design of a pantry and a butler pantry...HELP~
mommakatz
June 5, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We are ready to design the butler pantry and food pantry, ,,,,any great storage ideas?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Jeff Kern
mommakatz, too many people make the mistake of "over-designing" the pantry areas. There are so many gadgets out there that people think they have to have, but in reality are complete wastes of money. My suggestion to you is to make a list of what items you are going to be storing in each area. There are certain items that will require special storage space (ie: cookie sheets, wine bottles, canned goods, etc.) and then make provisions for those items that can't be stored on a flat shelf. Be careful not to "compartmentalize" too many items.

Here is where the "over-designing" comes into play, if you try to designate a space for every item, and buy little gizmos-and-gadgets to store them, not only are you wasting money but down the road you will end up with an area in the pantry that is not being utilized properly.

Our storage needs change through the years, so make sure you keep a majority of your space flexible to adjust with those needs. Pullout shelves are about the only "must-have" in a food pantry that I recommend to people, unless they have other uniquely specific needs.
2 Likes   June 7, 2012 at 11:12AM
mommakatz
thank you Jeff.....appreciate your thoughts and it makes sense! I am over thinking the whole thing.
1 Like   June 7, 2012 at 4:01PM
dmdwkrauss
Looking forward to using Houzz help me with new house
0 Likes   May 13, 2014 at 7:37PM