Need Kitchen Update Advice but on a Tight Budget
katycc79
I posted the following a few weeks ago and have finally taken some pictures to help demonstrate my problem - any suggestions are much appreciated!

I have a very dated kitchen that I thought I would be able to update after we moved in, but things have changed and now we don't have the budget to do any renovations for a while. We have laminate cabinets and countertops - yes, it's quite ugly! And I'm sure you've all seen this 70's/early 80's style - the cream color laminate with the "wood" at the bottom and edges. Luckily, it's large and very functional - however, I'm getting the itch to do something in there. I really can't afford to replace or even reface the cabinets right now. We have a lot of cabinets so I don't want to take on painting them if it's not worth the effort. Does anyone have a suggestion? Or experience painting this type of surface?

I'm definitely going to paint the walls. The color of the walls right now is a yellowish cream as well - it kind of all blends together - the walls, counters, and cabinets - can be quite dreary. I really love blues/greens and grey - and right now I really love the combo of very pale aqua (almost greyish with blue/green) and navy. I'm a blue and white lover but not in the old fashioned/formal style. If anyone saw the cover of Coastal Living lately - I'm in LOVE with that room. It inspires me. I'm open to any suggestions - even just a cool wall color or something. I appreciate any feedback! I can take some pictures if someone would like to see it and send any ideas - thanks!!
gullsend
Strip and bleach the oak trim on the cabinetry and then whitewash a stain over the bleached oak, seal with polyurethane. Paint all woodwork with a creamy off-white, (use a sealer like "Bin" first. Choose a color that works with your laminate color but is lighter. You can then go with a wall paint color of your liking (perhaps an aqua blue-green that works with the creamy laminate color. You can make this "do" until you can remake the the design with only the cost of paint supplies.
1 Like   June 4, 2012 at 3:27PM
Faireden
Yes, easy to paint! Clean super well and prime. Have to prime to get paint to stick. Bulls Eye 123 is a great primer and easy to clean up, it's water soluble. Now, you have to decide if you want oil based paint or water. Pros to using water based paint: easy to work with, super easy to clean up, less drying time, doesn't smell as much. Oil is the opposite of all those considerations, but it will look better and last longer. Your choice! Choose a semi-gloss and have fun. If you remove the doors make sure you mark where they go so you can put them back in the same place.

A modern color combination that sounds like it may appeal to you would be to paint the cabinets a medium to soft gray, with just a hint of blue in it. The walls a very pale gold (not yellow). Paint the island a deeper richer gray, I have a SW fan deck in front of me so I'll tell you the colors that I am thinking of but you have to pick out what suits you and your room. Walls Vanilla SW6371, cabinets Comfort Gray SW6205, island Retreat SW6207. Accent with the aqua that you love. I think these color families will look great with your white counter tops. Very coastal color, driftwood and sand, and the aqua is the water.
1 Like   June 4, 2012 at 3:54PM
mrsbibelhausen
It is nice to at least have a large enough space! Since you can paint the cabinets I would definitely recommend it! I know you can also paint the countertops if you just want to get this a nice, new clean color!
Use this: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/for-your-home/personal-color-viewer to help you with colors - it's a great tool!
For a few easy updates: Change the rug! Keep artwork in the style you want (I think you said more contemporary/modern). Minimize clutter to help it seem bigger!
Beautiful space though - enjoy :)
Here's a few ideas I thought of:
Waikiki Chic 2
MWDA Before & After
2 Likes   June 4, 2012 at 5:58PM
yvonnecmartin
In my opinion, just getting the wood to match the cabinets will go a long way to updating the kitchen. Once you pick a nice blue or green or sage for the walls, you will be surprised how nice it looks. You might also consider putting stainless handles on the cabinets. You are lucky to have such a large and functional kitchen. I love the corner sink and the island.
2 Likes   June 4, 2012 at 6:11PM
katycc79
Thanks so much for all the feedback! I've attached a picture of the inspiration room just so you can see what I was thinking about in case anyone has any additional specific color suggestions, etc. It's the blue and white bedroom picture. I've also attached a couple of other pictures that inspire me for color choices and feeling I'm looking for.

