Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ianmcphail

Beautiful space for patio/outdoor kitchen: Need Help!!

ianmcphail
11 years ago
we have a beautiful natural landscaped back yard and the landscaping needs replacing. Terraced large stone hill allows for a waterfall, need outdoor kitchen and large patio as we entertain up to 40 people. All comments much appreciated! Please see attached photos for picturing current situation.

Comments (12)

• Jamieson
    11 years ago
    Wow, what a beautiful space! Let's see if we can get some people to start offering some suggestions. For entertaining I think a roofed pergola would be a start, it would offer refuge from extreme sun and the occasional rain shower. Your outdoor kitchen could be accommodated underneath the pergola as pictured. I like the look of natural flagstone with the retaining wall, and think this could work in your situation. If permitted an outdoor fireplace would extend your enjoyment of your backyard during chillier seasons! Hope this helps, and keep us posted!
    Portland Landscaping Outdoor Living · More Info
  • ianmcphail
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Really appreciate the feedback, this will be an extremely satisfying project if design can be developed. i have added a quick layout to pictures, part of the challenge is there isnt a huge amount of room between the house and terraced rock so a covered area doesnt look great, better in open space. We would prefer to keep the open space where a pergoda would look great unfortunately. The rock has is terraced with 2- 6 ft levels then 3- 3 ft levels. We are from a smaller city and though we have qualified landscapers there is a real lack of qualified landscape designers. Let's let the ideas flow!
  • Jamieson
    11 years ago
    I'd be tempted to extend your pergola over your patio area, and maybe locate your outdoor kitchen under the small pergola. Wondering where the other Houzzers are? This is a great project, and thanks for attaching such a detailed plan! Okay, if that doesn't get them to bite (Houzzers) I don't know what will?...We love pictures and plans!
  • ianmcphail
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    hope to hear from them soon!
  • PRO
    garden design online
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    A good landscaping need enough opinions include opposed advice.the pergola cut a landscape visual feeling to two,should relocate it.The patio is so small and formal box shape,could redo it,we design the patio a "S" shape along back yard foundation line.need to add some evergreen vine,shrub on the rock wall.the waterfall should locate wider space. if you need,I take some time design some different style visual pics.a panoramic shot is good.
  • ianmcphail
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Excellent, i welcome the input and would like to see what you have in mind, attached is a picture of the front of the house to get stying.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    Wow, this is such a well landscaped house to begin with. I agree with Jamieson for some entertaining space.
  • PRO
    garden design online
    11 years ago
    Here is a un-render pic.If you need,I can take time to do more different style pics again.
  • Diann
    11 years ago
    ian what part of the country is your lovely house . I LOVE the back yard as it is, the landscaping is great front and back.. But I agree with the guys here, outdoor space for entertaining is needed just hope you don't lose that wonderful wall, I just love it.
  • ianmcphail
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    We are southwestern Ontario so have beautiful summers and cold winters, dont worry there is about 60 ton of stone in the wall so it is staying!
  • ianmcphail
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    i am having a little difficulty picturing so different style pics would be great
  • Diann
    11 years ago
    we have good friends who live in a little town called Clinton Ontario . I just love your home . I know your winters are extremely cold there . Our friends who are from Clinton come winter in Fl . Hopefully you will get the look you want but I love it now but then again thats just me. In the one pic looks to be a seating area near the steps can you add another pic but further away from that space? Looks very welcoming there and peaceful.