Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
megan_mooney1311264

New homeowners!

Megan Mooney
9 years ago
I'm in need of some advice on filling the space in my front formal living room. We need to buy furniture/rug, but the space is pretty big. First thing you see when you walk into the house. Lots of natural light from the front windows. I want the space to be comfortable, kid friendly, but nice. I love traditional style with some pieces that give edge. To the left opens to the dining room that has a robins egg blue on the wall. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments (5)

• groveraxle
    9 years ago
    It's a beautiful space. Don't be in too much of a hurry to fill it before you've let the house speak to you a bit. You need to learn how you'll use the spaces, how the light plays at different times of day. And don't be constrained by the colors; those can all be changed. (I can see right away that the robin's egg, though beautiful, doesn't play well with the pinky greige.)

If there is to be a TV here, consider having two areas in the space, one for TV watching, one for conversation and soaking in the view. In the meantime, just move your lawn chairs in and let the space talk to you for a bit.
  • Liz B
    9 years ago
    I agree with the previous comment. Live in the space a bit, don't do anything permanent, then see how your family lives in the space. Consider seasons, if you live in a four season climate. For example we live in four seasons and also have an open floor plan. We have a bank of floor to ceiling windows on the right and a fireplace in the left wall. So we angled our couch to give us a fairly even feel of both the view and the fireplace. We placed two large chairs across from the couch. So we basically have one large sitting area. In two corners we have my husbands reading/listening to records spot. And in the other side of the fireplace piano and library with comfy chair spot. In the winter I pull in all our plants to soften up the edges of the large square space. One large rug anchors the main seating spot. One thing is we don't have a TV so we didn't really have to contend with that view. Good luck with the design and remember to have FUN with it! Please show us what you came up with.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Also consider the architecture of the house and know what style(s) you prefer.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    9 years ago
    HI, A beautiful space! Agree with previous comments, including that the blue color is not working.

From the photos in your idea book, it looks like you like a more neutral palette anyway. You style is more "transitional".

The chandelier is much too small for the space. I would consider removing it.

Form follows function.

What is the purpose of the space (for what will it be used?) (entrance and formal living room?)
    Is there a separate family room? (I am guessing, yes).
    Will there be a tv in the space?
    Where is the entrance (by the stairs?)
    What are the dimensions?

Consider your lifestyle. What about something like a billiards table? Just one idea.

Whatever you do, I would recommend more than one venue in the room. It is large. The end wall with the accent lights needs to be impactful-----fireplace/large piece of art, etc.

[houzz=
    Contemporary Residence Boca Raton, Florida · More Info
    [houzz=
    Living Room · More Info
    ]
  • dclostboy
    9 years ago
    Also, when you do start furnishing, consider the "back" of pieces...furniture will be floating in the room rather than backed up to any walls.