And, yes - definitely need new rugs and I've already ordered some - I've attached an image of those as well - may spur some ideas???

Again, I really appreciate all of your advice!
0 Likes   June 5, 2012 at 8:10AM
katycc79
I just realized the rug picture I selected has several rugs in it - the one I ordered is the one on the floor in the picture that is two tones of blue. Also, my original inspiration picture is very small - I couldn't get it from the coastal living website any other way for some reason - there's a video that features this room but I couldn't find a full sized pictures. I hope you can at least see the colors and feeling. Thank again!!
0 Likes   June 5, 2012 at 8:12AM
mrsbibelhausen
Lovely! I would do the walls then in a blue tone related to the ones in the rug - maybe even just bring the rug to the paint store, or bring all the paint chips home and compare :) White cabinets, some slate gray, and even some orange (like that door) would look fabulous. Just make sure it's not too dark with the blues. Enjoy!
0 Likes   June 5, 2012 at 8:22AM
HI -- I have the same cabinets that were put in 1987 but the oak piece is wider on mine . I haven't done anything to mine yet . Waitng and can't make up my mind . The laminate color was called Almond . Benjamin Moore has a product they say will cover the laminate , no problem - it's all in the prep for a finish that will last . I like the look your going for, but painting the laminate is a lot of work ,so maybe, just painting the oak strip ( after a good sanding) the same almond color or even a glossy dark color ( black ?) and adding new chrome hardware would look nice . Then put the teal/blue color on the wall. I think this would look nice until you do your remodeling. I like the rug choice maybe one of my favorite blues will go with it . Ben Moore "amsterdam blue ". When it is time to redo your kitchen then think about a better layout. The corner sink like the one you have , was very in at that time, and I hated them and a lot of kitchen companys were putting them in even when they didn't have too. Also if you will be getting new appliances , they will not fit in the old spaces , most are differant sizes today. I hope you post pictures , when your done. It might push me to do my kichen , it sure is time.
0 Likes   June 5, 2012 at 9:06AM
katycc79
I"ll have to admit that I am a bit daunted by the thought of painting all of the cabinets we have - it's a lovely thing to have a lot of cabinets but I have a one year old and a full time job so I may try the idea of sanding/painting or putting a white wash on the oak trim of the cabinets for now. And I think I'll do the trim a creamy off-white with a pale green/blue/gray on the walls if I can ever pick the right color - if anyone has suggestions for wall color, please send!

I like the idea of adding pops of a more intense aqua and deep blue/bright navy and/or yellows/oranges in accents pieces/art and perhaps one of our doors to add some vibrance although we have 5 doors in that room (crazy I know but it leads to a dining room, breakfast room, living room, bathroom and has a door to go outside) so not sure that would work. If anyone has other ideas I'd love to hear them as well.

I'll post pictures as I make progress - thanks again everyone for your advice!
0 Likes   June 5, 2012 at 11:00AM
I know painting cabinets is a daunting task, but here's a tip. Use a paint pad. Not a brush, nor sponge brush, nor roller. One of those paint pads (or several; you'll wear them out) with the little hairs. It goes fast and leaves the surface silky smooth.
1 Like   June 5, 2012 at 11:34AM
Shannon Ggem ASID
Perhaps paint just the trim of your cabinets black (or deep navy blue): Master Bath

And then the walls a blue you love:

Personal Client at the Aria
0 Likes   June 5, 2012 at 1:04PM
sharleeg
I would not paint the trim a contrast color myself. Yvonne mentioned painting it all out same color and I agree. This is not a look that is done currently and to make it all one uniform color makes it look more current. Take a look and see that gray cabs are all the rage now. Ii would paint them out in a lt gray, such as BM Nimbus 1465 ( with modern stainless handles), then use a pretty Lt. blue/green on wall, such as BM Bali 702.. and use a bright gorgeous Caribbean looking blue such as BM Covington Blue HC 138 for the island for a punch of contrast and get your navy in by towels and other accessories. Best and luck and have fun!
0 Likes   June 5, 2012 at 1:38PM
Cynthia Mabary
Is the other side of the doors and drawers wood? If so, can you flip them, sand and paint or stain and maybe add knobs and pulls.
0 Likes   June 5, 2012 at 2:04PM
Susan Mills Design
Hello Katycc, I really like your inspiration pictures, the coastal look is so relaxing and fresh. I hear you when you say you are a busy mom and with a one year old and a job it does all sound daunting but if you take it easy and have a plan it won't be so bad.

