Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
a145263

Our plans, any suggestions?

a145263
9 years ago
We worked with a builder and came up with these plans. We wanted an open floor split layout. Wondering if anyone sees anything they'd change or could improve. In the laundry/mud room we are adding a door to the bathroom and a closet that will take away from the walk-in closet. Other than that, it's pretty close.

Comments (44)

• eloise330
    9 years ago
    Unless you add skylights or some sort of translucent materials to the covered deck outside the living/ dining areas, your interior rooms are going to be dark. A pergola might also make it a little brighter inside, but won't provide all weather use for the deck.if you like it light, bright, and airy looking this deep covered deck needs to be addressed.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    9 years ago
    I would keep the kitchen peninsula flushed with the wall beside the entry so one doesn't need to walk around the counters every time from one end of the house to another.
  • a145263
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The covered part of the deck is a gable end that will be open and not covered with soffit. That's probably a poor description but it will be post and beam style.
  • a145263
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The deck is also south facing so we should have decent light.

That's an interesting view on the island. Thanks. We will consider that.
  • Carol Johnson
    9 years ago
    Can you move the kitchen window so it is more centered on the wall?

I'd consider a two island kitchen layout instead of the peninsula & island.
  • delyanks
    9 years ago
    Very stream lined. You will enjoy it.
  • a145263
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Carol, I just realized that in the plan the window isn't closer to the center. In the elevation views it is but on floor plan it obviously isn't. Good eye, we will have to look at that.
  • a145263
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Delyanks, thanks! We tried to have as little wasted floor space as possible.
  • PRO
    PPF.
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I'd rethink the kitchen. The refrigerator is around the island away from the cooktop.The master bath seems a bit tight. Where will your bath towels hang? No windows -- if you switched the shower and toilet, you could have a window in the toilet compartment.Post a plan showing your changes to the laundry/master bath area for better comments.
  • a145263
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hey PPF, I'd like good counter space next to the cooktop so that has caused a dilemma for us. The only thing I could think of would be to put the double wall oven "not in the plans" in the corner to the left of the cooktop and move the fridge next to that along the front wall. It won't actually be a subzero fridge.

Here is what was suggested to add a closet to the mud room/utility room. Dimensions do not reflect the changes.
  • a145263
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    We also considered having s window up high in the walk in shower. Due to us wanting the large mud room/utility room and the walk in pantry off the kitchen we've limited ourselves as far as how much room we have for changes to master layout.
  • PRO
    PPF.
    9 years ago
    On the kitchen. Everyone uses the kitchen differently, so it's difficult making suggestions, but what I see is.

Storage -- refrigerator and pantry far from the cooking area. Sink far from dining area. Restricted opening into kitchen. Island seems to be there to fill up the kitchen (other than use as a counter next to the refrigerator). A standard refrigerator will protrude into the kitchen and cause the island to be repositioned, and maybe the peninsula counter to be shortened.

Suggest going through the motions of preparing and serving meals, then cleanup.

Dishes and silverware on the outside wall away from where they are used?
  • PRO
    The Virginia Gail Collection
    9 years ago
    Consider one large island in the kitchen with a secondary sink. A peninsula often creates a traffic bottleneck at the end and having an island will open up the traffic flow.
  • a145263
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I understand the bottle neck issue. My thought was that the island would be the prep area and the peninsula would be a serving/entertaining area. It would be nice to not have the one entrance to the kitchen but it seems like removing the 45° angle part by the cooktop would result in too small of an island for more than a couple of people to sit.

My wife and I currently live in a cabin that's 768 square feet! We aren't sure what dimensions would be good but don't wanna regret having something a few feet too small down the road.

Is an island sink that useful?
  • PRO
    PPF.
    9 years ago
    Could you post the kitchen area larger so dimensions are readable?
  • a145263
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Maybe this is large enough.
  • a145263
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The last one looks blurry for some reason.. Try this.
  • PRO
    PPF.
    9 years ago
    One idea. Gives access to the utility room from kitchen, or could keep the walk in pantry.
  • PRO
    PPF.
    9 years ago
    This one extends the entry wall out about where the penunsula would be, giving additional counter around the cooktop, and shifts the entire kitchen towards the utility room. This makes room for some shallow storage in the entry hall, and provides a recess for the refrigerator so it does not protrude into the kitchen.
  • emilyam819
    9 years ago
    I like the idea to make an entry to the utility room, PPF. For a large kitchen, it seemed so closed off, like a dead end, especially with the peninsula.
  • a145263
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I like the idea of the bar/island seating but my wife says she wants the island and a bar. I'm adjusting the plan myself trying to figure out how to take out the corner of the peninsula and have a bar with seating there and then the work island in the center. We love the walk-in pantry and don't want to lose that but we are open to moving appliances around as needed. I have imagined cooking at the cooktop and serving people at the peninsula. That's the reason it ended up like that.

