Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fredsfav

instead of 60" range hood, can I use two 30" hoods??

fredsfav
9 years ago
I have a blue ILVE 60" range (love, love, love!) that is being installed next to a wall; I will need a 60" wall range hood. Since I am not overly in love with any of the 60" hoods I have seen, is it possible to install two 30" hoods to equal 60"? It seems that the smaller hoods have a little more style to them. Any suggestions/ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (9)

• User
    9 years ago
    No, you need a single 72'' hood. Don't cheap out now.
  • Sally Pascale
    9 years ago
    That's an interesting idea. The thing you have to worry about is the amount of power you have to vent, big ranges require a LOT of CFM, and smaller hoods just don't have that amount. Usually a bigger range will need at least 1200 CFM, and smaller hoods usually only have 400 or so.
    fredsfav thanked Sally Pascale
  • User
    9 years ago
    If t has to go against a wall,and you only want a 30'' hood x2, it's too big for the kitchen all together.
  • fredsfav
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I'm sorry, let me clarify: the hood is WALL mount, the range itself is not perpendicular to a wall. The kitchen is 25' x 29'; I have plenty of room for a 60" range. I have the range centered against one wall with 54" of base cabinets on either side of it. If I go with a 60" range hood I will have 6" of empty space on either side of the hood as I only 48" of upper cabinets on each side of the hood. I guess I needed to clarify, what I wanted to ask is I saw a very cool cylinder looking range hood and wanted to know if I could get two of these instead of the 60" hood as the 60" hood just doesn't have a lot of pizazz. here is the link to the jupiter hoods:

http://www.futurofuturo.com/wall-range-hood-WL36JUPITER-GLS.php
  • User
    9 years ago
    A vent hood requires an *actual capture area*, preferably concave underneath, that is wider and deeper than the cooking surface below. It reqquires a filtration system that keeps grease out of the ductwork and that can easily be cleaned. A range that large, with as many BTU's as that has needs around a 1200 CFM externally vented hood, with at least a 10'' duct. You will also need Make Up Air, in order to replace the air that it vented out, and to keep ther combustion appliances from backdrafting and contaminating your home with carbon monoxide. If you are in a cold climate, you will need an HRV to that you can capture some of the heat that you are exhausting from the home.

That decorative doodad is COMPLETELY useless as a vent. It's for someone who never cooks.
  • PRO
    Futuro Futuro Kitchen Range Hoods
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Well, we're not sure about "completely useless", since the Jupiter model line happens to be one of the top 5 sellers of all time (37 years...), but yeah, we do not recommend it for heavy-duty applications, for the exact reasons mentioned above.

When it comes to ventilation, it's always a balance between:

Airflow (i.e. how many cubic feet of air are being *removed* from the kitchen, per minute)
    Make-up air (i.e. how many cubic feet are incoming to replace the removed air)
    Capture area (i.e. how much of the range are we actively capturing from?)
    Hood height above cooking surface (affects capture performance - the higher the hood, the worse it performs)
    Shape of the capture panel / box (affects airflow patterns, and thus performance)

Yes, the Jupiter is a gorgeous range hood (if we say so ourselves, ha), but for a 60" range, we would honestly recommend using THREE of them... which changes the budget calculations considerably.

On other other hand, if you don't really cook... it doesn't really matter.

• PRO
    7 years ago

Designer Range Hoods - Futuro Futuro "Jupiter Glass" Series · More Info

• PRO
    7 years ago

Designer Range Hoods - Futuro Futuro "Jupiter Glass" Series · More Info

Using a slim hood over a larger range + heavy cooking conditions = multiple units.