1) stock up on some premade meals and snacks :)
2) have all items and supplies you need at hand.
3) do things in stages with a bit of time in between to recoup.

I would paint the trim the same colour as the cabinets and not a different colour as that would just draw attention to the cabinets. I would get them in as good condition as possible but then put the effort into diverting the eye. I think if you fix up the island by putting some beadboard around it and some legs for the open end, it will become much more interesting and substantial looking. Here is a link to see that idea.
http://foxfamilyincary.blogspot.ca/2011/11/diy-beadboard-on-our-kitchen-island.html

I also think that with a bit of effort you can create a nice beach glass backsplash with some faux painting. Here is a link for this. You could do small tiles with a bit bigger grout line in a range of colours that combine your paint colour and accents such as in the rug. I will post a picture of some beach glass tiles that you could take your cue from.
http://thisthriftyhouse.blogspot.ca/2010/11/my-kitchen-backsplash-looks-like-tile.html

So far these projects could be a Saturday each, and I think you would love the coastal vibe they give you.

How about painting that little stool a vibrant colour too, this would make it stand out more and look cute against the beadboard island.

Try to clear the counters from as much clutter as you can and also as much as you love blue and white, try not to add much white if you keep your flooring, the cabinets in this colour as the white will really make these things look yellowed and dirty.

So to sum it up, get rid of the trim on cabinets, spruce up the island and add some colour with a faux backsplash and I am sure you will feel much better about your kitchen until you can do everything you want with it.

regards
Susan Mills
1 Like   June 5, 2012 at 2:57PM
Susan Mills Design
Oh and of course paint the walls too! And the ceiling if it can be painted!
0 Likes   June 5, 2012 at 3:00PM
HI -- Really sounds like you need a new floor plan when the time comes - all those doors ! Plan ahead and think about maybe a little more remodeling to make a better kitchen floor plan . So don't get into making the kitchen too big of a fix up right now. Just do enough to make it look pretty . No construction just painting and not much of that either , that's hard to do with a small child to look after. And if you put too much of your time into it ,I think that is missing out on the baby. Save and plan for the new.
0 Likes   June 5, 2012 at 10:03PM
inkwitch
The idea of reversing the cabinet doors is a good one. Also, buy test samples first before you commit. I've tried to find the exact aqua color that you see in all those fabulous magazines, and so far, no luck. It's always too pastel, or the color goes "dead." Good luck!
0 Likes   June 6, 2012 at 3:51AM
stellikris
I have the exact same cabinets in my condo and I’ve been debated whether to paint them or just spend the money and replace the door. I’m fearful that if I paint the cabinets the paint will peel off with time and look worse!! Please post pictures because I’m dying to see what it looks like finished
0 Likes   June 6, 2012 at 5:52AM
Janis F
Paint out the wood trim to make it recede into the background, matching the laminate door color as much as possible. Find a base cabinet that you can put a trash pullout in (I recommend a 2 bin - one for trash and one for recycling). Adding knobs and pulls will help protect your new paint finish. Also, there is a new paint for laminate countertops but I'm not sure how durable it is, esp around sinks. Not sure what's going on behind the cooktop - is that a bulletin board? or are we seeing through to another room? Unusual location - maybe you could hang it on the inside of one of the wall cabinet doors so it isn't a distraction. At some point, the island could be changed to new cabinets finished in a color of your choice to become more of a focal point (you could even put the trash pullout and/or a cabinet to house the microwave there) and add a new countertop there in your choice of material and configuration (overhang on back side for stools?). Add a tile backsplash in your colors and it could become the focus. Be aware that if and when you do remodel, you might not be able to save the tile. This kitchen could be charming with very little expense and work, done in stages as you can afford. Good luck!
2 Likes   June 6, 2012 at 6:49AM
Loribeth - Moments of Art
Your cabinets were popular in the mid to late '80s, but not now. Paint the wood trim on the cabinet doors the same color as the laminate part of the doors. Do the same with the wood trim on the countertop. This will immediately update the look and get rid of the horizontal lines.

