Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dcresider

Does anyone have china cabinets? Think of getting rid of mine.

dcresider
9 years ago
We live in a 2 BR, 2 BA condo with extra space for a dining room. We rarely use the dining room (on rare occasions for parties) and have a china cabinet and a buffet table which hold our china and crystal. It seems no one has dinner parties any more and I'm finding that we rarely use our fine china. Are china cabinets and buffets passé? Should I sell? Will anyone buy them? All opinions are welcome.

Comments (21)

• hatetoshop
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Perhaps like me, your dining has become far more casual, making a china cabinet a bit of a white elephant. Free yourself -- I did.
  • dcresider
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    My husband thinks so too. We've had them for you 11 years, so maybe it's time.
  • PRO
    Hyde Evans Design
    9 years ago
    Homes that have the space for a more formal dining area still do them. Entertaining, even if it is just for the Holidays, still goes on and always will. Throughout a homeowners life the amount of entertaining they do will come and go with desire and availability of time, but it is still something that every client I have wants. If it really isn't your thing, then let the pieces go. I'm sure they will find a good home.
  • PRO
    Lauren Jacobsen Interior Design
    9 years ago
    I have re finished my client's china cabinet recently in a white lacquer with modern hardware. It really updated the look and now the piece looks relevant in even a more casual setting.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    9 years ago
    This is a FYI but china is meant to be used and washed it will last longer than stored away use it what are you waiting for I use my Wegdewood every day after an English aunt of mine explained how much longer it lasts . I have had mine for almost 40 yrs and just broke my first piece over the holidays. You can certainly try selling but if you need the storage a good idea is the one mentioned above to bring it into this time.And by the way we have dinner parties all the time so maybe you could start something new with your circle of friends.
  • Another Thyme
    9 years ago
    I was just going to say use your good china, but I see Patricia has already done that. Why should those pieces be saved just for company? We also have begun to use our "best" things on a regular basis. Enjoy!
  • marilynellis
    9 years ago
    There is a tyranny in having formal dining sets. My clients always find them the hardest thing to let go of when downsizing. If you don't need it and can do it I say GO FOR IT. Free at last!
  • txtea3
    9 years ago

I love china cabinets, could care less if its "in". They are beautiful and useful.

• cabingirl13
    9 years ago

If you don't use them and don't see the need for them get them out of your life!

• golfer32
    9 years ago
    I love my china cabinet - it is one of my most treasured pieces! It is solid wood and made in the USA - two qualities that are rare finds these days. And I use my china from time to time b/c we're worth it! :-)
  • Bea Parker
    9 years ago
    When my husband and I moved from a large house to our townhouse, I took the bottom of my beautiful china cabinet and placed it in our wide entranceway. It serves as a welcoming and useful storage piece. I hung a treasured watercolor over it and placed a lamp, bowl and flowers on the top surface. We get lots of compliments! (A friend took the top of the china cabinet and made it into a glass fronted bookcase.)
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago

I was just going to say....keep the china cabinet, but repurpose it so it is not for just china. You can still put some pieces here and there in it, but they are so fun to decorate other ways now, too. Books and pictures and other decor...just like shelves. And they can go in the living room or bedroom, too.

• sunnydrew
    9 years ago
    There have been past discussions about china and the needed cabinets for storage. Our homes and lives are continuing to evolve away from having those types of pieces in the dining room.

I have a huge cabinet and buffet in a dining room I rarely use but I am not ready to get rid of any of it. I just try to invite someone over now and then for a lovely dinner with us and use all my great dishes and crystal.
  • dcresider
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm in my 40s and in live in a condo where space is limited. While I like my china cabinet, I don't love it and am looking to downsize and live a more eclectic modern style.

• linlac
    9 years ago
    I like Bea and abbyjean's advice. Turn it into something new. I removed the top of my china cabinet and painted the bottom for a media stand. A lot of the older furniture is sturdy and well made. As far as selling, you can do it but you usually don't get much.
  • pdk920
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

If you get rid of the china cabinet, can you also get rid of, or find other space for, what's in/on it? Do you need that storage? Those pieces exist because they were needed. If you're sure you'll never want it, sell or donate it.

• HU-690099199
    last year

I want to sell my china Cabinet for 50 dollar but I don't know how or where to go online to sell it or if I can't sell it our donation

• PRO
    AiFL
    last year

I’m in my 50’s and my friends and I attend and/or host dinner parties, at the least, monthly (halted during the C, but now resumed), and I can’t imagine not using that as an entertainment option. And I’m pretty sure most of us use the things we own with regularity. But when you say, ‘it seems no one has dinner parties anymore’, it sounds a little wistful like you kind of wish they would. And if that’s so, then have one, you’ve got the dining room, china and crystal. How complex you make it is totally up to you.

• kbru53
    last year

I have a china cabinet that is not anything super special. We just did a remodel and I’m going to paint it black and put a fun wallpaper on the inside back wall. You can look at Pinterest for ideas

• hbeing
    last year

HU-690099199 Use your nearest craigslist.com - free to post. move the cabinet to your garage or outside so people don't have to come into your house.