Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tpizzle

Choosing colors for low light environment

Jim Schodler
9 years ago
Hello there, currently in the process of renovating my apartment and I'm unsure what to do. I am a fan of gray walls, walnut, and dark ceilings, but unsure if this will work given there's almost no natural light in our space. Our windows are facing another building, so we are typically in its shadow. We also have very limited in-ceiling lighting, but that could be changed if necessary. There are plenty of outlets for other forms of lighting as well.

The kitchen is also being redone with lacquer cabinets. Not sure if glossy or matte finish is important or what colors will make the small space (90" x 97") feel less cramp. The kitchen has a direct view of the living area and slider doors, only a half wall separates the kitchen and living area. Flooring will be the same for the kitchen and rest of the apartment for simplicity.

Overall, my thoughts are to go with a medium variance walnut floor (varying between light and dark slats) or oak, a white trim, medium gray walls, a darker gray ceiling, and some white cabinets with white countertops. The color palette for the paint are BM paper white (white, trim) , day's end (darker grey, ceiling), and steel wool (lighter gray, walls) and white matte cabinets with a white (or some variance) countertop.

Any tips or thoughts would be great. Thank you!

Comments (2)