I wouldn't sand and whitewash the wood trim, because it will come out with a pink undertone that you won't like and that won't update the look.

Order some paintable wallpaper that looks like beadboard, and wallpaper the walls and backsplashes in your kitchen. It's really easy to use. I put it in my kitchen and in my bathroom. It's durable after it's painted. You can order it from Home Depot.

Here's the link for the paper: http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=202229620&storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&MERCH=REC-_-SearchPLPHorizontal1-4-_-NA-_-202229620-_-N

Paint the wallpaper Behr Ionic Sky 510C-1 or Behr Shallow Sea 520D-4. Both are nice aqua blue colors. I think the Shallow Sea will go better with the cream cabinets, but it might be a little dark. Of course, you could just forego the wallpaper and just paint the walls, but the wallpaper will give your room some texture.
1 Like   June 6, 2012 at 7:23AM
lynn sawyer
I have the same cabinets UGH! In my lake condo. I am thinking of using Rustoleum's new paint kit for mine. It says no sanding, priming---just paint. I am going to experiment with one small door to test. Keep your fingers crossed!!! I'm going to use the lightest grey the company has available then add brushed nickel hardware in a contemporary style.
1 Like   June 6, 2012 at 8:45AM
Susan Mills Design
Lynn post a pic when you have that door done as well as your comments about it, would be helpful for us all to know how it worked:)
1 Like   June 6, 2012 at 8:52AM
TM N55
When removing the doors to the cabs, mark them and replace them where you took them from. Laminate is tricky. I would sand and use TSP. Then prime with the 123 paint and that can be tinted. When you choose your colors you do want them to be cohesive throughout all the rooms. Do the swatch trick with painted cardboard and live with those for about a week or so. Place a large one on the cupboard you see the most, by the stove. I do like that bead board idea on the island too. You're kitchen backsplash could be a color that will make the cabinets pop. My cabinets are white, so the backsplash is a darker color than rest of the kitchen/dining room walls. I took my 1/2 can of leftover paint to the store and had them add 75% of a darker color that was in the same palate. There's a thought. You don't have to use the exact recipe of the color you choose. You can have them do samples of 75% or 50% and see how that shows. This job is going to have to last you for a long while so spend the little extra on samples and swatches of cardboard to get it the way you want. Maybe choose softer tones and then with the stool or pillows and the rug do the brighter pops of color. I like your rug choice. If you do a white for the doors and trim, a softer white would work, not swiss coffee, not Behr ultra white, somewhere in between. It will be easier to live with years from now. Can't wait to see pictures. Good luck
0 Likes   June 6, 2012 at 10:24AM
katycc79
Wow - thanks so much for all of the great responses - I'm very inspired and will definitely post pictures as I make progress. I have a lot of decisions to make first though. :) I love the ideas about backsplash on a budget and the island - my husband is an amateur carpenter so he's going to have some new projects after he finishes our adirondack chairs!

Speaking of my husband - he had an idea of covering the cabinets with a thin piece of wood somehow - I'm not exactly sure what he means or how this would work but has anyone ever tried something like that? I know everyone is going to say that b/c he's a carpenter that we should just build cabinets or door fronts or something, but please remember that all of that requires $$ and we are very tight in that area. :)

Someone asked about the area above the stove where a backsplash would be - it's actually strange (like much of my kitchen) but it's an aluminum type surface that's magnetic - so I've added to the kitchen clutter by putting up invitations and pictures of my son and dog. Hopefully I can come up with a better and nicer looking way to display these things - the bad decorating habits that you get into as life gets busy! ha ha