Why do you suggest avoiding a corner fireplace?
  • PRO
    PPF.
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Keep us posted as the design evolves. Always interesting to follow along.
  • a145263
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Will do. Thank you for your help! At this point I'm using a pencil and whiteout to redo the plans until we find something we think will work. I'll post once we do.
  • PRO
    PPF.
    9 years ago
    I was thinking about a walk through pantry, with a small door into the utility room. My plan has lots of storage in the kitchen, so losing some in the pantry would be offset by it.

People sitting at the island may interact with the cook, and others in the living/dining, instead of having their backs to the action.

People on Houzz seem to universally dislike corner fireplaces. One seems to work for your plan, I believe. TV left of FP. Both are visible from living and dining.
  • emilyam819
    9 years ago
    What kind of serving do you want to do at the peninsula? Because if it is a tiered bar, you can't really spread out a buffet. You can only have as many people eating as there are seats. Maybe a regular height peninsula would work better for you.

Agree with PPF - a walk in pantry does not necessarily give you more storage.

Somewhere, you need another entrance into the kitchen area.
  • PRO
    PPF.
    9 years ago
    This is what I envisioned when I first looked at your plan. Not sure of your dimensions.
  • a145263
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here is what we've came up with so far with the suggestions that a peninsula would make it feel too constricted.
  • emilyam819
    9 years ago
    That's nice!
    The window & sink are much better now, not crushed in the corner.
    Maybe just me -I don't like corner wall cabinets that don't have regular wall cabinets connected on both sides, like the one next to the pantry entrance. It would make using the counter beneath it difficult, too, since the base cabs do not turn the corner. You could go with regular wall cabinets there.
    a145263 thanked emilyam819
  • a145263
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Emilyam819, we didn't even notice we had put a corner cabinet in there! I'm still learning how to utilize the program we have and some things aren't exactly how we want but I cannot figure out how to change them. Ha. We updated that and noticed another corner base cabinet on the right side that didn't make sense.

I also do like the raised bar area with the L-shape vs the original peninsula we had.
  • emilyam819
    9 years ago
    Oh, good! Yes, this plan is much better than the peninsula plan and I like seating on 2 sides.
  • lefty47
    9 years ago
    HI -- About not having a corner fireplace ... it makes doing furniture placements difficult .... designers hate them !
  • PRO
    PPF.
    9 years ago
    I'd try to get the refrigerator, sink and cooktop closer.

Ovens are often placed out of the way as they generally are not used as much as other appliances, and things usually stay in an oven for long periods.

They seem awkward in their current location.

The eating island reads a bit like an afterthought, and appears too close to the cabinets beside it.

Looks like you are using one of the Home Designer titles. Post over at https://hometalk.chiefarchitect.com/ for help on the software.
  • a145263
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here's some work we've been doing with the bathroom/mud room area.

We did end up moving the fireplace to the center of the wall.

PFF, the only place to move the ovens to would be where the refrigerator is located which seems awkward to me. We do a lot of searing in a skillet then finishing in the oven. Our layout doesn't give us many options but we like the layout as far as exterior walls go.

We are indeed using Home Designer. Thanks for the tip.
  • a145263
    Original Author
    9 years ago
  • everdebz
    9 years ago
    Two-sided fireplace to be privately enjoyed in bedroom, possible even? as well as living room.

You might have an outdoor faucet on wall of laundry plumbing, but could save a wee bit if you moved it to common wall with bathroom [and its plumbing].
  • PRO
    PPF.
    9 years ago
    You might place the ovens under counter, or even in the corner. Where will your microwave go?
  • a145263
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I had placed the ovens in the corner but wasn't sure how useful that would be or if it'd end up being awkward getting stuff in and out of the kitchen. We are planning on having a microwave drawer in the island.
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    9 years ago
    PPF, nice job!

Generally, too much space on this plan is devoted to hallways, which are entirely wasted space (but don't have to be, as in PPF's plan). This is a common fault in many current designs, as smaller houses are modeled on larger ones. Also, any time you use slanted walls in a design, you will lose space. S*
  • emilyam819
    9 years ago
    You could just swap the wall ovens and range, no? Put the ovens toward the end of the run. Then your movement around the kitchen would be fridge/pantry, sink, range, oven.
  • a145263
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Sstarr, are you saying that you think my plan has too much space devoted to hallways? I feel like we've created a plan using about the least amount of wasted space as possible while still getting the features we wanted such as a walk in laundry/mud room from the garage that could be closed off.

Emilyam819, we've played with that arrangment but don't really like it. We both think we'd like for the cooktop to be towards the end so we can see into the living and dining rooms. I could be wrong but I think the waythe kitchen is designed that it would create work stations in the kitchen around the island.
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    9 years ago
    that's my opinion, yes. I see why you have used them, but I think based on the size of the house, you would be better off eliminating as much hall as possible. Particularly the slanted back hall.
  • emilyam819
    9 years ago
    Sorry to throw in a completely different option - similar to one of PPF's earlier plans, though. Better sight lines, especially if you open the dining room to the foyer. Dining area in original plans seems HUGE.
  • Lori
    9 years ago
    I love Emily's plan! I think this is such a better use of the space.