 8 pegs. Thanks for all the ideas.

• Cynthia Landes
    last year

The brackets/shelf rests that came with my PB outlet cab are identical to the ones posted above in black/bronze w/ the plastic pad, just white. However, they do NOT engender any confidence of the shelf remaining in place safely and securely since the shelves are 17 3/4" length, which is too short and they are too thin! They should have been 18" or 18 1/16". So, I went to a local glass shop, had 4 shelves cut in 1/4" glass and they seat MUCH better on the brackets - $12 for four 1/4" thick glass shelves. The fellow at the glass shop said the shelf I brought him from the PB cabinet, was NOT tempered glass and that most med. cab. shelves aren't. I'm currently experimenting with the suction type brackets from Amazon to get something even more secure than a longer and thicker shelf: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B28ZGP84?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Truly unconsiconiable that PB has not remedied this design flaw in that it's dangerous as is. There should be something the shelf slides into to hold it in place rather than it resting on something, I love the cabinet and while it's good-looking and substantial - it's truly unsafe and an expensive mistake that I will continue to try and remedy. If this were to be used in a child's bathroom I'd remove it immediately. Good luck to everyone with their remedy endeavors.

• Devon Costello
    3 months ago

These clips fit perfect from Amazon !

• Devon Costello
    3 months ago

Pottery barn was useless they are the worst