The reversing the doors idea is great too but I'm pretty sure as I sit here that they are the same on both sides unfortunately. And, putting the trash area into a cabinet is great - many of my friends have this in their new, beautifully renovated kitchens but I never thought about adding it to one of our existing cabinets - may stick hubby on seeing what he can do with that too. Thanks again all and I'll keep you posted!
0 Likes   June 6, 2012 at 1:46PM
Mint Design
Every major paint brand as a product to go over laminate; most require sanding. Consider renting or purchasing a flat sander to speed things up but do not sand all the way to the wood, then you prine with 123 bullseye and paint 2x and seal 2x or more. Allow 7 days for the bullseye to dry ....it will feel dry but needs to set, then 24 hours for each coat of paint and sealer......or purchase Rustoleum Cabinet Transformation kit and have them tint it the color you want and follow directions. I have not use the kit but for a client who needed a temporary fix till he could replace.....had to deal with a ton of permits in Sonoma County CA....I had the former done and it worked great. Good luck and let us see your "after photos! :)
2 Likes   June 6, 2012 at 2:12PM
Loribeth - Moments of Art
I've used the rustoleum cabinet transformation kit. It worked beautifully and was super simple. On my wood cabinets, I followed the instructions and didn't sand. However, I think I would still sand laminate cabinets, because I'm not sure how well the deglosser would work on a non-porous surface.
1 Like   June 6, 2012 at 2:51PM
katycc79
Ok - here are 3 additional pictures of my kitchen and one other inspiration picture. I'm adding them because I realized that I forgot to include the picture of my sad window and shutters - which will require paint/fabric/something - but perhaps this is a place that I could work in some color if I keep everything else calm and use accessories to fill my love of color. Critique away and send any thoughts - also, the second picture I think shows the aluminum/magnet backsplash above the stove that I referenced earlier. Thanks again to all!!
0 Likes   June 6, 2012 at 3:30PM
Janis F
Here's a good 2-bin trash pullout for an 18" wide base cabinet with a 15" wide opening - made by Rev-A-Shelf and available from kitchen stores and Lowes.
http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/090713/090713007076xl.jpg
0 Likes   June 6, 2012 at 7:56PM
yvonnecmartin
Is that fabric on the shutters? Are the frames wood? Definitely you could do something cool with these.

The color on the wall below the shutters looks too pale to me, but it could be because the shutters are so dark. I suggest that once you have the color for the cabinets that you take that chip to the paint store to help you select wall color.

By the way, I can plead guilty for having installed such cabinets in our former house. Right now I am enjoying the original cabinets in our house that was built in 1964. The lesson, classic is always better than trendy in something as expensive as kitchen cabinets--remember that when you redo your kitchen.
0 Likes   June 7, 2012 at 8:53AM
katycc79
yvonnecmartin - the shutters have wood frames and i'm honestly not 100% sure what to call the material in the middle - it's hard like plastic but looks like it has leaves melted inside it - sounds strange and it could've been pretty at one time but not my taste/color pallette - in similar shutters in my breakfast room my giant dog actually knocked a few of the center parts out and we've been planning to put fabric where they are now empty but we just haven't put them back up yet b/c the window and the backyard view from that room is so nice. all of that to say - i can definitely remove that part and use fabric - i'm going to test paint it but i'm not sure how that will turn out.

also, yes - the color i tested was too light but i've done some of the trim now and i'm going to test a few more colors this weekend. thanks so much for your input! and let me know if you have any ideas /pictures of ideas for the shutters - thanks!
0 Likes   June 7, 2012 at 10:29AM
katycc79
wanderer 27 - thanks for the info on the trash bin!
0 Likes   June 7, 2012 at 10:35AM
turnerc3
OMG....I had those same cabinets in my condo too!...and the same flooring...A FLASH FROM THE PAST for sure.

Considering ALL you have on your plate, I would KEEP IT SIMPLE as far as your kitchen reno goes.

Maybe a "monochromatic" theme..KEEP the Almond cabinet doors, white paint on the wood trim, and for a little punch up, DO PAINT BASE OF ISLAND a rich grey...with the white trim....then you could use your choice of blues on the walls or accessories....walls could be white or grey too.

I would see if you could find an almond or white replacement front panel for your dishwasher...sometimes you can reverse the existing panel and it has another color on the back side.

