Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
perryl

I have 30 year old oak floors. If I sand them down, is there a product to get this finish? Thank you

perryl
11 years ago
1512 Dolphin Terrace · More Info

Comments (8)

• PRO
    ísARK Studio
    11 years ago
    I believe they "pickled" the floors seen in the picture here. This article might help you get the look you desire for your own oak floors.

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Bleaching

Happy Re-finishing,
    Finn Sigurdsson
  • PRO
    Spinnaker Development
    11 years ago
    This is actually a manufactured engineered floor. This particular floor has a poly finish rather than oil.

Short answer, yes I believe you could have a custom oil finish created by a local installer and try to match this type of look... The material here is white oak and the floors were wire brushed, the "pickled" look Finn was commenting on....
  • PRO
    Ralph's Hardwood Floors
    11 years ago
    We do a floor like this, we call it "Driftwood." It is a custom finish that can be applied to an existing hardwood floor.

Very cool look!!!
  • becky716
    10 years ago
    You could lime the floors to get this look.
  • jh77
    9 years ago
    I'd check the cost of trying to recreate this look versus going over your existing floor with a matching laminate floor (thats what this looks like to me.) Chances are the planks on your existing floor are much skinnier which would affect the look. My suspicions are that the costs would be about even, it might even cost more to refinish and customize your existing floor. Since laminate float, if you put in laminate and get tired of it in a few years, or if you go to sell and people do not like this custom look it would be easy to remove the laminate to reveal the original wood floor. Two potential looks for one price. At a minimum I'd buy a box of laminate and lay it down so you can be certain you will like the look in your place before you make this drastic move.
  • kcjarrett
    9 years ago
    OUr friends had Pickled wood floors throughout their entrance leading into the kitchen. Every 3 yrs she had to have a craftsman come and "restain" them and re-coat them. She even had runners. So, if you're into ongoing maintenance, have at it.....laminate would be a wiser choice.
  • PRO
    Ralph's Hardwood Floors
    9 years ago
    You can use a pickling white stain and just have a water-based finish applied and you won't need to redo them as often. This sounds like an oil, which does require frequent reapplication.