Need help with the walls in my cottage kitchen area
steevesm
What should I do with the walls in my kitchen area. I have to paint as the walls are panel board so they cannot take a tile backsplash. Do I paint the walls the same blue as the living room or the same colour as the fireplace or a cream colour the same as the ceiling and rafters. Also do I paint the cabinets? If yes then what colour?
Any suggestions will be much appreciated.
Thanks for all your suggestions.
tlbeck
Don't try to match this paint but contrast it with a buttery yellow / Venetian plaster treatment. Then tackle your living room as it feels a bit cluttered. First I would move the matching woven chairs from the den to the end's of the kitchen table for a sophisticated but comfortable look. Then invest in a flat screen TV (you can get them less than $500) that can be installed over the shelves by the fireplace so you can easily orient your room. Use a yellow rug and scatter mix/match pillows with the yellow throughout the room. This will tie both rooms together. Last but not least, you might consider moving your dining table to the family room and put in a floating island in the kitchen with a couple of stools. Pulling it closer to the sink will make great extra cooking/serving space but also better delineate the walkway from the door.

Good luck!

Theresa
June 11, 2012 at 12:07PM   
Anita Roll Murals
I think I would paint the stone around the fireplace the same as the rafters and I would lighten the cabinets as well. I don't mind the wall color but the fireplace grey doesn't work with the other warm tones in the room. I agree I think a soft yellow on the kitchen walls with cream cabinets would look nice.
June 11, 2012 at 12:21PM   
HI -- I think the color in the living room is too bedroomy looking - a little cold . Benjamin Moore paint " flawless AF-320 "or 'handmade AF -325 . These colors will go with your cabinets. OR you can keep the wall color - if you love it , then you can paint the cabinets a white. BM color " cloud white CC - 40. And if you only want to paint just the backsplash then BM color " gentle cream OC -96 ".But above all else , you have to edit a little if you can.
June 11, 2012 at 2:48PM   
sarasauntie
You have some really nice things going on here! The black and white photos, the dining room set,the round mirror, the vintage accents. Nice! The color of the rafters would be where I would start in the kitchen. Try using it on your back splash and above the cabinets. See how that feels, & if you like it, that may be enough. Try this before you try painting everything. If it still feels like you need to change it up, work on something for the cabinets (which are groovy-cool btw!) I would reccommend a chocolatey brown wash. this will warm them up, add a little brown like your other accents and neutralize the golden color of the original finish.
The fireplace stones are unfortunately too cold with everything else. You may not be able to paint them due to fire codes but, if you can it would be nice to warm them up. I also think it would be great to hang your black and white photos in a grouping somewhere. Maybe even put them in the built in stone shelves. They add more character and interest than clear glass objects.
Good Luck! Keep up the good work, you have a cozy little home!
June 12, 2012 at 10:58AM     
Faireden
I totally understand if you do not want to paint the cabinets, but you call your home a cottage and I think white cabinets in a cottage kitchen are beautiful! I would paint all of the wood work; trim, cabinets, beams the same white. I love Dover white by Sherwin Williams. It seems that there are two different blues; the blue of the living room and the blue on the far wall of the kitchen? Not sure that may just be an illusion. But I would paint the walls in the kitchen and in the living room area the same blue (including the back-splash and above the overhead cabinets). Consider bead-board for your back splash. It also appears that your counter tops are a gray color consider a pale shade of that gray for the fireplace. Now you could do all of this without painting the cabinets and I think if would still look very nice. I love the chair in the foreground in the third photo!
June 16, 2012 at 8:43PM   
My bed area in my cottage needs your help.
I am looking for suggestions on what to do with the...
Need help designing my kitchen and living room area and paint wall?
im currently remodeling my kitchen (open plan) my sofa's...
Need help with low cottage windows in my kitchen!
We have an old cottage with a gorgeous exposed stone...
Need help picking kitchen counter and wall color for pine cottage
Our cottage, with cathedral ceilings, is completely...
I need help opening up my living area to my kitchen for better flow
I have a small house that is divided into 4 rooms plus...
I need ideas for chairs to go with a table i fell in love with
Here is the table. Medium brown /w/ a golden swirling...
Will these choices work????
Went to Ethan Allen shopping for new living room furniture...
Under cabinet hood or range hood ??
Please guide me what will be best option to put hood...
Need help finding window treatments!!
I cannot decide what window treatment would be both...
Master bedroom paint
I really like my bedding but the rest looks blaaa....