With a small child and a full time job....you need time to rest!
All the best to you.
1 Like   June 12, 2012 at 5:38PM
Linda
Pittsburg Paints has a product called Breakthrough which you can use on ceramic tile, laminate, and other tough surfaces. You can get it tinted as you wish, but it retails over $50/gallon and you can only buy it in gallons. My local store used it for painting a countertop and it still looks good even though it was painted a couple years ago and the surface prep wasn't particularly good. It does need to cure after application, so plan on leaving your cabinet doors open or take them off and paint them elsewhere.

I have had good luck painting kitchen cabinets with a foam roller
1 Like   June 13, 2012 at 6:16AM
Dar Eckert
Just thinking that you could use some of the beadboard wall paper on the doors. Put a wood trim border on the cabinet doors & paint all one color. May even want to remove a couple of the doors on the upper cabinets and paint the interior. Alternatively, have your husband cut the center out of a couple of the upper doors put the wood trim on as in the lower cabinets then put a fabric in the openings.
3 Likes   June 13, 2012 at 6:50AM
turnerc3
Katycc79
When you have a free moment, would you provide a photo showing your SHUTTERS OPENED UP...... What is the view on the other side of the shutters?.......view of outside or into another room?...................A photo of the entire kitchen would be most helpful too.
0 Likes   June 14, 2012 at 7:01AM
katycc79
turnerc3 - here is a picture of the open shutters and a picture of my oven area - i'll try to post one of entire kitchen but didn't have one taken on my phone here - send any tips!
0 Likes   June 19, 2012 at 3:28PM
stellikris
Does anyone have any finished pictures??? I can't wait the see the final project!!
0 Likes   July 11, 2012 at 1:18PM
katycc79
I've started painting but it is going to be a slow work in progress. Here is a picture I took on my phone from when I primed the trim around the window and began priming the shutters. I will post more as soon as I finish the walls/trim. I'm going with classic gray by Ben Moore for the walls instead of trying to find the right blue - and am going to accessorize with color. I also have decided to go ahead and paint the cabinets but am debating on whether to go all light or upper light/lower with a dark gray. So many decisions. I'll try to post as I make progress - thanks again to all who sent ideas and if anyone else has some, please feel free to share!
0 Likes   July 13, 2012 at 1:54PM
pansy704
Have you thought about removing a couple of the doors on upper cabinets & paint the backs in accent color which might break it up & you can "showcase" your dishes or accessories? Maybe even replace shelves w/glass ones?

Regarding the window - wonder if you could remove shutters all together & replace w/a Chinese Chippendale style screen w/the fret work or cut outs that would give you semi privacy & visual interest in addition to breaking up the cabinet look - Inspired by the bed frame on your Coastal Living pic & something you said about blue & white porcelain...
1 Like   July 13, 2012 at 2:45PM
katycc79
pansy704 - any suggestions on how to create your suggested screens and/or where to find something like that? I like the idea! Thanks for your input!
0 Likes   July 17, 2012 at 10:56AM
pansy704
try the vintage/antique malls or flea markets for the asian panels - I will see if I can find online & give you info Depending on where you live, i.e.; the West Coast, there are a lot of shops where you can find You could also have a handyman/carpenter make for you to fit window if you have a pattern/design you like
0 Likes   July 17, 2012 at 11:13AM
pansy704
See attached Image for the general idea & google images - chinese lattice panels
0 Likes   July 17, 2012 at 11:30AM
katycc79
thanks for the input pansy704, but i didn't see any images attached - no problem but just wondering if i missed them. thanks!
0 Likes   July 18, 2012 at 12:27PM
pansy704
Sorry about that, not sure why it didn't work, but google chinese chippendale patterns & look at the "images" - see if there's anything that you like to get the idea
0 Likes   July 18, 2012 at 1:58PM
katycc79
pansy 704 - just viewed the google images and there were so many things that came up that i've marked in my decor mags and have saved online - especially the chairs and could translate this to the shutters - you must have read my mind re style. i was actually planning to paint the inside part of our shutters and do a similar type stencil but if i can make this work would be much nicer. my husband does some woodworking so i'm going to see if he could use the frames of our shutters and create something like this - i hope he can - love this idea!! i'll post if it works out. thanks again!
0 Likes   July 18, 2012 at 3:02PM
pansy704
So glad you liked & I was able to get your design aesthetic - can't wait to see the pix! With the cutouts, should be visually interesting plus you will get the natural light from window & break up the cabinet doors...
1 Like   July 18, 2012 at 3:34PM
stellikris
I found a picture of someone who has the same kitchen cabinets as us and has painted them. Check out the blog post. http://www.shelterpop.com/2010/09/14/kitchen-makeover-with-paint/ I don't love the color but it looks like it look never nicely to the doors.

