Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wegiekatt

See-through fireplace between master bedroom and master bathroom.

Patti Harriman
9 years ago
Hi, I am building a house that I've designed myself (I'm just starting this process). I REALLY want to have the above in the subject of this post. The bathroom will be light, airy, and semi-fancy. The ceilings will be about 10' tall. I REALLY need some ideas!! Help!

Comments (17)

• PRO
    Cindy Sherman, CKBD
    9 years ago
    How about starting by hiring an architect/designer to draw it up for you and the builder.
    Patti Harriman thanked Cindy Sherman, CKBD
  • Patti Harriman
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you so much! Cindy.....yes, I'm going to be doing that, but first I want to go with pretty set ideas about what I want. So far, all of the ideas I've gotten gave been from Houzz, though the basic house itself, I've designed myself. It will be last house, my dream house. Shakuff....what wonderful examples, thank you!!!! My favorites are a combination of the Calgary one and the 2013 Parade of Homes one. One question.....although I understand from my research that the stand-alone tubs are going out of style , I've always loved them and wanted one. Would it look ridiculous to substitute one for the tubs in these two pictures or are there ways around that?
  • PRO
    Cindy Sherman, CKBD
    9 years ago
    If you prefer a stand alone tub you could certainly incorporate that just the same as any built in tub. The fireplace will only add depth to the divider wall between the bedroom and bathroom.
    Patti Harriman thanked Cindy Sherman, CKBD
  • Patti Harriman
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Ok! That's wonderful!!
  • PRO
    Shakuff
    9 years ago
    Yeah definitely go for the stand alone if that's what you want!
  • PRO
    Shakuff
    9 years ago
    Modern Tranquility · More Info

White Rock · More Info

Historic Bath Remodel (West Chester, PA) · More Info

Deephaven Contemporary · More Info

Ripple · More Info

Corona Del Mar Classic Contemporary · More Info

Model Home · More Info
  • PRO
    Shakuff
    9 years ago
    Ok I saw way too many gorgeous bathrooms when looking for those... now I need my own :)
    Patti Harriman thanked Shakuff
  • Patti Harriman
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hahaha....you have a great sense of humor, I get the feeling you love doing what you do, and I like your choices!:-) I'm sure that it's a very inconvenient tub, but who cares, as long as it looks good!:-)))) Thank you so much for finding me some GREAT choices!:-) You're only in New York? I used to live in the northern suburbs of Chicago, and we used to go down to the merchandise mart and order whatever we wanted. Well, just last week, I tried ordering some wallpapers from Houzz that I LOVED for the house I don't have yet, and they wouldn't let me!!? I guess I have a lot to learn, huh?!:-)
  • PRO
    Shakuff
    9 years ago
    Thank you and I do enjoy it! I live vicariously through this site hehe... We are a lighting manufacturer based in NY, but we ship worldwide! :) Check out our stuff, maybe you'll like some for your new place. It's all custom made to fit each space, and don't worry we will sell to you! haha. Why wouldn't houzz let you order wallpaper?? That's weird! Home building is a process I know...eventually you'll get the hang of it. You'll have lots of decisions to make coming up, which is where a designer is really helpful. As for the tub, if you love it, and it's your dream home...go for it! If you are worried, maybe build/ position it in a way that down the road if you want to switch it out for a regular built in that can be easily done. Have fun with your project!! My dream would be a freestanding tub with lots of room and very deep that I can soak up to my neck.
  • Patti Harriman
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Lights! Yes! I just saw some lights in this last "issue" of Houzz that I wanted so badly!! Were some of yours in there? New York!...Manhattan? I lived there for 9 years!:-) I've not quite gotten the hang of Houzz yet, though I'm getting there, and everything that I want so far has come from there, except for my house design! Anyway, I contacted the wallpaper company, and they would only sell to me if I were a designer!! To me that doesn't make a lot of sense if I'm fine with paying retail prices, but "oh well!":-) Anyway, I appreciate your listening to me, I'm VERY excite, in case you can't tell?!:-)))) Is your website listed here somewhere? I'll be going into my new house with just one chandelier that I'm keeping, I'll need lighting everywhere else, both in my main house and a guest house behind the main house! I love the unusual!!:-)
  • PRO
    Shakuff
    9 years ago
    Not sure if we are on that issue, I didn't see it... our website is www.shakuff.com, you can also click on our houzz profile name/pic to go to our profile. Lots of pics there. Now it makes sense about the wallpaper. Some companies only sell their products "to the trade," you will need a designer for access to those or purchase from a retailer/ e-tailer if they have one. There are others that won't even speak to the trade, and you have to go through a main distributor even... It all depends on the company, but we work with everyone. OK, well it was a pleasure speaking with you. Enjoy your new home and the design process. It's important to enjoy it and stay excited like you are. :) Do let me know if you need help with our lighting, and houzz is such a great resource for everything you need. Happy New Year!
  • PRO
    Shakuff
    9 years ago
    Oh and we are in Brooklyn. Manhattan is sooo passe now! Just kidding, but seriously speaking, Brooklyn is the hippest place to be now-a-days, so much has changed. The real estate market is insane... some places even exceeding places in Manhattan.
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    Stand-alone tubs are going out of style? I don't think so. My original clawfoot tub was cast in 1909 and it's still going strong (though it has been refinished a couple of times). I'm keeping it. ;-)
    Patti Harriman thanked groveraxle
  • Patti Harriman
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Shakuff! It's like you read my mind (website), your style is my style, too! :-) Well, you WILL be hearing from me, though it'll be awhile, as this is a long process!:-) I appreciate your kindness and help here! Now find a distributor in Charlotte, okay?:-)))) but no matter, I don't need to see in person:-) I breed exotic cats and sell then nationally and worldwide, mostly all unseen, it's just the pictures and the breeder's reputation!:-) and yes, I've heard that about Brooklyn!! It's just as well, Manhattan was getting WAY too expensive, which was predicted when I lived there. Hopefully the same won't eventually happen to Brooklyn, too! Queens next? Lol Anyway, thank again so much, it's been a joy talking to you!:-)))
  • PRO
    Shakuff
    9 years ago
    Actually many of our clients never see our products in person either! Though we can send samples if needed, but many never even ask. So cool you breed cats! I would love to see them. Patti, if you send a message through the Shakuff houzz page, I can email you directly. I don't like to post email addresses on here as there are so many spambots that can take the email and spam it. You can also go directly to the site, but I get the houzz messages directly to my inbox. Brooklyn is getting like that in parts...so much in fact, that I just bought a house out in the rockaways as pricing for a mortgage on a 3 br house (plus rental basement) for me was less than back in Brooklyn for a crumby 2 bedroom apartment for rent. Pleasure speaking with you as well! Enjoy the fun design process! Post any other design dilemmas you have here as I would love to help (where I can)! Also groveraxle ^^^ is really good with suggestions and photoshopped images to help visualize!
  • Patti Harriman
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Ok, will do, Shakuff! Happy New Year Everyone!:-)