Help- Buying house with vaulted master bedroom - how to paint and decorate?
tomkobak
Hi - buying a house that a single older woman has been living in. Want to update with cool/inviting look/relaxing for this for master bedroom. These photos are of current - before moving in.

Any color and decorating considerations

Has vaulted ceiling.. how do you treat that so room is warm and inviting?
Any help, ideas, comments appreciated!

Thanks -- Tom K.
HI - Well Tom -congrats again on the new place and on your new life. So this bedroom should be a little masculine and a little girlie and definetly romantic, right ? You could do the ceilings like I said for your living and family rooms ,- with the beams and maybe the wood boards between . You didn't say what the room size is but you might have room for a ventless fireplace - this is the romantic thing . You could put your bed on either wall - but where the former owner had hers ,looks fine to me - your choice. I don't think I will say a wall color - I have a feeling your new bride will want a say on that . But if you are going tha have an area rug , then start with your color and decorating plans from that . After the area rug , you choose what the bedding is going to be. Best Wishes and Good Luck, Tom .
June 3, 2012 at 6:22pm     
michigammemom
One of my favorite houzz bedrooms...warm gray walls, an upholstered headboard, hardwood floors and sumptuous but not fussy bed linens.
A far cry from the Pepto Bismol pink:)
June 3, 2012 at 6:40pm     
Jamieson
Check out this photo of a vaulted master bedroom. This beige makes a great backdrop to the eclectic furnishings and crisp linens. Not too masculine, not too feminine...just right! Suggest you get your future better half's opinion! Good luck, and congrats!
June 4, 2012 at 5:50pm     
yvonnecmartin
We have a collection of antique quilts made by various family members in the decades ago. I hung one in our master bedroom and one in the guest bedroom. If you are lucky enough to have access to one, use it. With crisp modern furniture and no other pattern in the room it works as a large abstract "painting"--depending on the quilt pattern, of course. It adds softness, but the size keeps it from being too cute.
June 4, 2012 at 6:17pm     
Hi Tom,
I have a bit of an obsession with vaulted ceiling (and attic) bedrooms. They are my favorites. Here's one, like Jamieson's, with a warm gray making it inviting. I have a whole ideabook full of vaulted ceiling bedrooms if you go to my ideabook page.

June 4, 2012 at 6:26pm     
tomkobak
Wow... thank you to everyone for your comments.

Have been traveling so just able now to respond. Really very cool to post this and get caring answers and creative ideas! Really helpful.

I like the color ideas of a beige or warm gray and other ideas like beams or specific color rug or quilt... and also from everyone get the sense should be a good blend between not too masculine or feminine.

Oh... one question ... do you paint the ceiling the same color as the walls, or white or maybe a different color?

Thanks again!!!! -- Tom
June 7, 2012 at 6:50pm   
Barnhart Gallery
If it's a light to medium neutral, including the ceiling can make a tall room cozier. Congrats!
June 7, 2012 at 7:04pm     
Mint Design
I always paint a vaulted ceiling the same color as the walls. Otherwise the room tends to take of the height of the lowest end of the ceiling. I like the pale grey. Just about any color will go with it. Is there a wood floor hiding under the carpet? If not, I would consider having wood installed and using complementary rugs. The most important part of a romantic bedroom are the bed linens. Really good ones will last a lifetime if cared for properly. I suggest a trip to Pratesi or Frette....not their hotel labels, the luxury line! Ditto on the bath linens. Congratulations Tom!
June 7, 2012 at 8:18pm     
tomkobak
Hi barnhartgallery and Mint Design - thanks for ideas about painting. And the thought of painting the ceiling same color as walls... so long as not too dark. Do want to make the room cozier so that may be way to go.

Thank you!
June 9, 2012 at 7:56am   
Mint Design
You are so welcome. I hope you will post photos of the room as you progress! :)
Again, congratulations!
June 11, 2012 at 6:57am   
Need help with master bedroom decor + paint
Would love ideas for paint palette for main walls,...
Help with Master bedroom paint color and decoration ideas
We're moving to a new house and would like some ideas...
Need help for vaulted ceilings, paint all around and decor ideas
My two eldest children have finally moved out on their...
How do I decorate this master bedroom?
This is the wall the king bed faces. We have been advised...
How to Decorate Master Bedroom with Seating Area
I'm having trouble coming up with design ideas for...
Does anyone know what tile this is??
This is tile out of a house that was bought as a flip...
Choppy co-oop floor plan
How do you design living room given small space and...
please help to choose granite countertops for oak cabinets
We are thinking to put on emerald pearl granite vs...
Am I heading in the right direction?
My goal is cottage style with craftsman influences....
Any help for my room? Thanks!!!
Hi, I'm hannah, I am going to be a junior this year...