I would really love to know if the paint chips off with time??
0 Likes   July 20, 2012 at 8:19AM
ajnz833
you could do what I did and marry a contractor! 8*D
0 Likes   August 13, 2012 at 11:22PM
ginamcmurray1977
I have the exact cabinets in our new house. we are renovating the kitchen and are trying to save money. we will have to add new cabinets. what did you decide to do?
0 Likes   October 8, 2012 at 1:33PM
kerriejune
Hey Katy, Would you mind posting some updates? We have the EXACT cabinets in the house we're moving into, but we won't be in a position to truly renovate for some time. I'm debating a project similar to what you were planning to take on. Did you have any success with this project? Tips for me?
0 Likes   May 16, 2013 at 10:45AM
modfan
We had exactly the same cabinets as well, and I painted them with a Rustoleum brand paint that is used for refinishing countertops. It goes on very smooth with foam brushes and rollers, and so far is very durable. It is also very easy to clean because of the hard sufarce it creates. You just spray it down with 409 or windex and wipe it with a warm cloth, and it is good to go. We moved the existing cabinets around a bit because there was originally an island that stuck out from the cabinets that are directly in front of the fridge. It didn't give it the wide open feel. We also replaced the backsplash and continued the tile floor from our entry way, into the kitchen. Definitely a better look! Project totals:

Paint & Paint Supplies - $350 - Did it myself
Countertops - $800 - installed
Backsplash Tile - $250 - Installed $250 = $500
Floor Tile - Hard to say because this includes the whole entryway, entry hall, and landing for basement stairs.
Tile - $1000 - Installed - $1000

Total - $3650
5 Likes   May 16, 2013 at 11:11AM
Declutter, do not put anything on top of cabinets. Put trash can in a place you can't see. Buy 2 bar stools for island take out all rugs. Remove dish towels on oven. Keep neat looking is start. In as all kitchen. You need to keep counter tops clutter free. Having said that. I have painted cabinets like yours many times. You seem to have a modern look. I would paint a satin finish, I used Mink, it's a dark gray from Lowes. Add brushed nickel long pulls on all cabinets. Slate tile is very cheap. It could go right over counter tops. Put on island too. Don't forget to paint that. All lights should be nickel . You can rent a special from Lowes or Home Depot to cut slate. Make sure you ask for right one. Rental is cheap. Can do in a weekend.
0 Likes   May 16, 2013 at 11:30AM
Paint all walls the same I like pewter (a blue gray)by Benjamin Moore. Another really. Quick cheap fix. Paint is best thing you can do to improve room.
0 Likes   May 16, 2013 at 11:32AM
I just realized this is a year old post. Maybe you are reporting for advice??
0 Likes   May 16, 2013 at 11:35AM
decorgirly
would love to see what you ended up doing
0 Likes   August 26, 2014 at 2:55PM
Major kitchen updates needed on tight budget
I am going to overhaul this kitchen in the house we...
Kelley Blevins
How to update Kitchen on Tight Budget
Wife and I are looking for ways to update this kitchen....
jlc668
Need a new kitchen on a tight budget
My husband is a teacher and works 3 jobs and I work...
the3daffodils
Need kitchen color help!!! Tight budget
I am looking for input.....I need to repaint the kitchen....
tfharvey
Pamela Lomonaco
Need a good upholsterer
Two large sofa chair/loveseats
cachagua
Alternatives to marble floor tiles for master bath?
I will be building a custom home soon. I love the look...
vcbruce
Need help choosing a rug color
I want to change the rug and the runner in my kitchen,...
anelajakupovic
Entry Way MAKEOVER
Hi everyone, I'm almost starting with a blank canvas...
mandiio
What color should I paint walls after installing this ledger rock wall
There is very little wall left when looking at windows....
bobbi Bialko